ok so i had a bit of an accident with one of my acoustics. im really a noob, so it looks and souns alright, but if i had some subtle but but potentially guitar killing bit of damge (im thinking a bent neck) or something like that to it how would i know and what should i check for? im a bit ocd with my guitars and if they get knocked about even a bit it really plays on my mind.
Quote by NoTroll
ok so i had a bit of an accident with one of my acoustics. im really a noob, so it looks and souns alright, but if i had some subtle but but potentially guitar killing bit of damge (im thinking a bent neck) or something like that to it how would i know and what should i check for? im a bit ocd with my guitars and if they get knocked about even a bit it really plays on my mind.
If something, "looks and sounds alright", it usually is.

"Drop me" neck damage usually would take the form of a cracked neck or head stock, or maybe the neck heel separating from the body. Perhaps a maybe gouge in the neck wood, if it hit the edge of something. A large portion of the drop injuries seen at UG, are done to electrics, and most likely from hitting hardwood or concrete floors.

I have dropped, or allowed to fall over, any number of my instruments quite a few times. They all "sound and play well", so I don't get hysterical when it happens. Usually just a great big, "oh shit", is enough top relieve my stress.

With that said, damage from a fall can happen, to the unlucky, if dropped from a height, on to a concrete floor, or perhaps hitting a sharp corner of something. If none of those calamities overtook you, your guitar is likely OK.
many thanks guys. oh yeah the bent neck, i was more thinking with a sudden impact the truss rod inside could be bent or something without it showing on the outside at first. i dunno sounds possible doesnt it??
Last edited by NoTroll at Aug 20, 2014,
Quote by NoTroll
many thanks guys. oh yeah the bent neck, i was more thinking with a sudden impact the truss rod inside could be bent or something without it showing on the outside at first. i dunno sounds possible doesnt it??

I think it is very unlikely. The truss rod is very strong and lies in a small channel, so wouldn't be accident-prone compared to the rest of the guitar. Most truss rod damage, stripped screw threads, is caused by overtightening.