Page 1 of 68

Following the shooting of Michael Brown, an unarmed black man, by police in Ferguson, Missouri, there has been some expected outrage. Things are absolutely intense in Ferguson, Missouri as I am typing this. Protests and outrage are currently underway and it is being responded by a completely militarized police force and SWAT teams including assault rifles and snipers. They are using their right of assembly, they are angry, they are mourning and are looking for accountability. (UPDATE: They are now using tear gas on the crowd and shit is hitting the fan again.) There were also several reports of police firing tear gas towards individuals protesting on their own personal properties. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXhtvd0o2Fw

For a thorough description of what is going on, I suggest reading this Twitter account. https://twitter.com/WesleyLowery He's a reporter for the Washington Post that's been on the scene for hours now. Earlier tonight, he was arrested and released. A really important Twitter feed to read. There have also been many other reports of journalists being harassed.

Some seriously reprehensible stuff going on there right now and more attention needs to be drawn to this incident. Please share these stories and information and help get some accountability for Michael Brown and the people of Ferguson.

Some additional links and information (may be added to later):
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/31/32-officers-killed-by-gunfire-nationwide-last-year-lowest-since-1887/
http://www.businessinsider.com/missouri-state-senator-gassed-while-protesting-in-ferguson-2014-8
LIVE STREAM
**** the police
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery
**** the police

Try to keep this stuff out of here. Trying to keep this a serious thread.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Well... Shit's about to go down now. Police are gonna advance on protesters and broadcastors and journalists have been cleared out.
Quote by lolmnt

considering he's from iceland, his sentiment towards american police is probably 100% serious.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Live stream added to the OP.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
https://vine.co/v/MYdrMdbVwWP

This is happening right now. Protests today were for the most part peaceful.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Unfortunately, for many of the dumb and distant people who follow this from afar, aka most people, this only further dichotomizes the issue when it seriously deserves intelligent and focused discussion. The inflammatory use of pictures such as the police in the first one, pictures without context, and whatnot serve to facilitate that.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by lolmnt

i'm serious
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Hold the phone, ladies and gents.

This is in response to the picture in the first post.

According to the 2010 US census Ferguson's demographics is comprised of

Quote by Wikipedia
As of the census of 2010[...] the racial makeup of the city was 29.3% White, 67.4% African American, 0.4% Native American, 0.5% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 2.0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.2% of the population.

By virtue of the fact that African Americans are the majority of the population in Ferguson, one can easily see how African Americans are arrested more then any other subset of the population.

I don't condone racial profiling and I think what happened is despicable but let's connect the dots before we light the torches and grab the pitch forks ok?
I do not know how to express my feelings toward this. But I have lots of feelings toward this.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by E7#9
Hold the phone, ladies and gents.

This is in response to the picture in the first post.

According to the 2010 US census Ferguson's demographics is comprised of

By virtue of the fact that African Americans are the majority of the population in Ferguson, one can easily see how African Americans are arrested more then any other subset of the population.

I don't condone racial profiling and I think what happened is despicable but let's connect the dots before we light the torches and grab the pitch forks ok?

True, and that might explain the disproportionate amount of arrests, though it still doesn't preclude racial profiling, but the higher likelihood of a white person having contraband is pretty noteworthy.

It matches other national trends (as in trends throughout different places in the nation) of equal rates of offense but staggeringly disproportionate rates of search and arrest.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by stepco12345

For a thorough description of what is going on, I suggest reading this Twitter account. https://twitter.com/WesleyLowery He's a reporter for the Washington Post that's been on the scene for hours now. Earlier tonight, he was arrested and released. A really important Twitter feed to read. There have also been many other reports of journalists being harassed.

wow, this guy has some great coverage. Some pretty shocking stuff happening.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Reports of residents getting teargassed and LRAD into their own homes. Exits being blocked off and protesters being trapped with incoming police forces.
Police are forcing reporters to turn off their cameras.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by Dreadnought
but the higher likelihood of a white person having contraband is pretty noteworthy.

*white person being pulled over

Also, the fact that there are almost 450 more black people than white in the sample set makes it pretty unsurprising to see a difference of 2 in 5 people. Now if it were something like only 1 in 10 black people having contraband as opposed to white then it might be more convincing, but I see no conclusions to be made solely from the contraband stats.
Quote by Skullivan
*white person being pulled over

Also, the fact that there are almost 450 more black people than white in the sample set makes it pretty unsurprising to see a difference of 2 in 5 people. Now if it were something like only 1 in 10 black people having contraband as opposed to white then it might be more convincing, but I see no conclusions to be made solely from the contraband stats.

i feel like that point of that stat was to demonstrate that the profiling is cannot be justified with a 'success' rate.
i don't know why i feel so dry
yea shit is pretty turbulent in st. louis. businesses around the st. louis area being looted, protesters getting shot, people breaking out in violence.

edit: the protesters that got shot pulled a gun out at police, but still its kind of crazy
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Last edited by jimihendrix6699 at Aug 13, 2014,
MSNBC is broadcasting footage. People retreating and still being fired on.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

"We cannot guarantee your safety. We will not be answering 911 calls" from that twitter, jesus
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Wanted to post a nice thing.

David Carson: "#Ferguson some great people gave me shelter in their house, gave me water, love these guys"
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

also lolmnt they tear gassed them because some people started to throw shit at the cops
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by jimihendrix6699
also lolmnt they tear gassed them because some people started to throw shit at the cops

One person threw something. It hit a truck. The crowd did not react to it.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

yea unfortunately thats all it takes
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by The_Blode
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by jimihendrix6699
yea unfortunately thats all it takes

I'm reading police officers talk about how much of an overreaction this is.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

its really ridiculous that people are angry they wont release the officers name

if they did then there would be man hunts for him
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by The_Blode
its about to go down
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

This is down. It's just a recording of what's happened.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by stepco12345
Make sure you get the right livestream, guys. One's just a recorded video.

Oh sorry, deleted although it shows attacks on the entirely peaceful crowd starting around 8:30
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
oh dammit thanks lol
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by The_Blode