My acoustic guitar (Ibanez Artwood AW40) recently started buzzing a lot near the 12th fret. Sustain in this area also dropped like crazy. As far as the intonation goes, I've noticed the octave at the 12th fret is a bit sharp. I've never really played with the truss rod, but I'm thinking that would be a neck adjustment problem? However I tried looking at the neck and i'm not seeing any bending. It might be worth mentioning that the guitar has a dual action truss rod and that the headstock broke 2 years ago, but was successfully repaired and solidified by a luthier, and i've everything worked fine until now. Any suggestions?
Ibanez SIX28FDBG
ESP EC-1000 Deluxe
Ibanez AGR73T
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez AW
Peavey Triple XXX
BOSS pedals : TU-3 -> CS-3 -> NS-2 -> RV-5
Last edited by sbesozzi at Aug 17, 2014,
There's not a whole lot you're going to do about the intonation. In fact, with the strings too low, the likely the best it's going to be.

You either have no relief or a slight back bend in the neck, or the soundboard is sunken slightly either in front of, or behind the bridge. (or both)

The sound board error can be a result of humidity that is too low.

If ne relief is the issue, you're going to adjust the truss rod slightly looser. Try loosening the truss 1/8 to 1/4 turn, and let the neck settle into the new adjustment for a few days, then check it again.

If the issue is the sound board sinking, you'll likely have to buy a humidifier, and/or shim under the saddle to raise the action.

If the guitar is under air conditioning, that can drop the humidity, and "shrink" the soundboard. In the winter. Likewise for the central heating during the winter.

This guide will explain all facets of acoustic guitar setup

http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html

"Neck relief" is explained on page 5.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 17, 2014,
Thanks man! Will try to give the neck some relief! If it doesn't work I guess I'll just live with the buzzing (which isn't that bad).
Ibanez SIX28FDBG
ESP EC-1000 Deluxe
Ibanez AGR73T
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez AW
Peavey Triple XXX
BOSS pedals : TU-3 -> CS-3 -> NS-2 -> RV-5
Quote by sbesozzi
Thanks man! Will try to give the neck some relief! If it doesn't work I guess I'll just live with the buzzing (which isn't that bad).
OK, I misspoke in my first post. You're actually going to have to TIGHTEN the truss rod slightly to put relief into the net. Sorry!
Quote by Captaincranky
OK, I misspoke in my first post. You're actually going to have to TIGHTEN the truss rod slightly to put relief into the net. Sorry!

Huh? I think you were right with your first post.
Quote by rohash
Huh? I think you were right with your first post.

I think we better switch to multiple choice

A: God bless us, whichever way puts relief in the neck. We are dealing with a two way truss rod.

B: I was right the first time.

C: Read the link I posted

D: None of the foregoing

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.