hello wonderful people! I am in the market to buy a new guitar and I was hoping for some more experienced advice before I spend hundreds of dollars.

I play mostly metal and alternative rock. So bands like disturbed, breaking benjamin, three days grace, skillet, as i lay dying, papa roach, all that remains, killswitch engage, ect. My skill level is intermediate I would say.

I just have a few aesthetic preferences. I would prefer the guitar to be black or maybe red. Also if at all possible I would like the inlays to be anything other than the standard circles. and also i know it's picky but I really have a thing for flat pickups i just love them so that would be wonderful. I don't care if the guitar is new or used, but my budget is about $550 or less.

Thank you so much anybody who can help I just want some advice considering the big investment!
You'll want to get a guitar with humbuckers. My advice is to go down to your nearest music store and tell someone there what you want. Also, look online on ebay or some other website of that sort and look for used guitars in your area, so you can try them before you buy.

I won't suggest any particular brands because there are heaps out there that would do what you want them to. Good luck on finding one!
Guitars good for that are esp ltd and or schecter and they both have guitars that are good for that genera of music.
You sound like a Schecter kind of guy. You can get a higher level C1 series like a custom or classic used for $400 or less. They have cool inlays, too.
I rap for mill-i-ons, sesquipedalians.
See eBay for a Schecter C1 or ESP LTD. Just recently got a used LTD mh350 off eBay for 450 with a hardshell. Guitar is next to new only issue is a small chip in the paint at the point of the headstock. while this may not be your experience, you can definitely get more bang for your buck (and still get a nice condition instrument) looking used.
Fernandes is a Japanese company that caters to guitarists playing the harder genres of rock. Right now, their direct-sales website is having a clearance sale.

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com

Supplies are limited, so whatever sells out is gone. The discounts are deep: even if you ignore the MSRP and only look at how they compare to street prices, the discounts are still multiple hundreds of dollars off for most models. For instance, I was looking at the SHIN Ravelles last yea- I wanted the Koi model. They're @$1200 most places.

http://www.amazon.com/Fernandes-Guitars-Series-Ravelle-Deluxe/dp/B004O6M9PA

The SHIN Ravelles on clearance on Fernandes' website are only $599...and they sold out of the Koi before I could get one.*

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/shin-series-guitars/55-ravelle-shin-dragon.html

(BTW, that's a good guitar. I have 2 other Ravelles, one of which is a Goldtop LE with identical technical specs to the SHIN Ravelles.)

So look around- good deals to be found there.

* I actually bought the last one in stock, but they cancelled the sale because they said it had a defect.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 14, 2014,
Quote by QOTSA-SFTD
You sound like a Schecter kind of guy. You can get a higher level C1 series like a custom or classic used for $400 or less. They have cool inlays, too.

I agree. I play a lot of metal and hardcore and my c-1 hellraiser has never let me down. gothic cross inlays are pretty cool. and you just can't bet the quality to price ratio of a good ol' schecter.
Look for an used PRS SE Torero. They were available in both scarlet red and grey black:

Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
A used EPS (Ltd is preferable) or PRS would serve you well, I think. If you can find one, a used Superstrat with hot humbuckers would also be good. For your budget, you will get the best bang for your buck if you get a used guitar.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Fernandes is a Japanese company that caters to guitarists playing the harder genres of rock. Right now, their direct-sales website is having a clearance sale.

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com

Supplies are limited, so whatever sells out is gone. The discounts are deep: even if you ignore the MSRP and only look at how they compare to street prices, the discounts are still multiple hundreds of dollars off for most models. For instance, I was looking at the SHIN Ravelles last yea- I wanted the Koi model. They're @$1200 most places.

http://www.amazon.com/Fernandes-Guitars-Series-Ravelle-Deluxe/dp/B004O6M9PA

The SHIN Ravelles on clearance on Fernandes' website are only $599...and they sold out of the Koi before I could get one.*

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/shin-series-guitars/55-ravelle-shin-dragon.html

(BTW, that's a good guitar. I have 2 other Ravelles, one of which is a Goldtop LE with identical technical specs to the SHIN Ravelles.)

So look around- good deals to be found there.

* I actually bought the last one in stock, but they cancelled the sale because they said it had a defect.
I have absolutely no need for another guitar, but still the temptation is killing me.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
It's not about need, it's about satisfying the axe monkey on your back.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
It's not about need, it's about satisfying the axe monkey on your back.

True. I'm just worried I'd need to follow up a new guitar with a loft conversion for space.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Well...

BUILD THAT SONIC TEMPLE, BABY!!!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 14, 2014,
A Gretsch Pro Jet in black would fit the bill. Crystal clear cleans with a bright overdrive tone. Great for some alternative stuff. Try them all if you can.