Im wanting to get someone one to build me a gibson LP 59 replica guitar. Someone that knows what there doing. I cant find anyone to do this you have any advice?
Google "luthier" and then the place you live.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
That is the shallow and pedantic answer...and basically correct.

If there is nobody in your area, what kind of budget are you talking about?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
A hand built replica will cost a fair bit from an unknown builder & resale value will be low. If you go with a reputable replica builder it will cost more than a custom shop Re-Issue but will be sale-able to those special buyers. Gil Yaron is one of the top builders today and his commands big bucks.
Moving on.....
Well, in the USA, some luthiers prices start around $1200-1500 for their standard designs, $3500 for premium designs, and full custom work starting around $2500.

More established American luthiers start their prices around $3500-5000 for most models.

I've seen UK luthiers whose work started as low as £1000, but those guys tended to specialize in a few designs. For instance, Stevens UK is in that price range, but AFAIK, only does Telecaster style guitars.

And- no kidding- I know of luthiers whose base models start at $10-25k.

So...realistically...what is your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 13, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well, in the USA, some luthiers prices start around $1200-1500 for their standard designs, $3500 for premium designs, and full custom work starting around $2500.

More established American luthiers start their prices around $3500-5000 for most models.

I've seen UK luthiers whose work started as low as £1000, but those guys tended to specialize in a few designs. For instance, Stevens UK is in that price range, but AFAIK, only does Telecaster style guitars.

And- no kidding- I know of luthiers whose base models start at $10-25k.

So...realistically...what is your budget?

Yeah, seriously. People may say that budget isn't a concern, but I find that those people usually don't know just how expensive custom built instruments can be. $10,000+ is not even close to unheard of.
Best bet for a truly accurate LP 59 copy- short of buying one of Gibson's own reissues- is looking at Japanese makers like Bacchus, Tokai, Edwards, Burny, etc. Up until a certain point in time, their business model was trying to duplicate classic Gibsons as closely as possible.

...which they still do, but with certain design tweaks to avoid being sued by Gibson again. Check out the Ultimate Les Paul thread and ask around in there. One or two of those guys REALLY know their Japanese LPclones.

There are Japanese sites they go to get what they want, but they pop up on eBay, too. Looks like the '59ers are running $900-1500 or so.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l2632.R2.TR8.TRC1.A0.H0.Xburny&_nkw=burny&_sacat=3858

www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=burny&_osacat=3858&_from=R40&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l2632.R-1.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xbacchus&_nkw=bacchus&_sacat=3858

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 14, 2014,
Quote by KenG
Gil Yaron is one of the top builders today and his commands big bucks.

$10,000, and his waiting list is somewhere between six months and a year.
Quote by jpnyc

6 months to a year isn't thaaat long.

if you aren't hung up on the headstock having an open book shape, Larry Corsa makes some great LP's.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
There are builders out there, but you probably won't hear about them on a public forum.
You'll have to make some friends on the LP-specific forums and word will filter down to you. Check MyLesPaul and others, but be subtle and learn to spell <G>.
Quote by gregs1020
6 months to a year isn't thaaat long.

if you aren't hung up on the headstock having an open book shape, Larry Corsa makes some great LP's.

Are you talking about the Manalishis?

If so, I wanted one soooo bad for soooo long
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by jpnyc

does he use the right type of glue?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
does he use the right type of glue?

Yes Luthiers like this guy deal in historical accuracy details that you can't even see.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Yes Luthiers like this guy deal in historical accuracy details that you can't even see.

IIRC Yaron’s speciality is replicas that look very close but fix some problems he perceives in the original. It’s kind of tough to keep track of his models because his web site sucks.
Quote by KenG

good job, i'm just about sick of having to tear my guitars apart to put them back together with the right glue
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
good job, i'm just about sick of having to tear my guitars apart to put them back together with the right glue

I might sig this...
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Gibson have been making LP's for over 60 yrs, longer than anyone I have ever heard of.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
couldn't resist
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Robbgnarly
Gibson have been making LP's for over 60 yrs, longer than anyone I have ever heard of.

And for the last 53 of them, they've been unable to clone the one everyone wants.

Instead, we've got guys who come expert-squinting closer able to do them in their garages and home workshops.

What's up with that?
Quote by jpnyc
IIRC Yaron’s speciality is replicas that look very close but fix some problems he perceives in the original. It’s kind of tough to keep track of his models because his web site sucks.

Yaron's original guitars were quietly done spot-on replicas.

Like those from Max and Derrig and a few others, they'd fool experts.

Since then (and because he can no longer fly under the radar) he (like Max before him) has begun putting out guitars that have all the good and a few upgrades over the originals, but that don't have the Gibson logo.
Quote by Dave_Mc

You'd be amazed at the stuff some people fret over in their guitars! I know I am at times.
Moving on.....
^ Yeah same here

I mean, don't get me wrong- wanting to have good gear is a good thing. But there kind of comes a point where it's "good enough" all the same, at least for me.

Granted if something is super-expensive I suppose you're somewhat justified in wanting it to be perfect, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just remembered The Heritage make some nice Gibson guitars in the original Kalamazoo factory. The company was started by some ex-Gibson employee's that did not want to move to Nashville in the 80's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Just remembered The Heritage make some nice Gibson guitars in the original Kalamazoo factory. The company was started by some ex-Gibson employee's that did not want to move to Nashville in the 80's

Yes and they look remarkably similar to the Gibson models in some cases. Great reputation but I doubt after 30+ years there'd be many original Gibson Kalamazoo folks other than the owners still there.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Yes and they look remarkably similar to the Gibson models in some cases. Great reputation but I doubt after 30+ years there'd be many original Gibson Kalamazoo folks other than the owners still there.

I was just giving an option to TS and as you said, they are nice guitars
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate