Hello,
I'm looking for a multieffects pedalboard but I really don't know what to choose. I play mostly heavy and trash metal and a bit of blues sometimes. So, I'm looking for a very heavy distortion (if it can help, I want a sound like Metallica's), a good wah effect, different types of delays (digital, analog, tap echo...) and a bit of flanger. Those are my favorite effects. Of course it's good if there are more in the multieffects pedal...

So there is my problem. I don't know what pedal I should buy:
the Boss ME-80, the Digitech RP1000 or the Zoom G5?
Or if it's even better if I buy pedal by pedal. If this idea is better, which pedals?

Any help would be precious.

Miguel Trillo.
What is your amp?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Aug 16, 2014,
Quote by miguelroldao9

Or if it's even better if I buy pedal by pedal. If this idea is better, which pedals?

Maybe instead of the G5, look into the cheaper G3X. It only has 3 pedal faces but it can have up to 6 effects in a chain and it has a rocker foot pedal you can use for wah effects and whatnot.
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1 Gravity Storm(neck)/X2N(bridge) Drop Db
Ibanez S421 Air Norton(neck)/Super Distortion(bridge) Drop D
7th Heaven->ML-2->Dr. Boogie->Zoom G3->GE-7->NS-2->Mute
Line 6 Spider II HD150+foot pedal
Some 4x12 cab

So far I haven't heard a distortion I like on a multifx. Look into Blackstar ht metal. You can use multifx for the rest. The Boss ME range stands better in front of an amp, but can't be looped in 4 cable mode if desired. I'd go for used, Boss gt-8 or gt-10.
Last edited by diabolical at Aug 17, 2014,
Pick up a Line 6 Pod HD 500X and go to this site: http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/

Dino Cazares has been using Pods since the XT on his albums, for example. Google is your friend.

You really don't need to worry much about the amp when you've got a Pod dialed in; you'll get the same results on a set of headphones, a computer DAW, a pair of good recording monitors, a full-range speaker setup like the Carvin LS 1503 with a power amp, or an arena PA system.
Quote by miguelroldao9

I'm a big fan of the Zoom G series. I have the G3 on my board, and it's excellent for the delays & modulations when I need them live, it's also really good for quiet headphone practice.

Like Diabolical said though, drives are almost always better on dedicated drive pedals or decent tube amps. If you're really serious about getting your sound right (and especially if you're going to be gigging), the right amp is definitely the way to go, then get some pedals to compliment it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by dspellman

You really don't need to worry much about the amp when you've got a Pod dialed in; you'll get the same results on a set of headphones, a computer DAW, a pair of good recording monitors, a full-range speaker setup like the Carvin LS 1503 with a power amp, or an arena PA system.

I don't agree with this at all. All these disparate Amps, pa systems, etc have different response types and will have to be tweaked accordingly.
Quote by diabolical
I don't agree with this at all. All these disparate Amps, pa systems, etc have different response types and will have to be tweaked accordingly.

Great. NOW you tell me. After I've been doing this for the last 10 years, NOW I find out I've been doing it all wrong. Sheesh.

The amount of tweaking required is minor. In fact, I DO have a global EQ tweak that I employ (for example) for the sound system at the Hollywood House of Blues. But if the sound systems are even remotely normalized, you're going to get very close to the same results.

You'll also get differences from the rooms themselves with a tube amp (bedroom with hard walls and a hollow floor, Legion Hall with a boomy stage floor and wall right next to your amp, arena where the sound goes out and never comes back, and your open back amp sounds completely different from what you're used to, the sound man mikes a single speaker on your 4x12 and what comes out of the PA sounds nothing like what you're hearing on stage, etc. You don't think there are different response types when you're using a tube amp? I've got news.
Forget about distortion FX, get something like a Boss GT-100 and use the amp/cab models.

If you have an amp, just run into the FX loop return to try to get a flat sound that way (not all guitar power amps are flat, but it's your best bet that route).

A few people here like Zoom and Digitech stuff a lot, I haven't really looked into them much so let them tell you about that stuff as well.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by dspellman
Great. NOW you tell me. After I've been doing this for the last 10 years, NOW I find out I've been doing it all wrong. Sheesh.

The amount of tweaking required is minor. In fact, I DO have a global EQ tweak that I employ (for example) for the sound system at the Hollywood House of Blues. But if the sound systems are even remotely normalized, you're going to get very close to the same results.

You'll also get differences from the rooms themselves with a tube amp (bedroom with hard walls and a hollow floor, Legion Hall with a boomy stage floor and wall right next to your amp, arena where the sound goes out and never comes back, and your open back amp sounds completely different from what you're used to, the sound man mikes a single speaker on your 4x12 and what comes out of the PA sounds nothing like what you're hearing on stage, etc. You don't think there are different response types when you're using a tube amp? I've got news.

I was also dioing it this way and it turned out to be huge hassle with different guitars and eq systems. Got the least disparate results with hybrid ss/tube rig, Sansamp PSA-1 into Peavey 50/50 tube power amp. Maybe I WS more particular than you are live, dunno.