Hey forum!

I am slowly but surly putting together a pedalboard. Ive had a Boss Me-70 for about 2 years now and now want a legit pedalboard. I want to know some must have pedals or just good or awesome cool pedals to have just to have fun. I understand a overdrive or some other gain pedal or two and stuff like that but what are some things that you have to have.

Thanks all help is appreiciated.
It depends on your definition of "must have." If we're talking what pedals are most useful, then I would say a noise suppressor and a tuner.

"Good, awesome, cool?" A delay, octave generator, looper, gain, reverb, wah (admittedly, I hardly use it at all).
Last edited by chrismendiola at Aug 13, 2014,
What do you use on the me70? What do you play? What's your amp?

Answer these for much better suggestions. That said, an EQ pedal is almost always useful. There's few genres that don't use delay from time to time. Mooer has some "fun" pedals. The lo-fi machine looks really cool. The shimverb isn't bad.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
You only need a tuner and some kind of overdrive or a boost for solo's other than that you are pretty much set. Everything else is just flavor. You can use a Wah if you like that kind of effect If you wanna scare the *** out of people in the front row buy a Flanger.
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX 50 with Dimarzios
Modified MIM Fender strat with schaller floyd rose
LTD EC-1000 with EMG's
2x LTD EC 401

Amps:
Marshall JVM205h
Fender Mustang II

Other bits and pieces:
D'addario strings
TC electronic g-major 2
Last edited by MatejSJ at Aug 13, 2014,
Personally I always have an OD, Fuzz, delay and Reverb.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Tuner is the only thing I would say you can't get along without. I'd also say you need some sort of dirt pedal but what kind is entirely up to you. If you're getting your distortion from your amp all you need is maybe a boost, if your amp is clean you're probably going to need something more. Also fuzz. You always need fuzz. Everyone needs fuzz.

Compressor, EQ, and Delay are common.
a tuner, wah, OD pedal, and maybe delay, reverb

My pedal board is tuner>wah>OD>OD>noise gate.

Everyone's needs will be different
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Or consider an all-in-one like the Digitech RP-500 before you get too far. I ditched a pedal board with Big Muff, compressor, Boss pedal delay, chorus, gate, and separate volume pedal along with the 3 switch amp controller I had for one. It has a tuner, looper, and can model amp cabinets along with a variety of effects. Too many useful features to detail here. Trade offs are chain control, using multiple effects of the same type in the chain, single point of failure.
Quote by Singe.Sear
Or consider an all-in-one like the Digitech RP-500 before you get too far. I ditched a pedal board with Big Muff, compressor, Boss pedal delay, chorus, gate, and separate volume pedal along with the 3 switch amp controller I had for one. It has a tuner, looper, and can model amp cabinets along with a variety of effects. Too many useful features to detail here. Trade offs are chain control, using multiple effects of the same type in the chain, single point of failure.

read the OP, he has a MFX and wants a pedal board.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by tas38
What do you use on the me70? What do you play? What's your amp?

Answer these for much better suggestions. That said, an EQ pedal is almost always useful. There's few genres that don't use delay from time to time. Mooer has some "fun" pedals. The lo-fi machine looks really cool. The shimverb isn't bad.

Mostly the Core distortion (its the best sounding one) and the chorus and sometimes the wah and the tuner. I play a little of everything. Metal, punk, alternative, classic rock etc.
Last edited by FALCON1243 at Aug 13, 2014,
For me-

Overdrive
Distortion
Fuzz
Reverb
Delay
Chorus
Compressor
Boost
Loop pedal

Kinda vague but, ehh.

Edit- Oh, I forgot wah pedal. Gotta have that sonnn bitch.
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Aug 13, 2014,
If you don't want to lose all the flexibility from MFX, then consider tacking this on there somewhere:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MS50G?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CNv4xNvDkcACFQ8daQodllMA3A

Then you have the best of both worlds; even if you only use the multistomp occasionally.

The other must-haves for me are aluminum channel trim (that way you can get away with using light 1/4" plywood), something to ensure everything gets powered, and handles on the sides to make it easier to move around safely.

Some type of strain relief for cables (power, amp, and guitar) can save your gear in case someone trips on a cable.
Quote by Black'n'Tan
If you don't want to lose all the flexibility from MFX, then consider tacking this on there somewhere:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MS50G?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CNv4xNvDkcACFQ8daQodllMA3A

Then you have the best of both worlds; even if you only use the multistomp occasionally.

The other must-haves for me are aluminum channel trim (that way you can get away with using light 1/4" plywood), something to ensure everything gets powered, and handles on the sides to make it easier to move around safely.

Some type of strain relief for cables (power, amp, and guitar) can save your gear in case someone trips on a cable.

I actually have looked into the multistomp. I might get one just because they are cool.
I watched the video and see how the pedal could be really cool tinkering around the house. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how it could ever be useful while actually jamming with friends or on stage. The guy never stomped the pedal once. All stomping does is turn stuff on /off. To change an effect you have to hit the tiny buttons on the side with your finger. Maybe I'm missing something but this thing seems useless
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 13, 2014,
I got this Visual Audio Route 808 tubescreamer copy, and I will never be without one again. The difference is like Vitor Belfort with or without TRT. Or Barry Bonds with or without roids.
Tuner>Wah>Overdrive>Multi FX Unit>Delay>Reverb

Should get 90% of people to where they wanna be.

Just make sure to buy good stuff, not cheap shite or you'll be replacing them in no time and its money down the pan.

When i say Multi Fx i mean something like the Line 6 M5 or the Zoom MS50 or Korg Pandora. Something smallish
What's essential on your pedalboard have no use to someone else.

Obviously the basics are a good start; tuner and a good, silent power supply, but apart from those two, I wouldn't say there's such a thing as 'must haves' that apply to all guitarists.

Think about what effects you use the most on your ME-70 and have a listen to some demos on the web. Choose a few effects that you decide you can't live without and buy nice pedals for those (post another thread if you want some recommendations (e.g. 'what delay should I buy)) and then something like the Zoom MS50G or Line 6 M5 would be a good idea to fill in any gaps left and play around with new sounds.
[404]Signature not found
My setup is tuner>wah>Digitech whammy DT> ds-1>ibanez tonelock distortion>rocktron zombie>EHX big muff> EHX small clone> digitech jamman delay looper.
you don't need all the distortions , but i play in a rock band and a metal band, so i need some different distortions. But i would recommend the tuner, a wah, distortion, fuzz, chorus, delay.
Quote by FALCON1243
the thing is with the klon is that a real one is crazy expensive.

dude if you want useful answers then you're gonna have to give way more info.
Tuner.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I like playing with effects on my POD when I'm recording, but when I'm jamming I like to keep my signal pretty clean with the least amount of effects possible.

My essentials are the Pitchblack and the GE-7 in the loop. I used to the use my Bad Monkey religiously but I find it doesn't really do much with my JCA50 (which is weird).
Hy there,

i want to ask if someone tryed out the Morbid Drive Pedal from Weeboo?
What do you think of it??
all i usually run is a tuner and a few OD's. some times a wah or vibe, but not often. most of my home playing i just use OD's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
For me, a delay is a must-have. I love the sound of a solo with a touch of delay. Makes my leads and solos stand out, can do some cool things with cleans, create atmoshpheres, etc. I've got the TC Electronic flashback and have been very pleased. A lot of different settings on there so you've got a lot of options.

Apart from that, I've got a few dirt pedals which comes in handy. I run my amp clean for gigs as a lot of our songs call for that clean tone, and then I've got an OD for light gain, an OD for medium gain and a distortion pedal for some serious crunch. Might be overkill, but I like being able to go from anywhere from totally clean to heavy crunch with the stomp of a switch.

Phasers and Flangers are fun to play with. I have both and don't use either very often, but they are a blast to mess around with when you are just messing around.

So I'd say for starters get a dirt pedal or two, a couple modulation pedals and go from there.
I agree with Tas38. Replace the sounds you use. An easy to see turner like the TC Electronics and a good EQ will set you up well. Reverb only if you don't like what your amp's can do.

As far as dirt pedals go get ones that don't match. Then stack them to get more than either by themselves will give. I like using a WIIO or Tweed 57 for a harsh clipping. A klon clone or a Dirty Little Secret for smoother drives. Combine any two or three for AWESOMENESS.
One of the most recent, and important, additions to my board was a power supply. I went with the Voodoo lab 2 Plus. It regulates the power and saves having to rely on batteries and searching for extra plug sockets for your single adapters.

I held off buying one for sometime as they can be quite expensive (£120+) and they don't have any real noticeable effect on your sound as a delay or reverb would. However, your other pedals will always be at there optimum and I've found it saves time setting up.

Other pedals which I have for any gig would be a noise gate, tuner and delay.

Hope this helps