I'm looking for an I amp that can play smaller gigs with a band, and doesn't break the piggy bank. I would be using this to play in a praise band. I don't want anything too fancy, just want the basic functions. I'm guessing that I should get some sort of tube amp. How many watts? How much should I expect to pay for something that is not total crap... Like my Mustang 1.
I don't think you should go under 15 watt although it is possible that a Marshall Class 5 which is a very loud 5 watter might do. I imagine you guys probably have a PA (most worship places do so they can amplify the service) so you could also mic it if it is a bit underwhelming. Not sure what you'd need in an amp. Some of these are single channel with no fx loop, I'd imagine for this type of gig you can run all the fx in front of the amp, so that is why I am suggesting some like the Tiny Terror, Class 5...

Look at: Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Windsor. Crate Palomino 30 watt (these are all knockoffs of the Vox AC30/Vox AC15 which you should also check out). Carvin have a tweed series which is also awesome.

Laney VC15 or LC15 (15 watters), Orange Tiny Terror (15 watt combo) or Dual Terror, Fender Blues Jr or any of the other tube Fenders. Marshall DSL40C or the big DSL head if you look at used.
Egnater Tweaker 40 watt is also awesome for getting any sound and can change volume levels.
If you can push up in budget Mesa 5:25 or 5:50, or any of the other Mesa combos like the Roadking are also fantastic.

And last but not least - the Randall Satan
what type(s) of music, and do you need totally clean cleans?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok, thanks

i don't gig but i'd have thought you'd want 30 watts for that, minimum. much less and you don't normally have too much headroom (even though they still get really loud).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You can get a used L6 Flextone II/III for <$150 at www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear
It will cope with most anything you want to do and is a 1x12 combo, so it can carry its own weight without being mic'd if you really need it to
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
nah dont get caught up on watts. dont go to low though. i would go over 25 for sure. need an FX loop? that may be a good factor.

budget? egnater would be good. a tweaker 40 is great, rebel 30. both would do. carvin v3m is versatile on all fronts.

tubemeister is very clean / bluesey. its got that solid state boost, but i dont consider than a legitimate channel if you ask me. without the boost, its a blues amp.

these are all in the 600ish range. too much? do you need a combo or a head / cab?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Praise band? What style of music? Traditional gospel, Jazz and Soul, contemporary Christian, heavy Christian Metal? In our church all styles are represented but stage volume must be kept painfully low. All amps are mic'd off stage with a feed to the IEMs. With this setup a very small amp is plenty or even no amp at all. Just a Pod or Tonelab DME run direct to the board.

Over the last 10 years I have used a Tonelab direct, Mesa F-30, Tiny Terror, Fender Princeton Reverb II, Fender HR Deluxe, all to good effect. Never needed more power.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Egnater Tweaker
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Fender Blues Junior
Vox AC30
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
very hard to bead a blues deluxe if you only need some bluesey / mild rock tones. plus pedals
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)