Hi, first of all I'm sure there are many other threads similar to this but nothing I have read up to now has helped me make up my mind completely. When I do finally think I have found the one, something else appears or I read bad things about the one I had in mind.

So... I'm looking for an acoustic, preferably electric for around £200. Thats $333 dollars but things seem to be a little cheaper in other parts of the world. So if you are going to give me some suggestions but are not from the UK, please keep that in mind.

For example the Epiphone Hummingbird Pro is around $300 (£180) but here in the UK it seems to be £229 ($380) everywhere.

I hope to get some good suggestions here from people with some good knowledge on guitars.

Thanks in advance.
This is a bit OT, but I'm curious to know why you want an electric if you have a limited budget. My mate owns a music store, and he says that acoustic guitars sell better if they have a pickup and preamp, and I've never understood why.

In the UK, have a look at the Tanglewood range. Most of the ones I've played have been very good, and a few have been truly fantastic. However, my mate has had problems with the bridge coming off some of the cedar-topped ones.
Quote by Tony Done
This is a bit OT, but I'm curious to know why you want an electric if you have a limited budget. My mate owns a music store, and he says that acoustic guitars sell better if they have a pickup and preamp, and I've never understood why.
....[ ]....
Because average guitars plugged in sound better than they are. You can also throw a couple of ambiance effects in the signal path and make them sound even better. (Chorus, Reverb, Delay) Any of the better acoustic amps will double as a makeshift PA.

Plus, it's likely easier to sell an AE guitar, than a plain acoustic.

IMHO, you'll get a better result throwing an extra hundred bucks into a guitar to buy it with electronics, than you would buying a hundred dollar better guitar.

There's very little acoustic work around that's recorded dry nowadays, and I doubt that many players wants to park them self fixed in front of a mic if they're just playing for fun.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 15, 2014,
Quote by Captaincranky
Because average guitars plugged in sound better than they are. You can also throw a couple of ambiance effects in the signal path and make them sound even better. (Chorus, Reverb, Delay) Any of the better acoustic amps will double as a makeshift PA.

Plus, it's likely easier to sell an AE guitar, than a plain acoustic.

IMHO, you'll get a better result throwing an extra hundred bucks into a guitar to buy it with electronics, than you would buying a hundred dollar better guitar.

There's very little acoustic work around that's recorded dry nowadays, and I doubt that many players wants to park them self fixed in front of a mic if they're just playing for fun.

I dunno, I've always taken the view that a new chum buying an inexpensive acoustic guitar very likely doesn't need a pickup, and they would be better off just choosing the acoustic they liked. At a more advanced level, you might be better off buying a pickup system of your choosing. I've had a lot of acoustics, and only two of those had pickup/preamps when I bought them, and then it was only happenstance. - In one of those it was a minus, but I liked the the guitar enough to put up with it, and in the other it was neutral because I used the system it came with for gigging, good, but it wouldn't have been my first choice. In the low to mid price ranges, it wouldn't stop me buying a guitar if I liked the acoustic qualities, but I would rather choose my own system.
Quote by Tony Done
I dunno, I've always taken the view that a new chum buying an inexpensive acoustic guitar very likely doesn't need a pickup, and they would be better off just choosing the acoustic they liked.
Well OK. I've always been of the opinion, that a noob with an AE guitar, is a danger to them self, others, and the community at large.

If you don't believe me about that, please check the "review" of the Dean "Flying V Acoustic" here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578027&page=1&pp=20 @ post 19.

That notwithstanding, I still won't recommend a mid line guitar without electronics.

I've also heard the pros, cons, epinions, of more and less experienced players.

Someone will come blasting through here, moaning about "piezo quack". Truth is, if you take the time to roll off the treble, you won't notice it.

So, I use a stomp box strobe tuner 1/4" input only. I need electronics, if only to tune my 12 strings.

Moving beyond that, mood influences sonic evaluation, as well as the room where the sound occurs. A guitar I can't stand one day, I love the next. A ratty Ibanez plywood "Exotic Wood" guitar I have, sounds great plugged in. It's got the most beautiful sounding on board chorus. No fiddling with knobs, just push the button.

I love the richness of the 12 string, I hate the clatter. Plug in, tweak the bass up a bit, clip the highs, and they become amazing. (Although Roger McGuinn would probably dislike my settings).

So IMHO, at the price point being discussed in this thread, I think AE is the way to go.

While I appreciate your sentiments, nobody does the electronic install like the factory. Plus, at the price range we're talking, an acoustic only may well lead to an inquiry about a Dean Markley sound hole humbucker six months down the road. Factory installed piezos are way superior to that option. (Again IMHO).
Hello Dan & Welcome

Firstly, here in the UK (and, for that matter, in most of Europe) we pay considerably more for our guitars than do our American cousins - largely due to tax. So there it is and there is nothing you can do about it - you just have to shop around and get the best deal you can.

Your budget of around £200 is not a lot of money for an electro-acoustic (and I agree with Captaincranky here, I think it's worth paying a little more for an electro-acoustic rather than settling for one with out electronics) but although there are a few choices, none of them really jump out at me. If you can up your budget by £50 or, even better by £100, you are getting into the realm of significantly nicer instruments.

For some guidance have a look at these:

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/Electro-Acoustic-Guitars
Anything of decent quality at that price point is probably going to be used. Start hitting Craigslist or add some weight to your coin purse. A decent AE guitar new starts at around $600 IMO. In the UK, Epiphone, Takamine, Yamaha might be up your alley. I really like my current Seagull but they are rare in the UK.

Things may have changed recently but the last time I played a $300 AE guitar it was just really awful.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 15, 2014,
OK guys. We still haven't heard from the OP again yet, and maybe this should be the subject of a separate thread but:

Why would a beginner want an AE? He isn't about to go gigging, and the operative word should be acoustic. What good is amplified sound supposed to do him? Recording his progress, maybe, I can see that, but even then it isn't as if you are about to go viral on Youtube. <sigh> Maybe I'm just being a purist, it is an acoustic instrument, the pickup is just an add-on for recording or performance.
A/E models (even budget ones) will sell eaiser when the owner wants to move up. It's a fact. A beginner, if persistent, will want to be able to play at an open mic, or with friends at some point. When he gets to that point he shoudlnt' have to wait until he can afford to upgrade.

The Yamaha FGX700 is widely recommended as a budget A/E. They sell for $300 new in the US< not sure what they woudl be in the UK.
Although people disparage them, the Fender CD140, Kingman and Sonoran in that same price range can sound decent (to some ears).
To the OP - your best deal woudl be to find a used guitar at a shop near you.
My reverbnation page

2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73 Epi 6830E
72 Fender Telecaster
Epi Dot Studio
Epi LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e uke
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Quote by MikeBmusic
A/E models (even budget ones) will sell eaiser when the owner wants to move up. It's a fact. A beginner, if persistent, will want to be able to play at an open mic, or with friends at some point. When he gets to that point he shoudlnt' have to wait until he can afford to upgrade.
Like I said earlier, chorus, reverb, delay, not counting a stompbox tuner. Ambiance effects are plenty of reason to plug in.

Quote by MikeBmusic
The Yamaha FGX700 is widely recommended as a budget A/E. They sell for $300 new in the US< not sure what they woudl be in the UK.
Although people disparage them, the Fender CD140, Kingman and Sonoran in that same price range can sound decent (to some ears).
To the OP - your best deal woudl be to find a used guitar at a shop near you.
I have a Fender "Sonoran", and it plays and sounds very good. Unfortunately, there's a big price bump for that California Kitsch factor. The Sonoran is selling for about $400.00 in the US. The CD-140 is a bit less, and probably the better budget choice.

Given the Sonoran's $400.00 price tag, I have to say the Epiphone EJ-200-CE sells for the exact same money, and most likely is the one I'd choose to part with four bills over. (I have both, but that's really beside the point for this discussion).

Par for the course in this forum, guitars get recommended more or less sequentially, Yamaha FG-700, Yamaha FGX-700, Seagull S-6, and then, "if you've got that much money, figure it out for yourself".

In any case, since we're talking in terms of the UK, "Crafter" guitars are well worth looking into as well.
Quote by Captaincranky
. . . . In any case, since we're talking in terms of the UK, "Crafter" guitars are well worth looking into as well.

Crafter guitars are indeed well worth looking at - excellent quality instruments (I own one!) - but the OP isn't going to get an A/E one within his budget of £200 unless it's used (well, perhaps the "Ashland" range?).
Yamaha APX500 IS ABOUT $300 USD. That is about as inexpensive as I would go on a NEW guitar and still retain playability and sound.