Hey UGers

I've recently got together with a friend of mine, and we started playing at a few bars. Our intention is not to be huge, but we are getting payed something, and want to use that money to upgrade our gear and quality.

Guitar wise, im pretty much set, and know what to get, but the problem is what do we get for vocals ?!

Im incredibly noob on the vocal side, my friend said she'd probably get an SM58, which after reading some reviews seems like a good choice, specially for the price but...what else do we need ?! PA and mixer ?! are there vocal amps ?! what gear do we recomend ?! We play usually on small bars/restaurants, nothing too big, interior and exterior.
Gear :Squier + Vypyr 15W / UCG102 + Picks = Awesomeness !
If all you need is two vocal mics, one of these will get it done:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ELVZLX112P
As you grow you could add another one and a small mixer if needed. I have been using one of these for a vocal floor monitor recently and I am really pleased.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The SM58 is a great overall microphone used by beginners and pros alike. I use a Shure Beta58 and love it as well, but it's more expensive. Through my experience, I have discovered that generally the cost is quite relative to the quality (although this isn't always the case) with microphones. Don't go too cheap, an SM58 will run about $100 US, and is probably worth it for the industry-standard mic. I'd say that's a good choice. Sennheiser makes some great mics too. Just read up on them and see which one suits you best.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
It's a good idea to buy your own mics. I personally like the Shure Beta58 and Sennheisser E945. Try as many mics out before you buy, some mics are more suited to certain voices than others.

If you need to supply your own PA, the EV ZLX series suggested above is a good option.

You should also consider getting a small mixer to mix your voices and guitars together. The mixer should have at least 4 channels but I'd go as many as you can within your budget in case you need it for larger gigs

Also buy quality DIs. Not Behringer or Art X. Buy at least DBX or Boss DIs.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Thank you all for the replys.

We may need to provide all the gear for some of the bars we are playing on, so we might buy everything we need to play.

We want it to be as cheap possible, but with good overall quality, i will take a look at the EV ZLX as suggested, but is there cheaper options ?! We dont need much power, just quality overall.

What mixers do you suggest, even if we cannot afford one right now, we can already take a look at some.
Gear :Squier + Vypyr 15W / UCG102 + Picks = Awesomeness !
There are always cheaper options. You could find a used JBL EON 10 for around $200 that might be "just enough" to cover what you want to do and sounds pretty good. The EV ZLX just happens to be a great value right now offering performance of a high-end $1000 QSC speaker for only $399. A lotta bang for the buck these days. The Carvin PM12A is a decent option at $279 but only accepts 1 mic so you will need a mixer right away... no savings.

Avoid off brand, store loss leader powered speakers as they will often disappoint. Nothing worse than playing an intimate acoustic gig with harsh, unintelligible vocals or screeching feedback. Most powered speaker systems below $400 new are really pretty awful.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 15, 2014,
Quote by ricardo_sousa11
What mixers do you suggest, even if we cannot afford one right now, we can already take a look at some.

Whatever you can afford from Soundcraft, Allen and Heath, Yamaha or Mackie.

You'll want a mixer that has minimum 4 xlr inputs, ideally 8. It will need phantom power to power DIs. Ideally it will also have some effects built in for reverb on the vox/guitar.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Definitely look at a small mixer to start out with. A non-power mixer with reverb is going to cost you at least $250, but will be worth it in the long run. Then powered speakers, such as the EV (there are lots of choices). The good thing about using an unpowered mixer and powered speakers is you can always add more powered speakers to the chain for more volume.
Like with any equipment - you get what you pay for. I know a guy who got a complete PA setup from MF for the price of that EV - including 2 mics, stands, a powered mixer, 2 unpowered main speakers and 2 small powered monitors. Yeah, $400 for all of that, but at anything past low volume, it doesn't sound very good at all.

On mics - different voices sound better on different mics. I like my SM58 as it cuts down on some of the unpleasant nasal highs in my voice, but I have a Sennheiser 835, too, which has a clearer top end. If you buy a Shure SM58, get it new from an authorized dealer as there are a lot of counterfeits out there (ebay) and mostly they sound like crap.
My reverbnation page

2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73 Epi 6830E
72 Fender Telecaster
Epi Dot Studio
Epi LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e uke
antique banjolin