Strange title lol but I'll expand.
I'm running the Great North Run (UK half marathon) in a few weeks and I'm doing it in fancy dress. The costume includes carrying a replica guitar.
I'm after ideas for a lightweight wood or other material to make the guitar from.
A pal has suggested plywood but I'm not sure it if it will break.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as to the best way of making something light but "carryable" if you will
Plywood is a pretty strong board material, you'd need to work out the sweet spot between weight and strength because it's not light when you have to carry it for 13 miles.

I'd just get a guitar shaped template printed out, stick it to the plywood and then cut around it with a jigsaw and spray it to look like a guitar - maybe making the neck a little wider for strength and see how it works out. You could always reduce the size by say a third, I doubt anyone would notice and it would make it a lot lighter.
i would guess that a small acoustic guitar would be pretty light weight. Plywood depending on the thickness could be a bit heavy for 13 miles.
I suggest making it out of lead lol...it kinda depends how strong you are though I suppose a good one to use would be balsa...you can probably just get a really shitty and cheap guitar on amazon for like $20 lol
If it doesn't have to be a real guitar, how about one of those inflatable guitars? They would be really light.
^ yeah

failing that somethign which is mainly hollow
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cheers for the replies, someone else has suggested that thin foam type stuff stuck to a thin layer of plywood for strength. Not bothered about those inflatable ones as it has to be a specific shape. Looks like I'll be getting the jigsaw out of the loft.
Pine is quite light and guitars were made out of pine a long time ago but it might be tricky to get a pine guitar these days.
Im a magician, and I wanted to do a floating guitar type trick (illusion, sorry ). I was thinking for this I could build one out of balsa wood and cover it with a veneer of some sort. it might work for you, and as im sure you all know balsa wood is light as anything. (lighter than cardboard.)
Last edited by ygmantell at Aug 18, 2014,
lol nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thats pretty cool!
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
why not cut it out of cardboard and put it in desired shapes gigbag?
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
LOL nice
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?