a buddy I know is selling his ibanez designed by EMG pickups. He has 2 bridge pickups. Selling for under $20 u.s. He has a PU-1814 and a PU-1647. Either worth picking up.... considering the price and the fact that my ibanez has stock pickups... that are not emg designed.
No, they're not worth getting.

If you're in the US check out GFS pickups. They're cheap, and fairly okay.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
No, they're not worth getting.

Seconded for not being worth it. I think that EMG's generally sound like shit as is, they have a terrible bass response and are pretty much only good for really lo-fi shitty metal tones. Invest in a DiMarzio or something if you really want a good sounding pickup.
Quote by AJSaw
Seconded for not being worth it. I think that EMG's generally sound like shit as is, they have a terrible bass response and are pretty much only good for really lo-fi shitty metal tones. Invest in a DiMarzio or something if you really want a good sounding pickup.

This.

I recommend a Super Distortion.
Quote by AJSaw

That's quite a lot of hate.
I hate the tones that Korn gets out of their Ibanez guitars and they both (as far as I know) use Dimarzio pickups. So that means Dimarzios are bad? No.
Also to add, Whitechapel's tones are quite horrifying IMHO and they use Dimarzios too.
I used EMGs for a long time and here's a recording of them:
https://soundcloud.com/officialdarkenedsky/sorrow-you-love-and-hate
MAybe has a terrible bass response and maybe I use a lo-fi shitty metal tone, but I can't hear it. I liked the sound I got with those.
Good sounding pickups are only good in the ear of the beholder.

However, TS, I wouldn't go for these pickups and I feel that you shouldn't either.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Aug 17, 2014,
Saying all EMG pickups are always bad and bad for everything is a really dumb generalisation, sorry. From the top of my head, Jeff Loomis and Stephen Carpenter (among many others) have been using them for ages and they hardly have a "shitty lo-fi metal tone", to say the least.

Although not sure about these in particular, better check some samples.
Quote by TheLiberation
Saying all EMG pickups are always bad and bad for everything is a really dumb generalisation, sorry. From the top of my head, Jeff Loomis and Stephen Carpenter (among many others) have been using them for ages and they hardly have a "shitty lo-fi metal tone", to say the least.

Although not sure about these in particular, better check some samples.

Loomis has always had what I'd consider a good tone.

However, there are lots of mediocre bands that do use EMG pickups mainly because they're easy to install and they have that certain sound to them. But well, trying to tell whether the bad sound is just the pickup or the whole thing, is just ridiculous.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Offworld92

LOL you're really selling them

I agree that the "designed by EMG" aren't worth getting
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by HellRunner420
a buddy I know is selling his ibanez designed by EMG pickups. He has 2 bridge pickups. Selling for under $20 u.s. He has a PU-1814 and a PU-1647. Either worth picking up....

No. "Designed by EMG" pickups are no more EMGs than "Designed by Duncan" pickups are Seymour Duncan pickups.
Essentially cheap pickups for offshore guitars notable for nothing more than the branding.

If you like real EMGs, get those.
Quote by dspellman
No. "Designed by EMG" pickups are no more EMGs than "Designed by Duncan" pickups are Seymour Duncan pickups.
Essentially cheap pickups for offshore guitars notable for nothing more than the branding.

If you like real EMGs, get those.

Agreed. "Designed by" is code for cheap crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
David Gilmour uses EMGs in his Red (?) Strat, and there are all kinds of jazz cats who use them, too.

Like anything else, some EMGs are good some aren't. If you know what you're doing, you can probably make the bad ones sound...well...better than anyone else can. And if you don't, you can make the good ones sound crappy.

But those?

Just consider "Designed by" as a big red warning label.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I've always got lots of compliments on my tone from my EMG equipped guitar. I think most of the complaints people have are operator error. You can't just dime the volume and tone and expect perfection, especially the tone knob.
But those are real EMG's (SA and 85), not "Designed by." No amount of tweaking will fix those piles of shit.

Yes, Danny, it's his red one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Also another note is that not all "designed by" pickups are bad. The "Duncan Designed" Blackout-like actives are really decent (and this is not just my opinion) for example. Maybe SD is better at making those than EMG, but I absolutely wouldn't throw all of them out of the window either. Often in cheaper level guitars these are some of the better pickups you can find and they can be surprisingly good.
Quote by TheLiberation
Also another note is that not all "designed by" pickups are bad. The "Duncan Designed" Blackout-like actives are really decent (and this is not just my opinion) for example. Maybe SD is better at making those than EMG, but I absolutely wouldn't throw all of them out of the window either. Often in cheaper level guitars these are some of the better pickups you can find and they can be surprisingly good.

I kinda liked my Designed by Duncan actives........until I put real Blackouts in that guitar

If looking used you can quite often find good deals on the real deal EMG's
I've never tried the Duncan Designed actives but the DD ones I have tried I didn't like. I just recently removed a DD P90 from a tele and replaced it with an actual Seymour Duncan P90 and the difference was night and day.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
EMGs get a lot of hate, but are great pickups for what they do. I don't get the hate.

Designed by EMG are probably as good as the EMG selects were years ago. Junk. They might still be better than stock Ibby p'ups though. Depends on the model.
Quote by Sakke
That's quite a lot of hate.
I hate the tones that Korn gets out of their Ibanez guitars and they both (as far as I know) use Dimarzio pickups. So that means Dimarzios are bad? No.
Also to add, Whitechapel's tones are quite horrifying IMHO and they use Dimarzios too.
I used EMGs for a long time and here's a recording of them:
https://soundcloud.com/officialdarkenedsky/sorrow-you-love-and-hate
MAybe has a terrible bass response and maybe I use a lo-fi shitty metal tone, but I can't hear it. I liked the sound I got with those.
Good sounding pickups are only good in the ear of the beholder.

However, TS, I wouldn't go for these pickups and I feel that you shouldn't either.

Fair enough. I just mean that EMG's might work well if you're doing straight metal, but DiMarzio's passives are excellent because I think they have a lot more clarity and feel more personal. Just my opinion.

But yeah, let's not talk about Whitechapel's guitar tone. Eugh.