I've been working on improving my scales over the past few weeks, using a metronome and suchlike, but having real difficulty going back down the scales using pull-offs.

Supposing I was playing an A Minor Pentatonic scale:

--5--8--
--5--8--
--5-7--
--5-7--
--5-7--
--5--8--

For the section using the index finger and ring finger on the A, D and G strings:

----------------
----------------
--7\5-----------
------7\5-------
----------7\5---
----------------

Would I barre the 5th fret with my index finger and then use my ring finger for the 7th fret? Or would I adopt more of a 'walking down' technique moving my ring finger and index finger down each string as I moved? And which way would end up being the fastest (or 'best') way, giving I am practicing very s-l-o-w-l-y to get my accuracy up before focusing on speed?

Many thanks.
Move your index finger across the strings. Half of the trick to playing well and sounding good is making sure that only the notes you want to play are actually sounding so barring there would leave a lot of room for notes to ring and give your muting technique way too much work to do.

Also... a lazy index finger is the bane of my existence, don't fall in to the same trap.

Of course if you want the notes to ring together then barring is fine. Generally, though, that's not going to be what you want.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.