So, I've been looking to get a "new" guitar, specifically a Fender Standard Stratocaster. The specific guitar I'm looking at is priced at U.S. $299.99. It's in good condition overall, for being used. I was just wondering, is this cheap? Or is this around what they would normally go for?
If it's a Fender MIM standard stratocaster brand new I'd say go for it. They usually go for $450-$500 BRAND NEW from retailers. If it's a Squire/Bullet stratocaster which is a cheaper version made by Fender then I wouldn't mess with it.
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
I bought a MIM strat last December I think it was. Most of them were going for about that price, even mine which was a little bit beat up. But when I tried it I knew I had to have it! They had a few others, similar, including price, but something was not quite right with the others. Anyway. It seems normal to me. Which year is it?
I don't know for sure. If I had to take a guess, I'd probably say around 2006 or around then. But I do know that it's an MIM Fender, not a Squier or a Bullet. I just don't know a whole lot about Fenders in general.
Yeah, that's a good price for a used Mexican Standard, assuming it's in good condition. Are you positive that it's a Standard, and not one of the other Mexican-made lines, like the Blacktop? Blacktops are around the same price, so that wouldn't be an issue, but they have different pickups, and gloss-finished necks, which I'm personally not a fan of on a Strat. The satin finish of the Standard is much better feeling.

And yeah, current standard MAP price (the price just about every retailer sells at) for a Standard Strat brand new is $499, or $549 for one with a figured wood top and trans finish, rather than a solid color.
Last edited by the_bi99man at Aug 17, 2014,
[quote="the_bi99man Are you positive that it's a Standard, and not one of the other Mexican-made lines, like the Blacktop? .[/QUOTE"]

Well, it's a little late, seeing as I've already bought it, but yeah, it's SSS, no humbuckers whatsoever, unless there's an SSS Blacktop version. Either way, I'm loving it so far!
Na, all the Blacktop Strats have at least one humbucker. Very nice. The Mexican Standards are sweet. Happy new guitar day!

Also, if you want to know how old it is, the serial number will tell you. For 2000-2009, it should start with MZ, then a bunch of numbers. The first number after MZ is the year, 4 for 2004, 7 for 2007, etc. If the serial starts with MN, it's from the 90s, and the first number tells you the specific year the same way. If it starts with MX, it's more recent, MX10 for 2010, MX11 for 2011, MX12 and so on.
Last edited by the_bi99man at Aug 17, 2014,
Quote by the_bi99man
Yeah, that's a good price for a used Mexican Standard, assuming it's in good condition.

Actually even if it's a little banged up I think it's fair. When I got mine there were like 3 in the store, I played all 3 of them and that one was by far the better sounding of the three. Then I looked it all around and noticed some pretty big dings on the underside. My heart sank because I immediately thought "it's been dropped!! It's gonna break!! I liked that one". Then I thought "wait a minute, no it won't, it seems to be fine... I like it, I'll buy it". Took it home and took the pickguard off and cleaned it up real good and I love that thing now, it sound really, really good...
Quote by maddog61
Well, it's a little late, seeing as I've already bought it, but yeah, it's SSS, no humbuckers whatsoever, unless there's an SSS Blacktop version. Either way, I'm loving it so far!

What year is yours? Mine is 1997 I think or 99, can't remember. Aren't they awesome for the price??? Do you like the pickups? I love the neck pickup and the intermediate neck/middle position, but I'm not crazy about the bridge. Thinking about putting something else in, just not sure what. Was going to look at the SD site. Maybe hot rails? Post pictures!! Happy NGD!
Quote by OliveG
What year is yours? Mine is 1997 I think or 99, can't remember. Aren't they awesome for the price??? Do you like the pickups? I love the neck pickup and the intermediate neck/middle position, but I'm not crazy about the bridge. Thinking about putting something else in, just not sure what. Was going to look at the SD site. Maybe hot rails? Post pictures!! Happy NGD!

It's a 2004, and yes, they are wonderful! I had to set up the truss rod a little, but after that, it was great! Totally blows my PRS SE out of the water, especially the clean tones. I'll try and get some photos up later today.
Last edited by maddog61 at Aug 18, 2014,
The more I play it, the more I love it. Yes, the clean tones are awesome, and the slightly crunchy ones, and I can even get some pretty decent lead tones out of the bridge pickup. It's super comfortable, the neck feels very, very nice...

Mine needed some serious TLC when I got it. It was pretty cruddy, took the pickguard off and gave it a good cleaning (and changed the strings of course). I was amazed to see that somehow there was still some of that transparent plastic film under the knobs... nobody botherd to pick it out in like 15 years. ?? I didn't touch the truss rod but adjusted the action a little bit.

Frankly I'm surprised when I see some of the used guitars at Guitar Center. I guess they sometimes sit on a rack for a looong time so when you try them the strings are completely oxidized, they're dirty, it's kind of a shock when you try one. Mine are usually pretty spotless, strings always shiny, etc...