Who do you like best or what type do you like/do most?

I've been doing quite a bit of classical stuff with the electric lately, but to the original compositions, slowly, trying to imitate the violin vibrato. It's pretty fun and challenging. Starting very slow and speeding up, even starting fast and then slowing down then speeding up again for a whole note. Im finding it works very well to go from say 1/4 to 1/8 or 1/16 back to 1/4 with the vibrato on a single note. Going from shallow to full steps etc.

Any of your fav examples of any type of vibrato I'd love to have a listen to!
Stevie Ray Vaughan had a great vibrato - Id' say he was the master of vibrato and bends ( he mastered Albert King and Hendrix's approaches)

Albert King - 60's recordings

BB King - 60's recordings

Hendrix

Satriani has great control and a good variety.

Malmsteen has a crazy vibrato, if you want some flash!

Mark Knofler has incredible phrasing - check out the song Brothers in Arms - amazing control of volume and vibrato.

Eric Gales
Marty Friedman has always been my favourite player in this regard, although i just recently noticed that Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth has a pretty solid vibrato as well.
I prefer controlled vibrato that's appropriate for the situation. Personally I wouldn't use the kind of vibrato I do on fast, aggressive metal tunes as I do on softer, ballad-y tracks and I don't think anyone else should either.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^ Agreed.

I use that zero-taste 80s vibrato a lot, but then again that's the stuff I mainly play

EDIT: I'm probably picking at hairs here, and I know what you mean (it's the way you put it I'm arguing with, rather than what you meant, which I agree with), but if it's too controlled it can actually sound robotic and unmusical. I know that's not what you meant (you meant "appropriate to the style of music vibrato", which I agree with 100%), but yeah, just to clarify.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 14, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Agreed.

I use that zero-taste 80s vibrato a lot, but then again that's the stuff I mainly play

EDIT: I'm probably picking at hairs here, and I know what you mean (it's the way you put it I'm arguing with, rather than what you meant, which I agree with), but if it's too controlled it can actually sound robotic and unmusical. I know that's not what you meant (you meant "appropriate to the style of music vibrato", which I agree with 100%), but yeah, just to clarify.

Oh yeah, haha, agreed; as with everything else I think the kind of vibrato you use should be a choice, rather than just "I DO A VIBRATOS NOW!"

I guess with that in mind you could say that I enjoy the vibrato of Paul Gilbert, Rick Graham, a guy you don't hear about so much any more called John Sanders (also known as Doug Steele and/or Shred Durst), Guthrie Govan, Steve Vai, and a number of other players who don't have a single vibrato, but you know 100% that what they do is as much a choice as the rest of their playing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Aug 14, 2014,
LOL. Yeah. I think I vary my vibrato depending on the piece as well. Citation needed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Good whammy vibrato sounds the best to me as you usually flatten the note which is kind of what a singer seems to do. Shawn Lane was good with whammy vibrato as is David Gilmour. Knopfler has nice vibrato and of course John Sykes as well.

I am really not a fan of the super wide interval guitar vibrato, on some things it is fine but if your vibrato is basically swinging between 4ths, I don't really like that....reminds me of big band game show trumpet vibrato. Sykes is pretty wide but it sounds good.
If I have to name only one....John Sykes all the way. No one has his sultry slow vibrato but he also has a nasty deep fast vibrato. Seems he has like 4-5 different ones he uses

first 30 seconds shows enough. Compare to how weak the other guy sounds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBCdastdtKI

1:46, 1:56, 2:06
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrT3XEATurs

4:26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BUPZ1W8z0M

from 2:50, absolute master, soulful vibrato
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zojCpvvKaoo

I strongly recommend the Whitesnake "Whitesnake" album and Blue Murders first 2 albums for a vibrato master class
Bill Frisell and Ted Greene.

Given its a very different style of vibrato than typical guitar vibrato, but its so subtle, warm, and musical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5016romA3U
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Scorpions Lead Guitarist in Still Loving You for suddle rock Vibratos (listen carefully he really does some fancy fade out vibratos in a couple parts), and BB King for Blues...

Still Loving You is also one of the best in tone for slow lead rock IMO, it just cuts through the entire song like a knife.

For most ridiculous vibratos, Guthrie Govan and Zak Wylde.
Last edited by coderguy at Aug 19, 2014,
Jason Becker
Marty Friedman
Buckethead
Mikael Akerfeldt
David Gilmour
George Lynch
Zakk Wylde
Shivering with a slide is really neat. It's easier steel than bottleneck because you can roll the bar as opposed to moving it back and forth, and so it is much less awkward to perform when doing long slides.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I just skim read the title and figured I was just going to be banning another adult-oriented spambot....
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I just skim read the title and figured I was just going to be banning another adult-oriented spambot....

I can't say that I haven't thought about doing that with a tone bar...
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
i use combination of rapid and repeating bending and release for "wide" vibrato(bending vibrato), it is multiple fast bending and release in the form of a vibrato effect, create good sound effects too.
Sykes', Friedman's, and Malmsteen's.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone