Page 1 of 2
Sorry, it's a thought I've been wrestling with regarding music

For 2 years I spent every day for the most part, attending local music scenes and talking with musicians in search of another person to collaborate with. I love to create music, love to write, and love to be around those with like interests.

But after 2 years, I hate to say it, but I keep feeling that even though most people say "I just wanna write music, I love music" they secretly think they are guitar/bass/drum gods and that they are on the verge of breaking into fame and fortune.

I know it's not the case with everyone, but I really am curious and want to ask people here if that is why they continue to play and hone their musical craft.

Do you secretly want to be famous? It's okay to say yes, I'm just interested.
How do you secretly want to be famous?

Sorry.

Not really. I prefer anonymity, really. I'm pretty shy. A little bit of recognition, like for being good for something, is ok, but that's not anything like the same thing as fame, either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would just like my music to be heard/liked and to be able to make a living from it (in a perfect world). I'm not one to want people talking about me all the time or 'fanboying' over me, I would be pretty uncomfortable with that.

I guess in terms of wanting fame, that would generally put me in that position where I'm well known enough to make enough money to buy nice things, but I would be the kind of guy to also appear in the comments section of a 'top 10 underrated guitarists' list as a "What about 'Linkno1'?" type comment.
Pretty much the kind where some people know me and acknowledge my talent, but I can still go to the shops for a pint of milk without being harassed by 'fans'.

I would hate to have the kind of fame big acts have where random guitar based sites take my interviews out of context to make me look like a bad guy every week, butcher one of my interviews to drag it out over the course of a month and generally annoy its users with daily updates about how my next album is going to be "faster and heavier". Let alone how I 'slammed' somebody in a quote that has been taken out of context to make a headline for an article.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Last edited by link no1 at Aug 16, 2014,
I would love it if one of my bands broke through and I could take up music full time. If we became famous along he way that would be fun too.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
No. Rich yes, fame never. It would be horrible, the more famous the worse.

I was known a bit for a sport I was in to, hated it. People whispering and wanting pics and autographs, like an invasion of your life, for me lucky it was only at events and nobody in the real world knew me. Imagine if you were Brad Pitt or something, even worse in this day and age when everyone has a video camera with them all the time
Last edited by Tempoe at Aug 16, 2014,
I have no musical composition ambition and just like to play the songs I listen to. But I have to admit...I've always thought playing in front of a sell-out crowd with every one of them knowing your song inside out has to be one of the coolest thing to do. Ever. Haha. Not unlike something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBbyc3t-Ctc

Yellow Ledbetter live is also pretty awesome.
Quote by Dave_Mc
How do you secretly want to be famous?

Sorry.

Haha, I was just referring to those that say "All I want to do is make music, I don't care if I get rich or famous." but then ***** out every opportunity they get to plaster their name on things, pass out flyers, plug their album, sign people's shirts, etc. Actions speak louder than words.

I think I feel the same as most here, I just want to make a living doing what I love. Maybe going to music venues wasn't the best way to find those with like interests though.

And come to think about it, I was wondering "...are any well known musicians like that make a living on music quietly and anonymously."? Because while I am sure there are, I've never heard of them. Then it just occurred to me that it might be that way on purpose.
Rich - hell yes.
Famous....I imagine that it would be pretty amazing to play a massive sell out stadium, and it would be fun to run into people that wrote you off when you weren't rich and famous, but otherwise - no it's not something I desire.
Si
Quote by Sakata93
And come to think about it, I was wondering "...are any well known musicians like that make a living on music quietly and anonymously."? Because while I am sure there are, I've never heard of them. Then it just occurred to me that it might be that way on purpose.

For a start you cannot be both anonymous and well known.

Most people who work in the music industry are not famous. From the music teacher down the street, to the big rock star's guitar tech to the guy who mastered the latest pop hit.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Being somewhat of an introvert, I would not get along with fame really well. In terms of making a living it could be nice, but I just wouldn't stand the invasion of privacy and all that jazz.

Quote by Sakata93
And come to think about it, I was wondering "...are any well known musicians like that make a living on music quietly and anonymously."?

I guess a lot of composers? I mean, from pop music producers to video game/movie composers. Some of them are well known, but not harassed as much. As a wannabe composer that would be ideal for me
Quote by link no1
I would be the kind of guy to also appear in the comments section of a 'top 10 underrated guitarists' list as a "What about 'Linkno1'?" type comment.
Pretty much the kind where some people know me and acknowledge my talent, but I can still go to the shops for a pint of milk without being harassed by 'fans'.

This is how I feel about it. I wouldn't enjoy being super famous at all, but I'd like to be recognized as a good musician, have a small but loyal fan base, and make a decent living doing what I love.
Yes and no.

I'd like nothing more than to be able to play music for a comfortable living, preferably one where I would never need a mortgage. One qualm I have, though (and a big one that is almost always a packaged deal with fame), is the lack of privacy. My privacy and personal space is very important to me, and I hate being enclosed in a place densely occupied by people. I'd also hate having to tour. As much as I'd like to travel, it just seems like loads of work.
I would enjoy being famous. It would be cool to make a living off of music, but even playing in small lounges would suffice for me.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
I want to be famous, but not for music, I'd prefer that to remain a personal hobby, too much to lose creatively, I wish to be famous for comedy and as an actor, kinda, i want to do stand up and start my own youtube series, but i don't have the balls. I also have aspirations for writing, but lolno
Quote by Velcro Man
I want to be famous, but not for music, I'd prefer that to remain a personal hobby, too much to lose creatively, I wish to be famous for comedy and as an actor, kinda, i want to do stand up and start my own youtube series, but i don't have the balls. I also have aspirations for writing, but lolno

If you don't pursue what you really want to do when you're older you might regret it. Go on ahead, and pursue comedy I think you can do it bro. I've heard some people say after a few first gigs you'll know whether or not it'll be for you (whatever you're pursing of course). So you might as well try it out you'll never know if it doesn't work out if you don't try.

Quote by Velcro Man

So...get into comedy open mic night at some of those clubs or something, man.
Quote by 20Tigers
Rich - hell yes.
Famous....I imagine that it would be pretty amazing to play a massive sell out stadium, and it would be fun to run into people that wrote you off when you weren't rich and famous, but otherwise - no it's not something I desire.

Yeah for me I think the negatives would outweigh the positives
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Would I like to be famous? You would get to see more boobies. So yes.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
i want to be famous but as a professional wrestler
Quote by Hail
i want to be famous but as a professional wrestler

Its a common theme, actually- professional wrestlers forced into rock stardom because there is no room for them in their chosen profession.

Doesnt mean you cant be the exception to the rule though, Hail. Keep the dream alive. You never know. You might make it.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Fame is horrible. Rich is good.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

I would like a bigger fan base and more income from my music, sure... but it seems like the amount of effort required for the tiniest gain in that area is not reasonable for someone who, like, already has a job that pays more than a non-famous musician is gonna make. So, no point.
There's different kinds of fame. There's being famous for being famous (Zsa Zsa Gabor, for instance, who invented the concept. More modern iterations would be Paris Hilton and the Kardashians).
And then there's fame that comes with recognition of doing something really well. Anthony Hopkins, Pearl Jam, Steve Jobs... I would love that kind of fame. It's the ultimate recognition of talent and hard work and perseverance. Sure, it would be great if it came from music. That kind of fame means playing to big crowds (good) who love the music you made (even better). And it also tends to come with a degree of wealth, and as a guy who has essentially started his own business in the past few years, never having to worry about money would be pretty goddam dandy.
As it is, I have a career to worry about, and probably couldn't take the steps to gain that kind of fame (which, in rock music, is one in a million, anyway. Literally). But the goal in my current career is a level of fame, anyway, which I've somewhat attained. And when someone randomly recognizes your name, it's a pretty great feeling.
Fame would be nice, I'd like to get up and perform in front of a sell-out audience, hell even as the non-famous bass player while the singer steals the show.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I'm a quite person. I'm usually alone or with 1-2 people max.

So no, I couldn't stand it.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
If it paid off well.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Not in this day and age. I'd rather be good at what I do rather than be famous. Being good at anything takes enough skill, persistence and energy yet alone worry about fame.
Naw, wealth and fame are highly overrated. Easy to say when you are neither.

I don't care for crowds much so in a room with more than 10 people I tend to introvert. On stage it is somehow easier to just do my music thing and then go off and be anonymous. I just like to make people smile while playing live music and if something I do inspires someone, that's cool too.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I would prefer to be the die hard favourite of some fewer number of people than super famous. I have no desire to be famous in any way shape or form, except I do desire to make money from music, and the side effect of that would be fame. So, I'd like to share my music with many people and for many people to like and enjoy my music, but I don't wish for fame and fortune per se. I just want to make music, and enjoy that with other people.
Nah, I just want to be a street musician without home, hitchiking around the world.
Weird dream, no?
I think there's a difference between fame and success. It's often that fame comes as a side project of success.

The majority of musicians who's primary objective is to be successful will take time learning their craft and producing a song or service such or engineering/mixing which puts them in demand. Whereas those who want to be famous will probably end up on the XFactor (or something along that line) to get in the public eye. That's my view anyway.

My goal is to be successful and to make a good living from music.
Quote by Sakata93
Sorry, it's a thought I've been wrestling with regarding music

For 2 years I spent every day for the most part, attending local music scenes and talking with musicians in search of another person to collaborate with. I love to create music, love to write, and love to be around those with like interests.

But after 2 years, I hate to say it, but I keep feeling that even though most people say "I just wanna write music, I love music" they secretly think they are guitar/bass/drum gods and that they are on the verge of breaking into fame and fortune.

I run into those guys a lot myself. They're a dime a dozen, and a lot of them are not as up to snuff as they should be and take things far more seriously than priorities require. Most of them are lead singer, rhythm guitarist, songwriters, and at some point think they are already famous, or that we are already rockstars even if there's no album, no gig, or even no actual band. The "hit-writers" are the worst.

Quote by Sakata93
I know it's not the case with everyone, but I really am curious and want to ask people here if that is why they continue to play and hone their musical craft.

Do you secretly want to be famous? It's okay to say yes, I'm just interested.

That's not why, the reason why I continue to hone my musical craft is because I enjoy just about every aspect of being a musician to at least some degree weather it's on a local level or not. I enjoy the problem solving, gear tinkering, writing songs, playing various instruments including the Guitar which is my primary of choice, and I love getting feedback from people who like my work. I love getting on a stage and performing weather it's to 2 people or 22 people or 222222 people (can't see em' anyway until I get off stage, I'm lost in my world).

That said, I do secretly, in a small way, like the idea of fame and fortune and the glory that goes with it, but I do understand that for every bit of good, you also pay a price.

I'd love to be in guitar magazines, chatting with my idols, tormenting my own generation when their kids buy my loud and crazy music, working with Fender to release a signature guitar, or playing so a sold out in-the-round stadium.

But, I also would not like dodging papparazi, learning that an idol of mine is an asshole in person, or the stress it could have on my life as a dedicated husband, getting beaten down for saying something stupid to the press, or having my mental bandwidth drained and having to pretend to be on my A-game all the time when I'm incapable of it out of exhaustion.

A lot of people think that with fame and money, your life would become easier, and I'm sure it does to an extent, but you also gain a lot more responsibility, and even some extra stress you would not have as a poor local musician. Would I be willing to take that on if it meant I was successful and that I could bring my music to a broader audience, yes I would! But just like any other human, regardless, you still have your good days and bad days. Understanding that keeps my one foot on the ground.

So in simple words, yes.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Last edited by Mad-Mike_J83 at Sep 5, 2014,
As much as I love music, the answer would be no.

I don't think people realize just how much of your "normal" life you have to give up in order to live that kind of lifestyle. Even some of the more well-known artists these days are constantly living on the road, away from families and loved ones, not enough time to live a normal life or a raise a family.

It's fun to play music every now and then, but playing it constantly and living on the road almost all the time would just be draining for me. These guys literally have no lives outside of their music unless they're insanely successful.
I wouldn't necessarily want to be famous but would rather have my work recognized. Success is the thing that ALL musicians dream of and fame is just a byproduct. Sometimes it's good and useful like for charity shows but I think that in time it would just get in the way of making music. Not to mention ruining your social life.

But then again it's not like everyone's privacy is suddenly taken away from them. The people who are too exposed in the media are also to blame if you know what I mean. Just play music and don't have any stupid scandals and sex tapes and you won't find your pictures in some shitty tabloid.
Quote by wheelz1045
As much as I love music, the answer would be no.

I don't think people realize just how much of your "normal" life you have to give up in order to live that kind of lifestyle. Even some of the more well-known artists these days are constantly living on the road, away from families and loved ones, not enough time to live a normal life or a raise a family.

It's fun to play music every now and then, but playing it constantly and living on the road almost all the time would just be draining for me. These guys literally have no lives outside of their music unless they're insanely successful.

This part I could definitely handle. Doing nothing but music is fine by me, and travelling the world constantly, experiencing new cities and new places is also great. What I would really dislike, would be that I wouldn't be able to just be a regular anonymous person walking around publicly. It would be tough to just go to a random restaurant, or just go to a crowded place, like a festival of sorts, or some sports thing. You'd probably have to spend a lot of effort, sort of smuggling yourself everywhere. Idk, I think that wouldn't be so awesome.

But travelling the world and making music, that's the good part, to me. If I could travel the world, be on the road a lot, make a good living, and make music every day, without anyone recognizing me anywhere that would be awesome.

Daft punk basically managed that, and that's so awesome to me. They are famous, but they are not really recognizable because they always hide their faces under helmets.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Sep 7, 2014,
Page 1 of 2