Hi, I was wondering if u could help me make my decision beteween these two amps.
The Peavey Vypyr 30 and the Roland Cube 40gx . What are the differences between the sound of those two ? Which one is the most lasting one in terms of durability ? Also ,
which one of those is best suited for metal and has a less 'fake' feel to the sound ? Is it true that the Peavey Vypyr 30 replicates the sound of a tube amp ?And finally which are the pros and cons of each amp as both to sound and durability ?
Thank you
(PS:By fake I mean which one sounds less digital).
They're both good modelling amps. Both sound good, both have a good reputation in the reliability department. It's a matter of personal preference -- try both to see which one you like best, since you can't go wrong with either.

Personally, I'd get one of the new Vypyr VIP series amps because of the multi-instrument feature. You can play a guitar, bass or electroacoustic guitar through them.
Even if you don't own a bass or an electroacoustic guitar, it's a nice feature to have in the long term.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by mydoggylio6
Hi, I was wondering if u could help me make my decision beteween these two amps.
The Peavey Vypyr 30 and the Roland Cube 40gx . What are the differences between the sound of those two ? Which one is the most lasting one in terms of durability ? Also ,
which one of those is best suited for metal and has a less 'fake' feel to the sound ? Is it true that the Peavey Vypyr 30 replicates the sound of a tube amp ?And finally which are the pros and cons of each amp as both to sound and durability ?
Thank you
(PS:By fake I mean which one sounds less digital).

Get the Viper
I've had both
I feel like the Roland would be a more durable amp. Just by their nature. But it's not really an issue, I don't think. I've owned multiple Vypyrs for years past.

As far as realism, I'd say the Vypyr, hands down. It just sounds good. The Cube is extremely limited in what it can do, it feels more like a entry level/beginner amp, whereas the Vypyr actually gives you options and lets you dial it in.

Though as mentioned above, if you're looking for realism, I'd definitely get a new VIP-2 over either. The VIPs have improved and better dynamics, meaning they respond to your pick attack and so forth better and respond to your playing better. They're also more mid gain focused and have more weird FX than the original Vypyrs.

I usually put it this way: if you want a general modeler that has everything you need and then some, and replicates a non-modeling amp well for cheap, get a VIP. If you want an amp that will give you a processed, recorded sound right out of the speaker, and you want your sound to be ultra tight and polished, get the original Vypyr.

An example specific to the 6505 model: the Vypyr's 6505 model doesn't actually sound like a 6505, but it sounds like what you expect a 6505 to sound like after it's been boosted and recorded.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I feel like the Roland would be a more durable amp. Just by their nature. But it's not really an issue, I don't think. I've owned multiple Vypyrs for years past.

As far as realism, I'd say the Vypyr, hands down. It just sounds good. The Cube is extremely limited in what it can do, it feels more like a entry level/beginner amp, whereas the Vypyr actually gives you options and lets you dial it in.

Though as mentioned above, if you're looking for realism, I'd definitely get a new VIP-2 over either. The VIPs have improved and better dynamics, meaning they respond to your pick attack and so forth better and respond to your playing better. They're also more mid gain focused and have more weird FX than the original Vypyrs.

I usually put it this way: if you want a general modeler that has everything you need and then some, and replicates a non-modeling amp well for cheap, get a VIP. If you want an amp that will give you a processed, recorded sound right out of the speaker, and you want your sound to be ultra tight and polished, get the original Vypyr.

An example specific to the 6505 model: the Vypyr's 6505 model doesn't actually sound like a 6505, but it sounds like what you expect a 6505 to sound like after it's been boosted and recorded.
Yes....Thanks for the advice both u and the others that answered my questions . I have a question . When u say a processed recorded sound right out of the speaker and polished what do u mean by that ? Thank you
Listen to pretty much any modernish album with 6505s for guitar tones. All That Remains, Atreyu, The Black Dahlia Murder, Gojira, Trivium, etc. - A raw 6505 doesn't sound like that. Not even close, really. You need to boost it, EQ it, then you'll be close. But a lot of time you need studio post EQ to get that really clean polished sound.

A Vypyr sounds more like that final product just on its own.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Listen to pretty much any modernish album with 6505s for guitar tones. All That Remains, Atreyu, The Black Dahlia Murder, Gojira, Trivium, etc. - A raw 6505 doesn't sound like that. Not even close, really. You need to boost it, EQ it, then you'll be close. But a lot of time you need studio post EQ to get that really clean polished sound.

A Vypyr sounds more like that final product just on its own.
Ok thanks . One last question: Do u have the vypyr or the vypyr vip ? Because I DO want a tight and polished sound and I wanna know which one is better at that ... Thanks
Quote by Offworld92

^1 This

I would say the Dual Rec mode was the same. It didn't have the raw bite that a Rec has but it still sounds good. Like a smoothed out Dual Rectifier after being put through post-production
try to save your money for the tube 60.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by mydoggylio6
Ok thanks . One last question: Do u have the vypyr or the vypyr vip ? Because I DO want a tight and polished sound and I wanna know which one is better at that ... Thanks

I don't have any Vypyrs right now, but I have owned the 15, 75, Tube 120H, and the VIP-3.

For what you're going for, a Tube version would be best. The Tube 60 is far more popular than the 120 or 120H. They just sound better, they don't suffer from the solid state harsh high end.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I don't have any Vypyrs right now, but I have owned the 15, 75, Tube 120H, and the VIP-3.

For what you're going for, a Tube version would be best. The Tube 60 is far more popular than the 120 or 120H. They just sound better, they don't suffer from the solid state harsh high end.

Thanks for the recomandation but I really don't want a tube amp . They are way too costy in terms of maintenance for me ;/ . I just want a digital amp that has a close sound to a tube amp ( that's why the vypyr got my attention ) . I really want an amp that has a good metal tone for the heaviest styles .. I like the VIP but it feels like it was designed more for rock rather than all out heavy metal...It sounds a bit thin to me ... The vypyr though, it feels more that it was designed for heavy metal ... Or am I wrong ?(and by polished we mean clearer right ?)
Last edited by mydoggylio6 at Aug 17, 2014,
Quote by mydoggylio6
Thanks for the recomandation but I really don't want a tube amp . They are way too costy in terms of maintenance for me ;/ .

Do you realize that the regular maintenance costs of a Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube are about 50-75€ every couple of years to change the two 6L6 power tubes?
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
yeah got for it. tube 60 is the best. the other vypyrs sound like shit and are a waste of time imo.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by Linkerman
Do you realize that the regular maintenance costs of a Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube are about 50-75€ every couple of years to change the two 6L6 power tubes?

Yes....Ok then but how long will it last ? I tend to play a lot my guitar ...Plus, what kind of tubes will I need ( I haven't used any tube amps so far)
Last edited by mydoggylio6 at Aug 18, 2014,
Quote by Linkerman

Its right there...
2x 6L6 power tubes

if you play a lot then you might need to change once a year. it all depends on how they deteriorate to your ears

but changing 2 power tubes is pretty easy. I have never had a modeller but im guessing its the same as a regular tube amp.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Quote by mydoggylio6
Thanks for the recomandation but I really don't want a tube amp . They are way too costy in terms of maintenance for me ;/ . I just want a digital amp that has a close sound to a tube amp ( that's why the vypyr got my attention ) . I really want an amp that has a good metal tone for the heaviest styles .. I like the VIP but it feels like it was designed more for rock rather than all out heavy metal...It sounds a bit thin to me ... The vypyr though, it feels more that it was designed for heavy metal ... Or am I wrong ?(and by polished we mean clearer right ?)

You could say that the VIP has more of a rock focus than the Vypyr. That doesn't mean that the VIP can't get just as heavy by any means. Either are more than capable of doing an excellent job at djent to deathcore or any modern metal you want (the heaviest styles?). The Vypyr/VIP isn't a simple amp like a Cube or a Spider. It has depth, it can be dialed in finely. That's one of the main reasons I'm so fond of them, they don't feel like a toy at all like the other entry level modelers do. They don't treat their users like children by not giving them room to mess up. And that makes them better on multiple levels, I think. It lets beginners and users get a far better grasp and understanding of amps and effects in the guitar world.

As I said before, the VIP feels more like a tube amp. The Vypyr is more polished. Those things aren't synonymous, tube amps are pretty well known, I think, for being raw and powerful, not polished and surgical.

There are high end exceptions, obviously (Fryette, Diezel, etc.), but generally speaking... what I said.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 18, 2014,
Quote by mydoggylio6
Yes....Ok then but how long will it last ? I tend to play a lot my guitar ...

As loki_lulamen said, if you really play A LOT, you may need to change the tubes once per year, but they'll probably last longer.

Quote by mydoggylio6
Plus, what kind of tubes will I need ( I haven't used any tube amps so far)

As I mentioned in my previous post, you'll need two 6L6 power tubes.

But the amp comes with them, obviously. You'll only need to buy new tubes when the ones that come with the amp get worn out and you start to notice degradation on the sound.

Quote by loki_lulamen
but changing 2 power tubes is pretty easy. I have never had a modeller but im guessing its the same as a regular tube amp.

Oh yeah, the Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube doesn't need biasing, you simply pull the old tubes and put in the new ones.

The maintenance costs will be less than what I said, since you don't have to pay a tech to change the tubes and re-bias the amp.
The cost of a pair of new JJ power tubes is less than 40€.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Offworld92

As I said before, the VIP feels more like a tube amp. The Vypyr is more polished. Those things aren't synonymous, tube amps are pretty well known, I think, for being raw and powerful, not polished and surgical.

The vypyr also has patented transtube technology though ..
It doesn't mean anything. It's glib marketing.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
It doesn't mean anything. It's glib marketing.

So the transtube tec on the VIP is also glib marketing?
Yeah it doesn't really mean anything. It's not important. The way it sounds, the way it reacts is what's important, and actually playing them will tell you all you need to know.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Two of these:
https://tubedepot.com/products/jj-6l6gc-power-vacuum-tube
And one of these:
https://tubedepot.com/products/jj-ecc83s-12ax7-preamp-vacuum-tube

Every few years. On the Vyper Tube you just pull out the old ones and push in the new ones. That's it. No harder than changing a light.
They have an analog solid state modeling preamp with digital effects and the power amp out of a 6505. They're a good thing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Two of these:
https://tubedepot.com/products/jj-6l6gc-power-vacuum-tube
And one of these:
https://tubedepot.com/products/jj-ecc83s-12ax7-preamp-vacuum-tube

Every few years. On the Vyper Tube you just pull out the old ones and push in the new ones. That's it. No harder than changing a light.
They have an analog solid state modeling preamp with digital effects and the power amp out of a 6505. They're a good thing.

Yes...I'm thinking of buying the tube 60 now but ... I can't find any good videos that demonstrates the actual sound of the amp . I've watched a few and none of them sound good to me . Too bright . If you can , please send me a few videos of the actual sound of the amp it would be nice .. Thanks
^ Hey

I've got a few clips in my profile doing metal and other stuff. I think they sound pretty close to what the amp sounds like live. They may not be your type of demo's not sure. Profile MP3 are going away Sunday so giddy up

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/play983752

PS: The feedback at the beginning of this song was on purpose

PPS: Shredkev on youtube has pretty good demos IMO.
it sounds great. check youtube. cant do much better for brutality unless you spend twice the price.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Aug 28, 2014,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Your power tubes could last 5 - 10 years

I bought my Vypyr 60 3 years ago I think and I haven't' had to change anything.

Ballin' amp.

Offworld pretty much nailed the description.

Really ? And how much do you play ?