Sometimes, out of the blue, I'll get a phone call from a Sweetwater salesperson asking if I've been wanting/needing any new musical gear, or to ask about an inquiry I made a year prior. Has anyone else had a similar experience with Sweetwater's sales team? It seems a bit odd to me that they seem to actively call people who have made contact with them in the past, even if they haven't bought anything from Sweetwater.
They have what's called a "tickler" file- an old and effective technique. It lets them cull people who are no longer interested in their company, which saves them money and potentially makes sales by refamiliarizing you with them.

Most often, the person "tickling" you is either a newer employee or someone who actually dealt with you. Either way, it humanize a the company and improves the bottom line.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
it's just sales.

old rule in sales, if you aren't calling your on your clients, someone else is.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
1. "i'm not interested"
2. "i'm hanging up now"

my house gets sales calls several times a week from random people.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Jesus that would piss me off.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

believe it or not, that used to be considered good service.

and you would be glad they called.

these days people are insulted if you take a second of their time to make sure they have everything they need.

sad really.
Quote by gregs1020

and you would be glad they called.

these days people are insulted if you take a second of their time to make sure they have everything they need.

sad really.

Agreed, When I started in sales over 25 years ago, I was always taught to follow up. It showed pride in your position and concern for your potential customers. Yes it helped to possibly get a sale, but there is a huge difference between that and high pressure sales tactics. Many people I contacted were surprised I called and actually appreciated it. Some bought other products at the time but came to me next time they needed something because I followed up and the salesperson that actually sold them the first time didn't bother.
Quote by gregs1020

I work in financial services -- we're *required* by securities regulations to conduct a yearly review with our clients.

I ordinarily don't appreciate telemarketing, particularly the recorded calls that simply don't quit. I don't appreciate spam.

But an occasional call that's respectful and specific works just fine for me.
fastmerc. dspellman, absolutely.

i've had customers longer than i've worked at any single company. they stay with me, not the company i work for. largely because i stay in contact with my old clients, even if just to call them at the end of the year to say hello and happy holidays etc.

the generation of "you get a trophy for just showing up and everyone is a winner" doesn't recognize good service sometimes. too busy with the ear buds in and eyes glued to their twitter feed to be bothered by someone who wants to make sure they have what they need.

is sweetwater trying to get sales? of course. but in doing so they are trying to build relationships with their customers to increase customer loyalty.

i appreciate the occasional call from them and i respect them for actually calling. when i get those calls i typically buy something even if it's just a few packs of strings to show my gratitude.

when i want something, i can call them and get them to price match the other store's 20% off coupons.

Quote by dspellman
I work in financial services

i had my suspicions.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 16, 2014,
Sorry, but if I want something I'll call up. I don't want someone interrupting my sleep, dinner, football whatever.

If you have a relationship with someone, that's fine and different, but cold calling and asking if you want to buy something would just lead to me putting the phone down. I put something in my cart on a website recently and then decided to go with another company, the one I didn't buy from called me 3 times in an hour to see if I needed 'help'.

In the UK we've recently started getting cold callers and answer machine calls all the time, and it's so annoying!

You think it's good service but I find it irritating and intrusive. You don't build relationships with me by waking me up when I'm on a night shift.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Aug 16, 2014,
you guys really feel that way as people who used to be in sales? i personally start to get a little put off if a salesperson approaches me in any capacity - i want the salesperson to simply be available, not be a tour guide. phone calls can be intrusive - emails i don't mind at all.

it's a different thing entirely if you actually have "clients" in the maximum business sense, where you're managing accounts that some representative of a company opens with you. and you're calling during business hours.
Quote by archerygenious

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by gregs1020
fastmerc. dspellman, absolutely.

i've had customers longer than i've worked at any single company. they stay with me, not the company i work for. largely because i stay in contact with my old clients, even if just to call them at the end of the year to say hello and happy holidays etc.

the generation of "you get a trophy for just showing up and everyone is a winner" doesn't recognize good service sometimes. too busy with the ear buds in and eyes glued to their twitter feed to be bothered by someone who wants to make sure they have what they need.

is sweetwater trying to get sales? of course. but in doing so they are trying to build relationships with their customers to increase customer loyalty.

i appreciate the occasional call from them and i respect them for actually calling. when i get those calls i typically buy something even if it's just a few packs of strings to show my gratitude.

when i want something, i can call them and get them to price match the other store's 20% off coupons.

i had my suspicions.

gregs, you are awesome, +1,000,000

Sweetwater is a good company, I bought a pack of picks on ebay ($2.99 free shipping) and they sent the picks, a flyer, receipt, and a small bag of candy
Did they have any good deals when they called? If my guy at the local music shop called to tell me they just received something that I had been interested in, that's good service. Some company that I have no previous contact with? Yeah no thanks.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
used to be in sales?

i think you guys are missing the point. we aren't talking about telemarketers here.

here in the US we have a "do not call" list. if you don't want telemarketers (i don't know anyone who does) then you just put your number on the list. real simple.

but there's a difference between a telemarketing call and a sales person (who you have worked with in the past) calling to make sure you know they want your business when you do decide to make a purchase.

huge difference.

Quote by JGM258
gregs, you are awesome

thank you, that's exactly what my best customers tell me.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
you guys really feel that way as people who used to be in sales? i personally start to get a little put off if a salesperson approaches me in any capacity

because you know everything and don't need any advice or opinions from professionals in any industry.

kudos man.
Quote by gregs1020
used to be in sales?

i think you guys are missing the point. we aren't talking about telemarketers here.

here in the US we have a "do not call" list. if you don't want telemarketers (i don't know anyone who does) then you just put your number on the list. real simple.

but there's a difference between a telemarketing call and a sales person (who you have worked with in the past) calling to make sure you know they want your business when you do decide to make a purchase.

huge difference.

thank you, that's exactly what my best customers tell me.

because you know everything and don't need any advice or opinions from professionals in any industry.

kudos man.

Maybe its different in the states but those do not call lists never work.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by gregs1020

kudos man.

i can sort of see your point of view, but it seems quaint. any savvy shopper will know not to trust a salesperson so readily, especially if the person is representing a huge company where any concept of serving the customer's best interests is diluted. it isn't the fault of the individual salesperson, it's just the inherent conflicting interests (mixed with a bit of modern cynicism) at play.

and there are plenty of other ways to get advice from less biased channels.
Quote by archerygenious

Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
i can sort of see your point of view, but it seems quaint. any savvy shopper will know not to trust a salesperson so readily, especially if the person is representing a huge company where any concept of serving the customer's best interests is diluted. it isn't the fault of the individual salesperson, it's just the inherent conflicting interests (mixed with a bit of modern cynicism) at play.

What like a forum or review site? Totally less biased.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE

thanks for being open minded. i never trust any single source of information. but i will ask a sales person for info as they should be at least knowledgeable on the product/service they are offering.

it doesn't mean i have to buy from them, it's their job to answer questions and recommend solutions.

and just because i ask a question of them doesn't mean i don't know or suspect what the answer should be. maybe i'm just double checking their knowledge because i don't want to buy from an idiot. they don't know why i'm asking just that it's their job to answer or find the answer.

i'm put in situations where i have to become an instant expert on things if i want to expand my annual revenues. that means quick research and digging deep into something i know nothing about at the onset. you learn quick in that situation to ask questions of anyone who "should" know the answer, and if they don't, my next question is "who would know this?"

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Maybe its different in the states but those do not call lists never work.

more of a "please don't call me if you can hold back" list?
Nope. Then again I've never bought from Sweetwater or given them my number so it'd be kind of creepy if they did.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That's what I meant. Cold calling is shitty and annoying. A call from someone who you are in business with is a completely welcome call. It's totally different.

Still, Sweetwater (while I've never used them) seem to be a fairly big company, so unless I've expressed an interest in something and they're calling me up to tell me they've got it in stock, calling to ask if I want to buy anything is a cold call and seems desperate.

Ex Directory, as it's called here, is a waste of time too.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Aug 16, 2014,
Sweetwater is the only music store/company that will give you a call about a week after you buy an item to make sure everything is OK with your purchase. That is great customer service. I have never received a call from them for any other reasons though.

While I can appreciate what they do, I would be kinda annoyed if I got a call to see if I wanted anything. If it was a call because I was looking for an item and it was just available then that would be a bit different
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Mephaphil
Sorry, but if I want something I'll call up. I don't want someone interrupting my sleep, dinner, football whatever.

Bingo! Or get on internet and order it. Etc.

If you have a relationship with someone, that's fine and different, but cold calling and asking if you want to buy something would just lead to me putting the phone down.

Yeah, and it's not a relationship if some random employee calls me up because I spoke to him 10 months ago (and he didn't even introduce himself).
^ Agreed.

Quote by Mephaphil
That's what I meant. Cold calling is shitty and annoying. A call from someone who you are in business with is a completely welcome call. It's totally different.

Still, Sweetwater (while I've never used them) seem to be a fairly big company, so unless I've expressed an interest in something and they're calling me up to tell me they've got it in stock, calling to ask if I want to buy anything is a cold call and seems desperate.

Ex Directory, as it's called here, is a waste of time too.

Yeah we're on the list and still get cold-called occasionally. it's better than nothing, but still not amazing.

Even being called by a company you're in business with can be sort of cold-calling too, if you ask me. For example, AOL and BT are always phoning us up to try to con us into taking out more products/services we don't want or need under the pretense of doing us a favour get us to buy more of their products, and we don't want any more of their products, we just happen to deal with them already. If you ask me, that's cold-calling too.

Quote by Robbgnarly
Sweetwater is the only music store/company that will give you a call about a week after you buy an item to make sure everything is OK with your purchase. That is great customer service. I have never received a call from them for any other reasons though.

While I can appreciate what they do, I would be kinda annoyed if I got a call to see if I wanted anything. If it was a call because I was looking for an item and it was just available then that would be a bit different

Agreed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gregs1020
it's just sales.

old rule in sales, if you aren't calling your on your clients, someone else is.

No other music retailers are calling me, so in this case that isn't true. :P
Quote by Fastmerc
Agreed, When I started in sales over 25 years ago, I was always taught to follow up. It showed pride in your position and concern for your potential customers. Yes it helped to possibly get a sale, but there is a huge difference between that and high pressure sales tactics.

In my case, they aren't following up on anything - The calls that I've gotten from them are cold calls in an attempt to sell products.
I like their customer service, so that's fine with me as long as they're not calling at weird hours of the night.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Never had that problem.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Sweetwater sales reps calling is no problem. Mine has called me several times to see how my purchases went, if I've had any problems and of course if there's anything I needed. It just so happened my studio monitors were having problems, I just hadn't had time to call. He also reminded me that they were cover for a whole year more. My most recent order included a speaker and it was a less expensive amp speaker and was curious as to why I had ordered that particular speaker. My Carvin amp has a Vintage 30 in it, it didn't have too much bottom end on it. So I tried it hooked up to my DSL40 with a Seventy80 in and it had what I was looking for. Their sales reps are musicians, mine just happens to be a bass player. My input and his question helps him in suggestions.
As for phone calls , most people now think it's intrusive and just as this says "aggressive sales people". I think they have it wrong, it's just good service. People have gone away from even talking to people on the phone. Even texting someone in the next room in their house. Example: MusiciansFriend had a promotion call for a coupon code, a lot of people on FB asked "what's the code", the response was just call the number above. "No, I don't do phone calls".
Last edited by kennym9898 at Aug 16, 2014,
I actually appreciate it. Most of the calls I get from them are sort of a post-purchase follow up, you know, the whole "is everything doing what it's supposed to, are you satisfied with what you bought, can we help in any way" kind of thing.

Their customer service is generally much better than any of the other companies that I've bought from online.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yea, I don't want any calls lol.

If there's a problem be sure that I'll call you.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Exactly. Nothing's worse than having to spend 15 minutes telling a sales rep that it's all working fine and that they're keeping you from eating dinner.