Hi there, i am planning to buy a new guitar and i really like the guitars prs se custom 24 and parker pdf 105. I mostly play rock, jazz, fusion jazz.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PDF105QVSB/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SECust24TS/

To be honest i like parker better but i couldn't find much about the guitar on youtube or anywhere else(I feel like no one ever bought this guitar!!). Which one would you prefer? The fact that it's made in Indonesia and no one i know uses parker creates a doubt. Do you think this guitar is good or should i stick with the prs, or any cool guitar suggestions around $700-1000? Thanks in advance.
Indonesian-made guitars have a bit of a bad rap, and not unjustified.

But in the past few years, some very good guitars have been coming out of the Indonesian factories of certain brands. Dean Zelinksy Private Label, G&L Tributes, Ibanez, Radix and Swing all deliver good guitars from that region. Parker is another one trying the same path. And Parkers in general are pretty good guitars.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either one.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Indonesian-made guitars have a bit of a bad rap, and not unjustified.

But in the past few years, some very good guitars have been coming out of the Indonesian factories of certain brands. Dean Zelinksy Private Label, G&L Tributes, Ibanez, Radix and Swing all deliver good guitars from that region. Parker is another one trying the same path. And Parkers in general are pretty good guitars.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either one.

I have to respectfully call BS on this one as far as Indonesian guitars deserving a bad rap . I have had both a Parker Pro and a PRS SE 24 and they are just as good I'd not better then my MIA strat.

The Parker had a SD JB in the in the bridge and a SD Jazz in the neck. Coil tapping, Schaller Locking tuners, a graphite nut and an amazing neck. Tuned and intonated and set up perfectly right out of the box. The thing had a set neck and sustain for days... But it weighed like 6 lbs.

Sometimes I regret getting rid of it. But I had it for about 4 years then traded it in for my PRS. Which plays great. Sounds awesome with the SE pups. And stays in tune even when slamming on the whammy bar. My one and only complaint with my SE is that it has gold hardware which has not worn well over the last 2-3 years. But the playability is spot on.

No BS. I have been a strat guy my entire life but have considered selling it cause I rarely play it. But I know I'll regret it if I do.

Parker makes amazing guitars and I truly believe they are the most underrated guitars on the planet. A lot of people hate the look of them (personally I love the looks) so a lot of people won't even pick one up.

So I guess you may be right Danny. Maybe some MII guitars suck. But I've had good luck with all mine.

Also I checked out the DBZ guitars based on your recommendation awhile back. They look like awesome guitars and no one says anything bad about them. It's a shame I never see them around. I'd love to try one out
Well, the PRS SE hasn't got bad talk about it in a while. It is made in Korea after all. I've heard and seen some bad experiences about the cheaper Parkers, but also good.

To note, they are very different guitars altogether.. maybe try them out if it's a possibility.

If you want any suggestions and you've missed some brands like Schecter, ESP/LTD, Ibanez then check those out too. You might or might not find something more to your liking.

However, to add, I am quite sure that Sweetwater would not send a lemon to you, but then again, I could be wrong. Never ordered anything from them (from Northern Europe, probably explains a lot), but I've heard a lot of good things about Sweetwater.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I played an Indo Parker last month, it was nice but playing a USA Parker was exceptional. OK 5k but hey. Some are not fans of the stainless frets, I'd like to never have to worry about wear though. I like the trems but they are different, they have one USA model with a FR, the Vernon Reid one
Last edited by Tempoe at Aug 16, 2014,
I have to respectfully call BS on this one as far as Indonesian guitars deserving a bad rap .

Note, please, that I specifically posted out exceptions, including Parker. I had no idea PRS had any Indonesian-made products.

But I stand by my statement: if you look at the overall history of MiI guitars, the majority of them have had a bad rep, and deservedly so. Bad fret jobs, sloppy soldering subpar pups, etc. were the topic of many a review of MiI guitars. Many considered them equivalent to the Chinese made axes.

The companies I listed- plus PRS, aparently- are recent exceptions to the established rule. As I recall, the uptick in QC began @2009-2010. Before that, though? See above.

The improvement in quality is a trend I HOPE becomes the norm.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I thought PRS SEs were Korean
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes, my PRS is Korean. I was wrong. I was thinking it was Indonesian for some reason. Sorry. My bad
If you are considering the PRS, make sure to look for tuning problems. I've heard a lot of people that have problems with the tuners and nut(myself included). However, if you're willing to put down a little extra cash for some better tuners, it's a great guitar. I can't really say anything about the Parker.
I agree with people saying that Indonesian made means probably worse quality is false - it's much more down to the company and their QC. Lots of companies make lower or midrange models in Indonesia these days and the quality is pretty much consistent with quality of models made in other countries by said company.

I really think generally the "made in" tag is one of the least important specs to look at on a guitar, and mostly a great tool to inflate prices. If it's a mass production model, the quality will be good or bad based on whether how much the company cares, no matter if made in the US, Korea, Indonesia, or anywhere else. I'll only believe in any actual quality guarantee based on location if it's some custom high-end model made in small numbers.
I have a PRS SE that i'm very fond of and i usually chirp up in favor of them when they're mentioned, but I am really fascinated by Parkers as well. If you found one you like - i'm envious. I'd like to find one sometime but i've never seen one around here.
Quote by Smigzy
Yes, my PRS is Korean. I was wrong. I was thinking it was Indonesian for some reason. Sorry. My bad

no worries
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have played some PRS se custom 24. Pretty hit or miss.
I have no experience in any Parker guitar.
Do you feel like I do!?
Friend of mine has a Parker, but it's a original Ken Parker/ US-made version that includes piezo saddles in the trem. Outstanding guitar, and expensive. Just because no one YOU know plays a Parker may have more to do with the friends you keep than with the quality of the guitar <G>.

Parker guitars was founded by Ken Parker back in the early '90's and the then-radical shapes and concepts polarized guitar players. The quality was outstanding, however, and the guitars were extremely lightweight and very balanced.

The company was eventually sold in 2003 to a company that moved production to someplace like Illinois, and more recently it was sold to JAM music, a Canadian firm. I haven't seen one of their offshore-produced guitars anywhere.

Ken has no affiliation with the company, but still designs radical guitars, and has done some absolutely stunning acoustic guitars that are unlike any other.

I can't speak to the Indonesian models, but in every case with offshore-built guitars you need to take the parent company's reputation for quality into consideration.

It's not worthwhile to paint an entire country's output of guitars with the same brush.
Country of manufacture is, in a sense, as predictive of quality of manufacture as is brand name. Anyone can make a lemon or a gem, anywhere.

So it becomes a game of statistical odds: Fender vs First Act; USA vs Indonesia.

^ Yeah. You can overstate the differences, and of course we can list off some guitars made in a certain country which are much worse than the usual standard (or much better).

But that's not to say there isn't (often) some correlation, either.

That's not to say one country is inherently better at making something than another or anything like that, but if a country is generally used to make as-cheap-as-possible guitars, there's going to be some correlation there between country of origin and quality. If you ask a factory to make you something as cheap as possible, you end up with a cheap guitar. More often than not, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the lower end of the asian parkers are crap. ive picked up a few and they didnt pass my "eye ball spot check quality test" to teh point where i saw enough to piss my off and i put it down. i hear the higher end ones are nicer, like how Sterling (music man is) with thier JP asian models opposed to their lowest end ones.

i would have to see the parker. if i was buying blind offline, the PRS hands down. years of tride and true great feedback and reviews. those things are a great value on the market today.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I say go for the PRS SE Custom 24.
They're excellent guitars for the price. Well-built, reliable and sound great.
The quality check on them is great too, their good quality is consistent across different batches of shipments.

Also, everyone I know who has a PRS SE (myself included) doesn't have any tuning problems at all, even with stock tuners and nuts.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
agreed.

Even if I'm the worst guitar maker ever, if I make guitars 40 hours a week, how can you NOT improve or get eye for detail.

If there's a problem in that they all get explained the wrong assembly process, that's something else, but then it would be clear on an entire batch something is off.

Then there is off course the materials being used are better, though this is also often a partial subjective choice.

I think it's more or less about that American made guitars are checked by someone before they go out, so you can be sure it's "Checked". We also grow up with good education possibilities and a general upbringing of getting better and making something of your life, so the "care" is most likely higher.

Not too mention there are higher minimum wages in the USA, which means manufactures need to pay you more regardless of how good you work, and thus it's the logical business thing to only keep the best workers and/or expect people to give the best, cause in the end it's still competing with a guy works for 10 cents in Asia, and in a lot of other fields (Automotive for example or computing) work is already brought too Asia, because how good an American may be.. It seems it's not worth the labour cost and they (implied) are really not that better in producing something than a lot of Asian workers in their respective fields.

I mean when I did summer jobs I was a waiter, you know what one of the biggest student jobs is in Japan? Making microchips and checking if everything is soldered right. Debateably harder, but they get payed less and work shittier hours a lot of students not even coming home until the weekends.

Anecdotal: I have worked for a company and saw ways to improve efficiency, but they explained to me that their way makes them X amount of money in 5 years and is proven or estimated to work almost certainly. That's what most businessmen care about, if it work and turns profit don't bother changing.. Keeping it simple but effective.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Aug 21, 2014,