Page 1 of 2
So my friend was recently attacked in NYC for filming someone who was already causing a scene. Here's the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fF-9sfhjr4

It got me thinking though, should filming someone in public warrant this kind of reaction? Sure, you could say the guy was provoked, but I also feel like public streets are fair game for video recording.

Thoughts?
Quote by ukdudeinuk
Go whippingpost!!
If you're being a dick and someone pulls out a camera, it's usually a good sign that you should stop being a dick.

If I'm just casually minding my own business and someone is aiming a camera at me though, I would probably suspect that I'm about to be pranked or some shit and I would either politely ask why the person was filming or I'd just move, depending on the situation.
Film whoever the **** you want
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Public streets are fair game, but if you film someone having some personal argument and they tell you to stop doing it, and you don't stop doing it, you're an asshole.
After watching the video, I wouldn't have been saddened if either of them got knocked the **** down.
The camera guy was just being a douche for the sake of it, and the black guy was just acting like a 3 year old. Throwing trash bags around like a goon.

Either way, public places are just that; public. If people are going to film, then they're going to film. If they get asked to stop, they should probably stop but they don't have to. They should also not act shocked when the person who asked them to stop gets pissed.
Legally, you cannot film or photograph someone without their consent. (You can film or photograph the police, but not regular citizens.) So, yes, it is justifiable for that guy to get angry over your friend filming him, despite the fact that the guy was already being an asshole.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Legally, you cannot film or photograph someone without their consent. (You can film or photograph the police, but not regular citizens.) So, yes, it is justifiable for that guy to get angry over your friend filming him, despite the fact that the guy was already being an asshole.

Here's Sam being wrong about things again.

If you're in a public space with no reasonable expectation of privacy it's totally legal.
PM me for newts
Quote by StewieSwan
Here's Sam being wrong about things again.

If you're in a public space with no reasonable expectation of privacy it's totally legal.

Except, you know, it's not, if they protest.

Technically, you need at least verbal permission. Legal allowances are made if you're, for instance, filming a documentary or public event. But since TS's friend was filming the asshat in the video specifically because the guy was throwing a tantrum, the asshat was well within his rights to get pissed off over it. It wasn't a documentary or public event; it was filming the asshat's behavior.
Even if you express disapproval to the person filming?

^ I guess that answers it. Wouldn't make sense to have the law on the side of someone pretty much abusing someone else
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Aug 15, 2014,
I've read up on this because I've made a short film with a lot of scenes on streets. Totally fair game to film them, however, you can't "focus" on them and you can't use footage if they've explicitly asked you not to film them.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Photographer here. It's totally legal.
You can film whoever you want in public.

Don't let incorrectsam23_Atax tell you differently.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by JustRooster
Photographer here. It's totally legal.

Tell that to a lawyer.

Edit:
Apparently, some of you need to do a google search on laws regarding photography and filming.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 15, 2014,
Yeah, if you're in public, you have no expectation of privacy as anyone can see and hear you. Getting mad that you're being filmed in public is pretty dumb, and if you're doing something stupid you probably deserve the perpetual humiliation that video records can provide.
If the person doesn't know their being photographed, it's totally legal. Trust me. I have over 7500+ pictures of my neighbours undressing (I live in an apartment building).
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Tell that to a lawyer.

Edit:
Apparently, some of you need to do a google search on laws regarding photography and filming.
No, it's legal. There may be some exceptions somewhere but generally you're good to go when filming on public property.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Tell that to a lawyer.

Edit:

"I'm Sam and I googled something quick so I'm smarter than people who have worked in the industry."
Quote by JustRooster
"I'm Sam and I googled something quick so I'm smarter than people who have worked in the industry."

I'mSamandIgoogledsomethingquicksoI'msmarterthanpeoplewhohaveworkedintheindustrysam23_Atax
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by Skynyrd890
I'mSamandIgoogledsomethingquicksoI'msmarterthanpeoplewhohaveworkedintheindustrysam23_Atax

Thanks for the ftfy, bud.
Quote by JustRooster

Oh, fuck off.
Quote by JustRooster

Wait, so can people film you even if you explicitly tell them not to?
Question: Putting aside whether recording someone in a public space is illegal or not based on it being in a public space, what's the legality for once they specifically request not to be photographed/recorded? At that point they are clearly voicing that they do not wish to be captured, is it still legal after that?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Wait, so can people film you even if you explicitly tell them not to?

You can't, because this one time I was filming below girls' their skirts and they told me to stop and I didn't and I got arrested and put on some sexoffenders list.

This didn't actually happen but it is indeed a case in which you would be arrested, therefore they should arrest you in any case.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by snipelfritz
I was expecting this. People who still say "Videotape" or "taping" need to get back to the holler where they belong.

What would you rather us say? Film?
Israel is a terrorist state.
Quote by Neo Evil11
You can't, because this one time I was filming below girls' their skirts and they told me to stop and I didn't and I got arrested and put on some sexoffenders list.

This didn't actually happen but it is indeed a case in which you would be arrested, therefore they should arrest you in any case.

Can confirm.
video in OP just made me miss NYC lol

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Public streets are fair game, but if you film someone having some personal argument and they tell you to stop doing it, and you don't stop doing it, you're an asshole.

Yep. You can't just go around filming and taking pics of whoever you want, especially of they ask you to stop.

How would you feel if you and the missus were having an argument and some kunt started filming you
Quote by LivinJoke84
Yep. You can't just go around filming and taking pics of whoever you want, especially of they ask you to stop.

How would you feel if you and the missus were having an argument and some kunt started filming you

i'd feel embarrassed to be having an argument in a public place
I'm a firm believer in natural rights, so if you decide to film someone that's fine, but if they get angry about it that's also fine, and you need to know that people may worry when you do things like that (for example you can take a video without context to the police and ruin someone's life), similar to freedom of speech you can say anything you want but people can and will react badly, and when it's filmed everything becomes more severe
That guy was being an asshole, but the guy with the camera was a dumb asshole as well. Why would you not stop filming? I was actually kind of hoping the black guy would kick his ass.
I agree with the no expectation of privacy in public thing. If the guy cared so much about his public image, he shouldn't have been making a huge scene knowing he was being recorded and that more people were probably gonna pull out their cameras and start recording too.
Quote by ukdudeinuk
Go whippingpost!!
Okay do you want privacy or live in a police state pit you can't have both so pick a side.
Page 1 of 2