I'm wondering how you think pickups and amps interact. If you have an amp you really like, do you think that pickups are less of an issue, or conversely, if you have pickups you really like, do you think they sound good through a wide range of amps? Or is it mostly additive eg good amp + good pickup = even better? Or maybe it is more complicated than that, particular pickups suit particular amps, eg strat SCs through tweeds, PAFs through Marshalls? FWIW, I think with a very bright amp like mine, you can get decent sounds from a lot of pickups by twiddling the tone controls but I had to be more choosy about the kind of pickups I used in the old Blues Deluxe and Classic 30. Or maybe I could have used an EQ stomp box.

Or is this a daft question?
I've heard guitars with pickups sound better when played through an amp and I wholeheartedly agree. I wouldn't suggest p90s with a 6505 nor emg actives with a Fender Twin but its pretty much a free for all.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
i generally use pickups which suit the amp (and vice-versa). So if I'm playing a vintage-style amp i generally prefer lower output pickups and that type of thing.

but that's not a rule or anything.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The amp has a bigger effect so that's where you should start. The smart way to do it is start with an amp and then work out what deficiencies could be fine tuned with pup selection. Choose pups to go with your amp, not the other way around. You don't choose a car to go with your tyres, you choose your tyres to suit your car. Same thing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^you mean tires
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I keep forgetting that you guys don't actually speak English. Sorry if I confused you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I keep forgetting that you guys don't actually speak English. Sorry if I confused you.

You beat me to it. And I agree with you on getting the amp, and then fine-tuning the pickups to suit. - This is exactly what I have done, and am still in he process of doing.
Quote by Cathbard

yeah we speak 'merican which is the most non-proper version of English I have ever heard.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think the most proper form of English is spoken in India as there are the most people that speak it 😀.

I find guitar construction, including shape, type of wood, and the way it resonates has a lot more to than pickups. For example a Kramer V I had sounded pretty much the same way with tame and hot pickups, ie they mattered less than the body that produced the sound.
Quote by Tony Done
I'm wondering how you think pickups and amps interact.
Or is this a daft question?

I think that if you have an amp that has a baked-in tone, it's going to be very difficult to EQ it to sound good if the pickups don't work with it. A Marshall's tone stack is demonstrably different from that of a Fender, and countering that if you want to get the pickups to sound the way they do with a Fender is a tough job.

This is why I've accumulated 15 tube amps over the years, and why I'm currently playing more through a modeler -- because I have a wide variety of tone stacks to play with and a neutral power amp/speaker system that won't color things. It's just a lot easier to tuck a Pod HD (or the like) into a bag than it is to pull a truck up to a recording studio and start unloading.

Why buy pickups based on your amplifier? In this day and age that makes no sense.
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 17, 2014,
Quote by diabolical
I think the most proper form of English is spoken in India as there are the most people that speak it.

"Proper" and "consensus" really don't belong together.

Properistas are already fighting "phone text" language...

So there (Hashbrown #WTF?)
Quote by Cathbard

LOL

Quote by Robbgnarly

yeah we speak 'merican which is the most non-proper version of English I have ever heard.

you haven't been to ireland, have you? some of the accents here I can barely understand and I live here

i don't think there is any "proper" english, we don't have a regulatory board like some other languages do. all accents/dialects are fine, if you ask me
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dspellman
I think that if you have an amp that has a baked-in tone, it's going to be very difficult to EQ it to sound good if the pickups don't work with it. A Marshall's tone stack is demonstrably different from that of a Fender, and countering that if you want to get the pickups to sound the way they do with a Fender is a tough job.

This is why I've accumulated 15 tube amps over the years, and why I'm currently playing more through a modeler -- because I have a wide variety of tone stacks to play with and a neutral power amp/speaker system that won't color things. It's just a lot easier to tuck a Pod HD (or the like) into a bag than it is to pull a truck up to a recording studio and start unloading.

Why buy pickups based on your amplifier? In this day and age that makes no sense.

I think this highlights one of the features of electric guitar that is both a blessing and a curse. You can achieve a wide variety of tones, but where do you start with so many variables? I think most of us have to impose some kind of limits, or we spend much of our time time mucking with gear and very little actually playing it. I had a brief flirtation with digital multiFX, and found I was looking for sounds rather than focussing on learning new songs for the band. In my case it turned out to be totally unproductive, and I'm back to a good clean amp, a lot of pickups and a few pedals. I haven't even let myself think about speakers. But I'm not suggesting that it is a mistake for everyone, each to his own. - Everyone has to find their own solution.
As already mentioned, there are certain combos of amps and PUs that generally get along and sound good; however, preferences may result in atypical combinations. For example, I also love Strat and Tele (specially) SCs with Diezels and Bogners on high gain even though HBs are just as nice for different tones.