Hi all, I asked a while back for some amp recommendations, and in my price range a jet city amp with harley benton cab was recommended.

My question is, how loud is the amp? I live with parents, one is partially deaf, so as long as it is not stupidly loud, it will be OK. I currently have a line 6 spider 75, and that never goes past a 1/4 as my room is small.

I could move it upstairs to a bigger room, and I live in a detached house so neighbours are not the problem. I just want something that sounds nice distorted without hurting my ears (seriously, I would like to keep my hearing).

Also, how would the JCA22 keep up with a band? I know this is one extreme to another this question, but any answers would be helpful.
LOUD. if you want to crank it up, that is.

I've heard someone who has/had both say that the 50 is actually easier to keep to a sensible level than the 22 (i've only tried the 50). and it would have more headroom for a band situation, too. so might be worth considering instead since it's only a little more money.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm not too bothered currently about band situations, will be a while till I am at that level.
What I really want is a nice sounding bedroom amp, what low watt amps in the lowish price range are there I can crank at an acceptable volume level, or is it best to stick to the spider?
Or as a third choice, is there a better modeller I could get that sounds nice?
You don't need to crank amps for them to sound distorted (that is, if they have a master volume control) and a smaller amp won't necessarily sound better than a bigger amp if the only thing that changes between the two is the output power.

Some prefer the sound of power tube distortion, in which case you should be getting a 3w amp with relatively low sensitivity speakers to play relatively quiet and getting power tube distortion, though pre distortion is generally more appreciated, and some prefer the "body" the sound gets when the amp gets turned up, and if you like that you'll have to raise the volume fo whatever amp 'cause that's an issue related to sound pressure and the fletcher monson curves and similar boring stuff.

In short, the convenience of bigger amps overshadows their flaws, to most people.

The jet city is loud if you turn it up - very loud, though you might as well use the master volume control since they put it there.
Also it will sound better than the spider at whatever volume.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
you can't really crank anything at bedroom level unless it's (well) under a watt.

However, certain types of tones don't necessarily really need to be cranked. High gain is one of them- that's not to say it doesn't sound better turned way up, but it doesn't need to be. So it's entirely possible, as long as you're ok with turning the thing down, that the jet city 50 watter might be quiet enough. It just really depends on your definition of "home volumes". I don't share walls with neighbours either and I play the 50 watt jet city in a home situation, though i imagine my "home volume" is higher than what most people would consider a sensible home volume level

I'm not too well up on modellers but I would imagine there are better options than the spider. It's really a judgement call as to whether you think tube sounds and feels better than modellers at the volume level you have to play at normally.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've owned one for 4 months now and have always been able to play at a comfortable level and still get a kickass tone. Obviously you won't be able to push the volume far up. Also same situation as you, living with parents and playing in bedroom. Plus, I do share walls with neighbors Guess they better like hearing me play.
depending on the room I can play with drums with my 5 watt H&K, so I can't imagine cranking a 20 watt JCA22
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Quote by boblittle
depending on the room I can play with drums with my 5 watt H&K, so I can't imagine cranking a 20 watt JCA22

I've cranked my 50w Marshall clone.

The whole house shook, people heard me from damn near a mile away, and I thought my ceiling was going to collapse.

10/10, would recommend.

Generally, a 22w wouldn't be TOO much quieter than a 50w.
~3db iirc
Quote by darkwolf291

The whole house shook, people heard me from damn near a mile away, and I thought my ceiling was going to collapse.

10/10, would recommend.

~3db iirc

ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Have owned and still do own a 22H for a few months. love it. Even through an ISOcab the loudest I crank it is to 3.5 or 4 if that. Its plenty loud and when the cab is opened.... Lord help you if you're near it.
Ok, so it will sound nice with pre-amp distortion? Sorry, I am new to Valve amps. Also, I gather I will probably need to buy a few pedals? A few effects, and an overdrive?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, what would you go for, the JCA22H or the 50 watt version?
I would go with the 50w, just for the extra headroom and to help future proof it a little.

Pre amp gain is your more common 'overdrive' sound these days. and yes they will both sound pretty good.

as for pedals...
tuner, overdrive, eq, and a gate (if you are going for higher gain stuff) are your most common pedals.

apart from that its all about what you like.

delay and reverb would be good places to start
then look into modulations and wahs etc
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
I have V30s in my 2x12 and I can get a nice sound at relatively low volumes with my JCA50. It's not whisper quiet but it's what I would deem quiet enough.
It's loud trust me. JCA22h was my backup one night in Germany. I tried it at the rehearsal that day and It sounded awesome. I didn't play it at the lower volumes, so I can't tell you how was it at lower volumes but most of the guys here say it's pretty good when it's quiet
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX 50 with Dimarzios
Modified MIM Fender strat with schaller floyd rose
LTD EC-1000 with EMG's
2x LTD EC 401

Amps:
Marshall JVM205h
Fender Mustang II

Other bits and pieces:
D'addario strings
TC electronic g-major 2
Quote by darkwolf291

10/10, would recommend.

~3db iirc

LOL

i remember when i cranked my engl once (ages back) i knocked a little container with shells off the wall in the next room

Quote by conanwarrior
Ok, so it will sound nice with pre-amp distortion? Sorry, I am new to Valve amps. Also, I gather I will probably need to buy a few pedals? A few effects, and an overdrive?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, what would you go for, the JCA22H or the 50 watt version?

it will, as long as you like the sound of preamp distortion. if you like more modern, higher gain guitar tones, you probably do.

yeah a pedal or two wouldn't hurt, but you can gather them up over time. bear in mind the loop in the jet city is slightly weird and not all pedals work in it. here's a link with pedals which are known to work in it (effects like od, wah etc. go in the front of the amp): http://www.guitarampboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1615 (post #2)

supposedly (i haven't tried it) the 22 has the loop in a slightly more useful place and maybe even sounds slightly better because of that. However, the 50 (again, allegedly) is easier to control at lower volumes despite its higher wattage, and it'll have more headroom (plus a lot of players prefer the tone of a bigger amp for high gain).

it's pretty much up to you, in other words.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'l have to flip a coin then, really not sure . The amp won't take all pedals? Isn't that kind of odd?
it'll take all pedals into the front of the amp. just some pedals won't work in the loop.

it's not really odd when that's more or less the soldano loop design, the expensive soldanos are (i think) the same. when the loop was designed it was fairly common practice for rack fx etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it'll take all pedals into the front of the amp. just some pedals won't work in the loop.

it's not really odd when that's more or less the soldano loop design, the expensive soldanos are (i think) the same. when the loop was designed it was fairly common practice for rack fx etc.

Actually the loop in the 22h is pedal friendly. I own one. Some of the other JCA models do have that issue though.

To answer the OP, I've found the 22h can keep up with a band but doesn't need to be cranked to sound good. It sounds BETTER when turned up a little though. More open, bigger, just....more. It doesn't sound thin or weak when the volume is low though. I play mine through a 2x12 with Eminence speakers, and it'll definitely rattle the house when cranked. Disclaimer: clean is not its thing. The crunch channel does clean up but there's not much headroom.

Overall the 22H is awesome though. It's my favorite amp so far. Try to find one used, I got mine for $275 USD.
Last edited by TheJawsOfDeath at Aug 16, 2014,
^ I would say similar things about the JCA50. It can clean up to something decent, but it's hard. I have to play my Telecaster through the Crunch channel with the pre at about 1 or 1.5 and the master turned way up to get a nice clean tone and be heard during jams. However, I only use it for small clean breaks or whatever so it's fine.

Just to elaborate on the JCA50 further. This amp is the perfectly volume for jams. From all the 50watts I've owned it's what you would expect from a 50watt head. It's way more volume than needed. The thing that the 50 does have over the 22 is that it's not going to have as much poweramp distortion at the same volume as it's little brother. Some players like this type of sound, but I find it's a bit too saggys and loose for me. The 50 is the perfect middle ground between the 22 and the 100 and it's only a little more expensive.

I have it turned just past half way with a 2x12 and it's hella loud. We use ear plugs in our jam space because we'd all be hurting afterwards without them.
Quote by TheJawsOfDeath
Actually the loop in the 22h is pedal friendly. I own one. Some of the other JCA models do have that issue though.

Is it? I thought they moved the position of the loop so it's actually after most of the preamp distortion now, but it's still line level.

But I could well be wrong. I've never even got as far as using the loop on my jca50
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Is it? I thought they moved the position of the loop so it's actually after most of the preamp distortion now, but it's still line level.

But I could well be wrong. I've never even got as far as using the loop on my jca50

AFAIK the difference is whether the effects loop is instrument level or line level. The loop in the 22H is instrument level so it works with pedals. I think the 100H and SLO 100 have line level fx loops meant only for rack gear, and that regular pedals will sound thin or weak. I'm not certain on that but I know that my 22H loop works fine with all the pedals I've tried.
I heard that the loop had been moved.

It may well be instrument level too, I'm not sure. I was under the impression it wasn't (but I haven't exactly looked into it). FWIW, some pedals working in the loop don't necessarily prove it either way, as some pedals are known to work even in the JCA50's and 100's loops (which are line level, as you said), as in that link I posted earlier in the thread. Of course, if you've tried a pedal which is known *not* to work in a line level loop, that might be different.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

The 22H uses a serial loop.
It's shoved between the preamp and power amp
Quote by darkwolf291
The 22H uses a serial loop.
The issue they were discussing was about the level and impedance of the fx send and return (line or inst level), not its position relative to the rest of the circuit.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I was talking about both.

I think the loop in the 50 is before some of the preamp. I just looked up the schematic and there's another triode in the preamp after the loop, and the eq also comes after the loop. ideally your loop would come after all of the preamp.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've owned the jca22h, it's a nice amp. But be prepared to change the stock chinese tubes, they hold the amp back. When I switched to tung-sols in just v1-3 the amp became far more articulate, less fuzzy and clean headroom increased dramatically. You can run it with the chinese tubes, but when you replace them, it becomes that much better.