Hi,

I am recording electric guitar with reaper and a Shure SM57. I am using the mic pre amp in my 10 year old Digitech GNX4 multi fx, then running the line out into my pc.

I have been tweaking all the volumes (mic level and line out level on the gnx), plus mic level on the PC and I have got it sounding quite nice. I have some sound deadening as well.

I have been thinking about buying a Focusrite Forte, will it make a big difference in the quality of my recordings?

I have seen so many good vs bad pre amp threads, but none relating to a pre amp as bad as the one im using, hence the new thread.

Thanks for your advice
RG's & Mesa's
Yes it will. Not as much going in as going out - it's not just a preamp, it's an interface that will control what you hear going in and coming out. It will give you more accurate monitoring coming out of your computer that will help you get a clearer recording. The preamp on the input will definitely improve things going in (like you asked), no question there.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
A better preamp and a better ADC will get you a better sound, but if you only wanna record guitar you really don't need more than average quality pre's unless you're going for a reeeally good sound.

I'd get the interface if you planned to use it for other stuff too, say recording voice.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
the focusrite is an all in one unit yeah? Just plug mic into it and usb to pc and thats all I need yeah?

Ill prob just grab the focusrite forte as I always regret buying junk, but just so i can have a look, is there a similar feature wise product (obviously inferior) for around the $200 mark?

Cheers.
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by e32lover
the focusrite is an all in one unit yeah? Just plug mic into it and usb to pc and thats all I need yeah?
Yep.
Quote by e32lover
Ill prob just grab the focusrite forte as I always regret buying junk, but just so i can have a look, is there a similar feature wise product (obviously inferior) for around the $200 mark?
Lotsa stuff.
The best I can think of is the mackie onyx blackjack, and then there's the roland duo capture ex which sounds fairly good too.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I would just get the Forte and call it a day. Nice units, the Fortes.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
How inportant is the air you breathe,,, lol,,

You want good, buy good, breathing is ok
Want the best, Buy the best,,, lots of air
want to work for, buy cheap, lucky to live,,, lol

All good suggestions above, I just found the topic title kind of funny, lol

Most do well with a rather cheap $99 interface, the Pre's have really good usable quality, but it also takes a decent mic / instrument to be captured...

Ratings are all over the web, it's basically personal opinion, but better is always better and a little more money

The PreSonus VSL model are a good choice to Focusrite, and a great user Forum,,,
And provides a nice Virtual Studio Live mixer on top of the DAW.
To me a better choice by far... I bought the 44VSL and Studio One 2 Pro.
I've had the GNX4 since 2004,,, love that thing too
Last edited by The_Rocker at Sep 17, 2014,
Quote by e32lover
Hi,

I am recording electric guitar with reaper and a Shure SM57. I am using the mic pre amp in my 10 year old Digitech GNX4 multi fx, then running the line out into my pc.

I have been tweaking all the volumes (mic level and line out level on the gnx), plus mic level on the PC and I have got it sounding quite nice. I have some sound deadening as well.

I have been thinking about buying a Focusrite Forte, will it make a big difference in the quality of my recordings?

It will probably make a very significant difference in sound quality - you're using a (cheap) multi-fx processor as a a preamp and your computer's internal sound card as an interface. The Forte will smoke both of those.
Honestly, any interface on the market today will be much better than what you are using now.