Page 1 of 2
Because **** liking things, I don't even like the things that I like

St. Vincent- S/T

This one I was kinda excited for because I liked Strange Mercy and it was hyped a lot but I didn't really like it at all. I know it's tongue-in-cheek but the absurdness kinda made it hard to listen to tbh

Cynic- Kindly Bent to Free Us

*sigh*

Alcest- Shelter and Warpaint- Warpaint

Both are good albums, but they were released way early in the year and kinda grew off me a bit

Mastodon- Once More Round the Sun

I liked this one a lot, and it's their best album since Crack The Skye but it's not AOTY

Obviously there's a bunch more that aren't my AOTY but post albums that you thought might be your AOTY but ended up not
joyce manor's new one :-(

Cloud Nothings was underwhelming. Oxymoron was super boring. A lot of stuff I listened to this year was not good enough for me to even remember the name.
the things we carry - have heart

came out in 2006 so can't be aoty
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by MinterMan22
joyce manor's new one :-(

this

so much disappointment. Where the hell did all the energy go :/
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Aug 15, 2014,
Cynic- Kindly Bent to Free Us

*sigh*

Was gonna say this. I don't even know why they released that one under the name Cynic. It's not bad, but it feels more like an attempt at Jazz fusion than something you would have expected from Cynic.
Mastodon peaked at leviathan.

I don't have an album for this cause i preview pretty much every album i get except for the ones i know will be good so i haven't listened to anything disappointing enough
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Was gonna say this. I don't even know why they released that one under the name Cynic. It's not bad, but it feels more like an attempt at Jazz fusion than something you would have expected from Cynic.

That doesn't really bother me, Cynic have always been unpredictable and they can't change their band name every time they do something a bit different. If anything Carbon Based Anatomy was less Cynic-y than Kindly Bent to Free Us

Kindly Bent to Free Us just wasn't very good I thought :/
Quote by Philip_pepper
Rise Against's album didn't grip me.

They've been releasing the same album for like 3 albums at this point. New lyrics, slightly different arrangements. Same album style and sound.

Quote by whywefight
That doesn't really bother me, Cynic have always been unpredictable and they can't change their band name every time they do something a bit different. If anything Carbon Based Anatomy was less Cynic-y than Kindly Bent to Free Us

Kindly Bent to Free Us just wasn't very good I thought :/

CBA was still Metal though.

KBtFU was...jazz fusion and wasn't good. I just don't get how the band that released Focus and Traced in Air could release KBtFU. It's like...how do go from writing stuff that was solidly progressive metal to stuff that is terrible Jazz Fusion? For the record, I do like Jazz Fusion. I just can't figure out what they were thinking...
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 15, 2014,
Quote by robbo546hall
New Gaslight album is absolute garbage.

Yeah. Same shit over and over again gets tired fast. That's a band that NEEDS to change their sound.

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
They've been releasing the same album for like 3 albums at this point. New lyrics, slightly different arrangements. Same album style and sound.

Yeah, I thought EndGame was still solid, but it was already getting tiring in the second half of that album.

Sucks seeing that happen to a band.
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Aug 15, 2014,
Wasn't really feelin the new Joyce Manor record either, but then again I was never really into them

New Rise Against is boring as hell and probably one of the most formulaic bands in existence now, every song follows the exact same formula, not even the abrupt tempo changes are fun anymore
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
St. Vincent's grew on me a lot lately.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by RylanThePotato
New Rise Against is boring as hell and probably one of the most formulaic bands in existence now, every song follows the exact same formula, not even the abrupt tempo changes are fun anymore

they've been descending into the depths of bland buttpunk for a while now

Quote by Philip_pepper
Yeah, I thought EndGame was still solid, but it was already getting tiring in the second half of that album.

Sucks seeing that happen to a band.

Not even a valid comparison. Comparing Megadeth and Rise Against is like comparing an apple and a pineapple.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Not even a valid comparison. Comparing Megadeth and Rise Against is like comparing an apple and a pineapple.

lolllllll I thought of that too for a second

Endgame was the name of Rise Against's album too
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Well, which would you rather have pulled out of your ass?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Really nothing that's apart of my music taste has come out this year. Opeths album is balls, and I like mastodons new album, probably best of the year for me so far. Wake me up when the djent bands (hehehehhhehh) release some new shit.
Sail upon the open skies
I came in here to say Because the Internet, but then realized it came out in December, so it technically doesn't qualify

But still. Such a poor album I've never even got through a full listen.
I guess Opeth isn't AOTY either but I don't think anyone really expected it to be amazing
Listen to Trophy Scars- Holy Vacants then

Not the best album ever but it's the most fun I've had listening to an album for a longggg time
Quote by whywefight
I guess Opeth isn't AOTY either but I don't think anyone really expected it to be amazing

I hoped for it to be better than heritage, but it's the same album just different riffs.

Eternal Rains and Faith in Others are decent songs though.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by whywefight
lolllllll I thought of that too for a second

Endgame was the name of Rise Against's album too

I know.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Well, which would you rather have pulled out of your ass?

A pineapple, because masochism!
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 15, 2014,
Also Slaves really disappointed me, Jonny Craig is one of my favorite voices ever but the album was just boring to me
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
This may sound weird, but I've actually been listening to German rap.

It's surprisingly not bad. I think I like it cuz it's the only thing that has RATM-level energy.
I'm gonna say the new Rise Against one too. I love RA so much but I mean... jesus. Even my friend who's a diehard fan was super disappointed. It's really sad because there are still a few really good songs on there that show how awesome they could be (eg. Zero Visibility and the title track) if Tim didn't just keep rewriting the same song over and over again. Like ****, Tragedy + Time is the EXACT SAME SONG as Audience of One. I liked maybe half of that album. Really was hoping for more.
I don't think any other bands I listen to regularly have released anything this year yet. Seems like Billy Talent might be so I hope that lives up to Dead Silence since that one would have been my AOTY if The Afterman hadn't come out

EDIT: Oh I haven't heard Once More Round the Sun yet but honestly after The Hunter I'm not super interested
Quote by R. Shackleford.
Glad to see the sex king getting some action I think it might be time for me to pull him out again tonight and take him for a spin around the rift.
Last edited by AnEvilWalrus at Aug 15, 2014,
Everything I didn't list in the AOTY thread, obviously.

Except maybe Mastodon's Once More Round the Sun. I also haven't yet given it a listen, but don't have high hopes after The Hunter. There were a few good ones on The Hunter but nothing really AOTY worthy.
I also used to be quite the Pink Floyd fanboy, so idk about their album this year we'll see... i'll probably be more forgiving than other people.
Last edited by institutions at Aug 15, 2014,
Whoever sings im living the life of dreams on the apple ad. Now i have to be happy at all times, wear skinny clothes, be very heartfelt and love playing ukelele.
Billy Talent's Dead Silence was solid. That's an example of a band upping the ante after a very, very bland third album that sounded like every song was on repeat.
I was seriously underwhelmed by the new Mad Caddies album. There are some solid songs, but overall it's not even half as good as the last two. And it doesn't help that I was so damn excited for it AND bought the CD at their show two days before it was released. So much hype. So much meh.

Quote by Philip_pepper
Rise Against's album didn't grip me.

I hate to say I agree with this.
Edit2: People Live Here almost brought me to tears though. Best song on the album by far.

Quote by crazysam23_Atax

You shut your whore mouth. Appeal To Reason and Endgame were great.

This one, though? It's just...it's like you can suddenly tell that the band is getting old and can't conjure the same fire and energy that they used to have.

Edit:
Quote by Philip_pepper
Billy Talent's Dead Silence was solid. That's an example of a band upping the ante after a very, very bland third album that sounded like every song was on repeat.

You didn't like 3? Are you crazy?
Last edited by archangels at Aug 15, 2014,
Quote by archangels
You shut your ***** mouth. Appeal To Reason and Endgame were great.

This one, though? It's just...it's like you can suddenly tell that the band is getting old and can't conjure the same fire and energy that they used to have.

Appeal to Reason was good. Endgame was a copy of AtR.

But I'll just keep my whore mouth open, thanks.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Appeal to Reason was good. Endgame was a copy of AtR.

But I'll just keep my whore mouth open, thanks.

If anything, I thought Endgame was more a copy of Sufferer, just with some vague, overarching storyline.
Quote by whywefight
St. Vincent- S/T

This one I was kinda excited for because I liked Strange Mercy and it was hyped a lot but I didn't really like it at all. I know it's tongue-in-cheek but the absurdness kinda made it hard to listen to tbh

Yeah I kind of bought it on impulse a couple of weeks ago (I'm just starting to get into her and I was only planning on getting Strange Mercy but I thought I might as well) and I've only heard each album twice but I liked Strange Mercy much better. I still have to give it time though.
Endgame was where they started to really feel like they were getting tired. It's still a good album but it's very obviously where the decline started

As for BT Dead Silence is their best album imo and I never thought I'd say that about anything but BT1
BT3 was probably better than 2 as an overall album I think but it had a few low points for sure and I can understand why people don't like it as much
Quote by R. Shackleford.
Glad to see the sex king getting some action I think it might be time for me to pull him out again tonight and take him for a spin around the rift.
Quote by archangels

You didn't like 3? Are you crazy?

It's not that it's a bad album, it's got some kick ass songs, but when you compare it to BTII it lacked the dynamic between Ian and Ben, in my opinion, which for me made the second album so awesome. It lacked that and the angry energy of the first album. Also, Lots of songs blended with each other, it gave off the impression that they were struggling to think outside the box

Dead Silence brought everything back together though. And thank god for that. Ian went mental with guitar riffs.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
I came in here to say Because the Internet, but then realized it came out in December, so it technically doesn't qualify

But still. Such a poor album I've never even got through a full listen.

I've come to not expect anything from glover.
I don't even kno if he takes himself seriously.
Quote by archangels
If anything, I thought Endgame was more a copy of Sufferer, just with some vague, overarching storyline.

Nah. But it doesn't matter. I've not liked their work since AtR.
Page 1 of 2