Hi everyone, I usually use D'Addario strings, after switching from ernie ball, as I find these give the best sound on my guitar, with the least buzz.

Yesterday, I decided to try some coated strings for the first time, so got some elixirs. They are the same gauge as my old D'Addarios, but they buzz like anything! I've checked neck relief, that is within the limits I like, but to get rid of buzz I have to really jack up the action.

Has anyone else had trouble like this with Elixirs, or just me?
This is on a LTD-MH1000.
To be fair, I think they actually have an OK feel, it's just the excessive buzzing bothering me. I think I will go back to D'Addarios after these wear out, I only tried them after hearing they last 3-5 times the length of normal strings.
DSpellman, what do you think is the buzzing then? Relief is set fine, I had not changed action, I have made it higher now to ease the buzz though.
I suspect an overly tight truss rod loosen that sucker off a little. I had to do it with my own guitars recently as the bout of nice weather we had here in Ireland was causing havoc with my instruments.
I have a dual way truss rod, if it was overly tight would there not be too much relief? It is getting late now, I will give it a little loosen tomorrow and see if it helps.

EDIT: also, I find it odd it is only since changing the strings yesterday.
Those strings have nothing to do with the buzz; they're only teflon coated I believe; well the outer coil anyway
Newer strings, different make can be different tension even if the same gauge.

Strings stretch as they get older, making less tension on the neck than when new, you can sometimes notice on a FR, it will be looser as they get stretched, needing a slight tensioning after a week or so if you don't want to change strings quite yet.
I use elixirs on all my guitars , have never notice any buzzing or anything else for that matter. Best strings around IMO
Really odd :S. The only thing I can think of is has been said, different brand of strings, different tension. But even taking that into account, relief was fine. Oh well, I'l give it a full set up later on, let you know what I think of elixirs .
I'm having the exact same problem... I do think Elixr's are looser than other strings.
Quote by conanwarrior
Hi everyone, I usually use D'Addario strings, after switching from ernie ball, as I find these give the best sound on my guitar, with the least buzz.

Yesterday, I decided to try some coated strings for the first time, so got some elixirs. They are the same gauge as my old D'Addarios, but they buzz like anything! I've checked neck relief, that is within the limits I like, but to get rid of buzz I have to really jack up the action.

Has anyone else had trouble like this with Elixirs, or just me?
This is on a LTD-MH1000.

I dislike the tone of Elixirs but never had problems with buzzing - did you get the same gauge?
Yeah they were the same gauge. It's ok now. I quite like them, now lets see how long they last.