When my guitar is plugged into my amp and I'm not playing and I mute the strings, I hear background noise. When I turn the volume of the guitar off, it goes away. When I turn the volume of the amp up, the sound gets louder. What could be causing this? My guitar is an ESP LTD EC-1000 and my amp is a Roland Cube. I have tried 2 different cables and I am having the same issue. Is this normal?
Sounds like one of the following

- bad ground somewhere in the guitar, most likely the one that connects to the bridge

- you might have a high voltage/wattage power source nearby that is causing interference

- neighbor is using a Ham/CB/Walkie Talkie, used to have a redneck bumpkin who came through my amp every night at 8:00pm. When he was not talking, it sounded like someone was taking a shower inside my amplifier due to the RF interference.

- the cable's won't change it, you might want to try running the roland in another location and see if the problem still happens it might be stray RF signals from something. I've also had computers cast their RF static into my amps at times too.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
feedback? are you standing too close to the amp?

try doing the same but moving further away from the amp and get back to us. might as well rule out the easier stuff to fix than grounding issues/interrogating neighbours.

also do you have a dimmer switch in your room? don't ask me why, but i know they interfere with stuff like amps.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
the ec-1000 has active emgs right? if you don't have some sort of noise gate you pickups are going to hum or buzz no matter what you do. my c-1 hellraiser does the same thing if I turn my noise gate off.. it just comes with the territory of having the active emgs.
Active pickups are actually supposed to be quieter than passive. BUT anyways, every amp I've had has done this, how much gain do you use? You will never completely eliminate the noise, but a solid noise gate will do the trick for when you're not playing.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by RCA1186
Active pickups are actually supposed to be quieter than passive.

The whole concept of actives is that you're directly putting more electricity in the pickup, which means EVERYTHING is louder. Yes, there's less feedback (there needs to be less feedback, or the pickup would sound terrible), but that lesser amount of feedback is now louder (and therefore more noticeable). Anytime you put more electricity into a device like a pickup, it is going to be louder. Distortion intensifies this effect.

BUT anyways, every amp I've had has done this, how much gain do you use? You will never completely eliminate the noise, but a solid noise gate will do the trick for when you're not playing.

Yeah, a noise gate is a good solution. Otherwise, just ignore it.
Quote by RCA1186
Active pickups are actually supposed to be quieter than passive. BUT anyways, every amp I've had has done this, how much gain do you use? You will never completely eliminate the noise, but a solid noise gate will do the trick for when you're not playing.

This happens when I'm on the clean or distortion channel. When there is gain, it's more noticeable. I just hope it's not an issue with my guitar. Even though it's still under warranty, the shop takes around 2 weeks to get around to fixing it.. My EC-1000 does have active EMG pickups. I noticed as I turn the tone down on my guitar, the sound slowly goes away, but as soon as I turn the tone back up, I have the same issue.
I have an Ibanez bass with active pickups and I had the tone all the way up and was playing it through my Ampeg bass amp and noticed the exact same thing, especially when the volume is high. Is this normal? When the tone is all the way up and the volume on the amp is fairly high, you hear slight noise?
Quote by GuitarFlip1
I have an Ibanez bass with active pickups and I had the tone all the way up and was playing it through my Ampeg bass amp and noticed the exact same thing, especially when the volume is high. Is this normal? When the tone is all the way up and the volume on the amp is fairly high, you hear slight noise?

Slight noise, yes. That's just a thing that you have to deal with, because you're using an amp.

Edit:
From what I can tell (based on what you've said in this thread), I don't think it's something to worry about. The only solutions are: get a noise gate OR ignore it.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 14, 2014,
It could be that your bridge is not grounded. Take off one of your volume or tone knobs and touch that while touching the strings. If you loose your noise you need to check that you have aground run to your bridge. Just connect it to one of your pots to ground it your golden.
Quote by Zhaezzy
It could be that your bridge is not grounded. Take off one of your volume or tone knobs and touch that while touching the strings. If you loose your noise you need to check that you have aground run to your bridge. Just connect it to one of your pots to ground it your golden.

I'm really bad with guitar tech stuff so I don't wanna try anything. Basically when the tone is all the way up on the guitar, I can notice it. When I turn the tone lower, the sound goes away as I turn the tone lower. Same with the volume, if the volume is loud you can hear it. If the volume is low or average it's not very noticeable.
If you're talking about just a little bit of hum, that's completely normal. Use a noise gate or just ignore it.
I just want confirm that there is nothing wrong with my guitar. The louder the volume on the amp, and the higher the tone on the guitar, the more humming there is. If I keep the tone and volume, low, you can't hear it.
Quote by GuitarFlip1
I just want confirm that there is nothing wrong with my guitar. The louder the volume on the amp, and the higher the tone on the guitar, the more humming there is. If I keep the tone and volume, low, you can't hear it.

Yeah, the more you amplify something by turning up the volume (turning up the volume and tone is just throwing more "juice", more electricity into the respective parts of the wiring), the more you should hear slight hum. There is nothing wrong with your guitar.