Hey I just got a new acoustic guitar it's nothing too fancy just a fender dg60 what in wondering is about fret buzz. My previous guitar was a burswood Esteban and I didn't have any buzz when I played, but on this fender if I play the lower half of a (fret) it buzzes. So say I'm playing on the third fret, if I'm I the middle between 3 and 4 it's fine and even if I'm really close to the 4th it's fine but once I get below half closer to the third it buzzes. Does it always do this? I never noticed this on my previous guitar. It seems to do this on every string so maybe this is just the beginner coming out of me and I'm wrong lol. Any advice is useful! Thank you
If you bought it at a store, take it back and have them check the, "neck relief".

If you didn't, post back and we'll go into more detail for you.
^^ This

Either way, no should be no big deal, so don't freak out. If you don't want to have to take it for a setup or correction, take it back and get one that doesn't buzz. Otherwise you might be out 40$ for a setup.
Guitar center charges $75 for a setup and some stores will purposely have their cheaper guitars needing it when purchased.
My reverbnation page

2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73 Epi 6830E
72 Fender Telecaster
Epi Dot Studio
Epi LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e uke
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Are you accusing Guitar Center as a corporate entity of fraudulent business practices? Have you reported this particular store to the Better Business Bureau? Do you have evidence of this?

In my experience, the opposite is likely to be true. Inexpensive3 guitars are shipped with the action purposely high, so that it can be easily adjusted "down" if the customer desires. Lowering the action being much easier than raising...
I've played a lot of guitars at our local GC... Acoustics and electrics both. All were reasonably well set-up and the only problem I've ever found was that they were out of tune from young lads trying to "drop" tune the things.
Well when you have your finger on the lower half of the fret, you have to press much harder or it will buzz; properly set up or not. Maybe your last guitar had bigger(jumbo) frets? That might make a difference. Most likely it just needs a simple truss rod adjustment.
Quote by MikeBmusic
Guitar center charges $75 for a setup and some stores will purposely have their cheaper guitars needing it when purchased.
I'm left handed, and I've never tested any guitar at Guitar Center.

ATM, I have 7 acoustic electric guitars, 3 of these are 12 strings. All of which have been bought blind though the internet. I can't say there's any consistency in the setups.

All of the guitars I thought could be better than the state in which they were shipped. That's variable also, but a couple were almost unplayably high, (2 Ibanez), 1 had a reverse bend in the neck and was too low, (a Fender "Sonoran"), and 2 of the 12 strings required a bit of lowering, but one came, and still is, almost perfect.

My latest addition,a "Limited Edition" Epiphone EJ-200CE (Left Handed), is setup great, but I think it could be made to play faster, by trimming somewhere between .010 to .020 off the action.

Point being, makers don't ship perfect. But I don't believe guitar dealers take apart guitar that are shipped to them, and then raise the action before they sell them either.

In the case of a noob, that just bought a guitar, I think most any dealer might give them a break on the price of a setup, if not help them for nothing for the good will it involves. Sometimes it's a simple matter of pulling a couple of shims from under the saddle. Now, if you expect frets filed and polished, and keep bringing the axe back saying, "it's still too high, you might run into a barrage of billing.

Anybody that plays the acoustic, (or electric for that matter), should be prepared to learn how to set it up, and how to maintain it. And learn it correctly before they try to do it.

I've seen local scandals for excess charges etc. coming out of Big Box stores like,"Best Buy". That said, I don't see it very often, and many times, it's the result of an overly demanding and irresponsible customer that provoked the incident.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 15, 2014,
guitar center usually throws in a free setup with new guitars, and of the several guitar centers i go to, i know that 3 of them at least never do anything to the setup of the guitars - they just put them out.

Quote by MikeBmusic
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
IMO, anyone that plays guitar would do themselves a great service by learning how to set it up themselves. It's not rocket science. It's 1000X easier than learning how to play one. You may need to invest a little bit on the tools; think I spent $40-$50 on some nut files, feeler gages and such. The information is free- many tutorials all over the net. I have 3 acoustics. All 3 needed truss rod adjustments for more neck relief. Ibanez came with the nut and saddle action set perfectly(bought this one used though). Washburn- saddle was good but nut needed filed, Guitar works travel guitar- nut was fine but saddle needed sanded down. Not many guitars are gonna come set up perfectly. Different players also like different set-ups depending on their style. For instance some players like some fret buzz while some don't like any. That's why I think it's good to know how to do this so you can set your guitar up the way you like it instead of paying someone and hoping they get it right for you.
Strongly agree. It's amazing to me how many people post "problems" with their instruments and can't even describe the parts properly. Most of these adjustments are not rocket science and should be part of the musician's repertoire.

It's the same with other areas, of course... I do a lot bike repairs and adjustments and folks will not even be able to properly describe the parts that are malfunctioning.