This is an open diary of current progress. I'm happy to say that for once i'm not particularly vexed at the moment.

1. I learned a lesson about the importance of intonation.
I thought that my guitar was intonated properly already, but i was mistaken. I made a video for my friends and my best friend - significantly more experienced than i am and not afraid to tell me i suck - told me that he couldn't stand to listen to my out of tune playing.
I got indignant cause i thought i'd done relatively okay that time, but he was right. I eventually hit upon a few solutions.
The biggest problem was a G string that was way out of intonation. It was sharp when fretted at 12th fret.
Next biggest problem was slight bend of the strings when i fretted. Applying diagonal pressure instead of pressing down.
Last - i was not aware that a string could be pulled sharp just by applying too much pressure behind the fret.

2. Finally staring to feel better about that sweet child of mine intro. I asked for and received much good advice from you guys and it's starting to pay off. Correcting the intonation also helped with this. For some reason it seems easier to play a song when the note that you hear matches the note that you expect to hear.

3. Learned an important lesson about pickups.
I'm crazy about that fat 50's fender custom shop single coil pickup in the middle position. I was exploring all kinds of trade ideas until the day that i took my PRS to the Guitar Center and compared it directly against a few of the strats that were sorta in my price range.
I think i've learned that a premium active pickup beats a budget passive pickup pretty handily. The MiM strat had very little to offer i felt. The cheapest MiA was admittedly better quality and I could tell that there were advantages - i think articulation is the word - but the active EMGs still won out in my mind. I like that I can pull the knob to reduce volume and clean up the tone. (It's the 81/89 pair with coil tap)
Perhaps if i had compared the EMGs to the fat 50s then they might have met their match.
I wonder if this might not be a bit of a noob issue too? Perhaps the reason the EMGs appeal to me is because they seem to cover up poor technique?

4. I am still having a hard time with funk, chicken-scratchin' and all that but not nearly as bad as it was. I made another attempt on my Mount Everest (Get Lucky) and I was pleased to discover that it didn't feel nearly as awkward as it used to.

Well that's it. Information has been dumped. Thanks for sharing. Go practice. (Yes sir.)
Keeping a diary is a good idea but this isn't really the place to bring it unless you're gonna ask questions about your playing
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
You're wrong on pickups - passive single coils are not in any way inferior to active pickups - it's actually the opposite. Most of the best tones in history are from regular passive single coils. Active pickups are only really useful for the heavy genres. You're probably confusing "loud" with "better" which is a very common and perfectly acceptable noob mistake. A coil split is almost always inferior to a real passive single coil, which is why single coils still exist in spite of the issues they can create with hum.

I would add this to your discovery of intonation - it's not enough to simply have a guitar that is properly setup to have good intonation, you also need to pay close attention to the pressure you apply to each note and chord to ensure that you are playing in tune and not detuning the strings with too much pressure - playing"in tune" is absolutely crucial, especially on electric guitar, where the lighter string gauges can easily detune with too much force.
Quote by reverb66
You're wrong on pickups - passive single coils are not in any way inferior to active pickups - it's actually the opposite. Most of the best tones in history are from regular passive single coils. Active pickups are only really useful for the heavy genres. You're probably confusing "loud" with "better" which is a very common and perfectly acceptable noob mistake. A coil split is almost always inferior to a real passive single coil, which is why single coils still exist in spite of the issues they can create with hum.

I would add this to your discovery of intonation - it's not enough to simply have a guitar that is properly setup to have good intonation, you also need to pay close attention to the pressure you apply to each note and chord to ensure that you are playing in tune and not detuning the strings with too much pressure - playing"in tune" is absolutely crucial, especially on electric guitar, where the lighter string gauges can easily detune with too much force.

I'm sorry - I can see that I mis-spoke.

I have a tendency to talk in circles and I sometimes don't include all of the pertinent information.

What I meant to say was more like this:
I am in love with one particular set of single coil pickups. (Fat 50s)
I mistook that for a love of all single coil pickups.
I discovered that some single coil pickups are better than others.
I realized that I'd rather have those active EMGs than the pickups that come standard on a MiM Strat.

I'm sorry for being unclear. Thank you for reading and thank you for the advice!
*reported*

If you want to keep a blog, UG has facilities for that. Please keep posts like this to there.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.