Hey. New here so go easy Sisters and Brothers.

I've been playing acoustic for 35 years but just bought my first ever electric, an Epiphone Dot. A whole new thing, with loads of stuff to learn about 'tone' and all.

I think I'm going to get Guitar Rig 5 on my laptop and play through that rather than buy a proper amp, for the time being. So I'm going to need some kind of usb speakers for the laptop to play this all through. Any recommendations?
First recommendation, don't get guitar rig unless you'll be mostly using it for clean and full-of-fx's sounds, it doesn't do distortion much good.

Also you'll need some kind of an audio interface to connect your guitar to your computer and get a half decent sound out of it - read the interfaces sticky in the recording forum for more info about that.

Also for info about amp simulators, there are some free ones you may wanna try before getting guitar rig.

As for the speakers, since you're likely gonna be getting an interface already you may either get a pretty small and cheap interface, say an unbranded guitar link, and a pair of usb monitors, or you may get an audio interface more expensive and a pair of monitors with analog inputs.

If you're going for the usb ones, on the reeeal cheap I like myself alesis' M1 Active 520 usb, then if you're going for some (better) ones with analog in's, have a look at the M-Audio BX5 mkII's.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Nice one, Spambot 2, thankyou.

Guitar Rig is the only amp/effects simulator I've come across, I didn't know there are free ones. Could you recommend some, please?

Because I'm completely new to electric guitar I thought a simulator would be good to play around with and get ideas about tones before choosing a real amp.
Quote by Spambot_2
Also you'll need some kind of an audio interface to connect your guitar to your computer and get a half decent sound out of it - read the interfaces sticky in the recording forum for more info about that.

i see this mentioned quite a bit and i generally post to disagree with this.

i have plenty of recordings using an 1/8" TRS cable with a 1/4" TS adapter on it, i feel the quality is at the very least 'half decent'.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play733334

this next recording has two guitar tracks, one mic'd up through an interface and the other done in a hotel room with a crappy cable going through the native soundcard. just so you can hear the two tones right next to each other in the mix.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/play702960

mind you, i agree a decent interface offers far better I/O options and allows for more flexibility higher quality. but for someone on a strict budget that is just playing out of their computer for fun i don't see it being imperative that they get an interface to hook up to amplitube or guitar rig.

in fact i very much disagree about getting a 'cheap interface' over using the native soundcard. i very much dislike almost every sub-$100 interface i have tried and i wouldn't feel good urging someone to get one when their native soundcard will sound as good or better when being plugged directly into.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 13, 2014,
Quote by Solid Air

Guitar Rig is the only amp/effects simulator I've come across, I didn't know there are free ones. Could you recommend some, please?

Because I'm completely new to electric guitar I thought a simulator would be good to play around with and get ideas about tones before choosing a real amp.

You can try Amplitube 3 actually, there's a free trial version of it (I think) with few amps and cabs.
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX 50 with Dimarzios
Modified MIM Fender strat with schaller floyd rose
LTD EC-1000 with EMG's
2x LTD EC 401

Amps:
Marshall JVM205h
Fender Mustang II

Other bits and pieces:
D'addario strings
TC electronic g-major 2
This would work great and is pretty cheap

www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/line-6-pod-studio-gx-with-pod-farm

If you have an Ipod, Ipad or Iphone you can get these and they are pretty decent especially for the price

www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/peavey-ampkit-link-guitar-interface-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
@Gumbilicious, differing viewpoints all welcome here my friend, You give me plenty to think about. Thanks for sharing those tunes, too.

@MatejSJ, I'll check out amplitude stuff, thanks mate.

@Robgnarley, I just saw that ten minutes ago on Premier Guitar magazine. Will it work on a laptop or only on the ipad thingy?
the second thing I listed is the Peavey and it will only work on Ipod/Ipad/Iphone

The Line 6 I listed will work on PC/Mac but not Ipod/Ipad/Iphone.

where are you located in the world, I might be able to find you something cheap.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
the second thing I listed is the Peavey and it will only work on Ipod/Ipad/Iphone

The Line 6 I listed will work on PC/Mac but not Ipod/Ipad/Iphone.

where are you located in the world, I might be able to find you something cheap.

I'm in England, Rob.

Thanks for your help.
sweetwater has jbl lsr monitors buy one get one half off. you could score the lsr305s for $225 shipped. thats pretty amazing. and i used a presonus audiobox usb. can be had for 100 and even less used. the monitors are great. i have them myself.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
amplitube is pretty solid if you have some decent monitors. but i def prefer my blackstar metal of course. i still use the amplitube for the tuner from time to time. and it worked until i had the funds to get another amp.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Amplitube is a great amp sim, however i find the cabs a little to be desired.

its pretty cheap and reliable.

if you wanna go a bit more advanced, look into the Reaper DAW ($40/£30 i think)
and then get some lepoulin plug ins they are mostly free and pretty damn good
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Quote by Solid Air
I'm in England, Rob.

Thanks for your help.

Here is the L6 from GuitarGuitar in the UK www.guitarguitar.co.uk/recording-studio/detail.asp?stock=08103114382129

You can also check www.thomann.de they have good prices and ship all over EU
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for sorting that out for me, Robbgnarley.

Thanks everyone else for your input. I'm gonna spend my weekend checking out your recommendations.
Quote by Solid Air
Thanks for sorting that out for me, Robbgnarley.

Thanks everyone else for your input. I'm gonna spend my weekend checking out your recommendations.

Yeah, it is kinda sick that I know all of these music stores that I will never ever visit because I live in the US

Thanks UG
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
All of those above are good choices.

You can also go the DIY route and get an USB to 1/4 cable/audio adapter (like Guitarlink) and USB or regular monitors, even some decent computer speakers and get free amp sims like LePou, etc.

Behringer Guitar Link says "Stereo Headphone output lets you jam with your computer and can also be used for monitoring with active monitor speakers", anyone know if that can be connected to monitors?
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCG102.aspx

Alternately you can get an audio interface and add powered monitors instead of USB monitors. I am a fan of Studio One which comes with its own amp sims, Presonus audio interfaces come bundled in with that. There are also dealers for softwarer with the other manufacturers that you can use to get started.

On the cheap I like the M-Audio AV 40 delivered really decent results when I mixed in a guerrilla garage situation. You could also go up a tad and get the Alesis MKII, but if you're on a budget M-Audio is pretty good for starting out.
Last edited by diabolical at Aug 14, 2014,
Quote by diabolical
Behringer Guitar Link says "Stereo Headphone output lets you jam with your computer and can also be used for monitoring with active monitor speakers", anyone know if that can be connected to monitors?
You can connect the headphones out to the monitor's line in, ideally with a lower input sensitivity.

As for the samson, they may as well just work but there's not one chance they'll sound even half decent, and 2 20w amps in a two way speaker, or one 20w amp depending on how you wanna interpret the description, will not be loud enough for most people.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.