So I've been trying to plan my pedalboard and work out the best place to sink my limited funds.
I'm thinking the best way to do it would be a Boss DD-20 and EHX Cathedral. Delay and reverb are my main priorities to give me the sound I want. These two are pretty much decided along with a volume and overdrive.

To cut to the chase, I'm thinking that the best way to finish off my board would something like the Zoom MS-50G or Line 6 M5 to cover the rest of my bases.
My thinking is, I'll have my main sounds with the dedicated pedals then if I need anything extra I'll have the little multi whenever I need something extra like chorus or some other sort of modulation.
The only reason I'm not sure between these two is the giggability (probably not not a word, but whatever). I need pretty much everything to be set into presets/patches that can be switched between via footswitch. I'm pretty sure on the Line 6, you can have preset patches with one effect in each and you can scroll through them, which should work fine for what I want.

I read a few things on the Zoom and from what I gathered you can have presets with up to 6 effects in each which can be switched between. I thought that would be perfect, I could have a preset with something like an extra delay and a chorus, then switch to the next one with a vibrato and octave using the footswitch and just order the patches according to the band's set. But when I watched some videos this didn't really seen the case. It seemed like the only way it could be set up was to have six slots and you use the buttons around the footswitch to select what effects you want in each slot. This sort of thing wouldn't work for me in a gig situation.
Am I right in thinking this is how it works?

tldr: I want a small footprint, small cost (under about $170AU) multi effects pedal like the Line 6 M5 or the Zoom MS50G to fill out my board. I need the pedal to be able to have preset sounds that I can scroll through using my feet in a gig situation (i.e. no bending over and pressing buttons. Would both the Zoom and the Line 6 work for me? Is there something else I've missed that would do the trick?
[404]Signature not found
I say go for the Zoom. I have a Zoom MS-100BT and it's a fantastic pedal.
If you update the MS-50G's software to version 2.01 you get exactly the same effects as the Zoom MS-100BT.

(I'm hoping they release a free update to the MS-100BT to increase the number of effects too, or else I'll feel ripped off for paying extra when the MS-50G now has all of its effects. )

As far as patches go, you have 50 slots for patches (IIRC) and you can cycle between patches simply with the main switch, with your foot.

In each patch you can have up to 6 effects turned on simultaneously, but when you're cycling between patches you can't access the individual effects inside each patch.
You have to exit the "patch selection mode" where you use the switch to cycle between patches and open the patch you want to turn on/off the individual effects.

When you have a single effect on screen, the MS-50G is pretty much like that single pedal -- the main switch turns the effect on or off, and the knobs let you adjust the pedal's settings.
The small "arrow buttons" around the main switch let you select the pedals to the left/right of the pedal currently shown on the screen.

If you only want to use your foot, you can simply have a patch with, for example,

Overdrive -> Delay -> Chorus -> Reverb

and the next patch with

Overdrive -> Reverb

to cycle between them when you want to turn on/off the delay and chorus at the same time.

You can create patches for your band's whole set and then organize them according to the setlist order, so you can go through the whole set simply pressing one button with your foot.

Again, for example, setting up something like this:

For the first song,
PATCH 1: Overdrive -> Reverb
PATCH 2: Booster -> Overdrive -> Delay -> Reverb (for the solo)
PATCH 3: Overdrive -> Reverb (and back to the previous setting after the solo)

For the second song,
PATCH 4: Octaver -> Fuzz

For the third song,
PATCH 5: Distortion -> EQ -> Delay
PATCH 6: EQ -> Delay -> Reverb (for a clean passage)

enables you to scroll down through the patches list until the end of your band's set.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I have a Zoom MS50G laying around. I used it A LOT when I was in a cover band and needed to dial in certain effects that I don't normally carry (phasers, reverbs, double delays, etc).

It's great for that. There's at least 1 decent patch for every modulation you can think of (except univibe), and ended up saving me a lot of space. I actually was able to get rid of some of my digital based effects (my 2nd delay and my reverb), which was a huge plus to the wallet and to the real estate on my board.

The dirt/amp sims/compressors/boosters really suck on it, but I already have a good amp and a few good dirt pedals laying around, so who cares? I don't...

It's also great for experimenting with effects. I would say the modulation could be equated to any BOSS pedal you'd buy. So basically, not the most organic and beautiful sounding modulations, but they work and sound good enough to use live. Plus, being able to chain 6 effects in a row for each patch and change the order of them is pretty useful

As long as you have a decent setup to begin with (are you happy with the way your guitar/amp sounds?), you're gold. Go for it!
Last edited by mjones1992 at Aug 15, 2014,
Quote by mjones1992
I have a Zoom MS50G laying around.

Have you already updated it to version 2.01? You get 45 new effects with it.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/ms-50g/software/
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
That's sweet! Is there any way I can bypass it when I'm in patch mode? Or just set up a blank patch?

I'm pretty sure I'll go for the Zoom. Sounds nuts for the price they ask.

And yeah, very happy with my guitars/amp. Running a Framus and a modded Les Paul into an Egnater Tweaker 88 into an Orange 212. I got that covered
[404]Signature not found
Quote by Linkerman
Have you already updated it to version 2.01? You get 45 new effects with it.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/ms-50g/software/

Yep! I don't think I have very many of the new ones in any of my patches, but I remember a couple of them being a huge improvement over the original ones

Quote by jmaguire
That's sweet! Is there any way I can bypass it when I'm in patch mode? Or just set up a blank patch?

I'm pretty sure I'll go for the Zoom. Sounds nuts for the price they ask.

And yeah, very happy with my guitars/amp. Running a Framus and a modded Les Paul into an Egnater Tweaker 88 into an Orange 212. I got that covered

I just used to have a bunch of blank patches set up where I needed them (it's one of those things where I would make sure the set list was down the night before a gig and then set it up the night before so everything was ready to go). It's also really quick to switch between patch mode and regular mode once you get used to it.

There's a bypass switch by holding the footswitch, but I think it might actually bypass the entire board (can't remember).
Last edited by mjones1992 at Aug 15, 2014,
That's cool.

By bypassing the whole board do you mean that your signal just goes dry through the pedal? Because that's what I'm looking for. I thought holding it was for the tuner?

I'm not looking to have all my effects in this pedal, it's just for extra effects that I might need for like one part in one song at a time. Hence why I'm not looking at an M13 or something that's a bit more serious.
[404]Signature not found
Quote by jmaguire
That's cool.

By bypassing the whole board do you mean that your signal just goes dry through the pedal? Because that's what I'm looking for. I thought holding it was for the tuner?

I'm not looking to have all my effects in this pedal, it's just for extra effects that I might need for like one part in one song at a time. Hence why I'm not looking at an M13 or something that's a bit more serious.

I meant it kills the signal completely. You may be right that it's a tuner (I think it does that or tap tempo). I don't remember exactly :-/ I haven't had it on my board since April-ish.

If that's what you're going to be using it for (just a few added effects), I would just make whatever effects patches you need, keep a blank one as 'Patch A' and then just change whatever you have set as 'Patch B' to the effect you want for each song. It's pretty easy and quick to do (like seriously MAYBE 4 button presses at most).