Hi,
I'm about to buy a Cort CEC5 nylon guitar with Fishman lsys Plus - Sonicore pickup electronics, and I'm wondering how well will it sound through my Boss GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor, or through a normal analog pedal like chorus reverb phaser or stuff like that. I would probably take my processor and go and try it out but the shop is pretty far from my city, so I want to ask here first before going. In my opinion it should should OK just like a normal acoustic electric steel string guitar plugged in a processor or a pedal... But this Cort has of course a piezo pickup because of the nylon string. I couldn't find anything about nylon guitars and pedals online (except a acoustic DI's, in which I'm not interested). To be precise, I'm asking about the sound of the guitar and the effects while running through a mixer for live performances..

Please shed some light on me about this, I will greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
Last edited by ssssmaster at Aug 17, 2014,
It will sound fine with chorus, reverb, and delay. Overdrive is pretty much a no-no.

In fact, R &G in concert were using a "Ravish Sitar" pedal! They play with nylon strings , that should embolden you.

Just stay away from distortion boosters, it's pretty much sacrilege.

I don't think it matters a whole heck of a lot that pedals be analog. In fact, quite the contrary. Digital effects are cleaner, and you're not going to be clipping the amp as you would with an electric.
Thanks for the response, so yea you think I should try it out at the shop? So the guitar's piezo pickup goes to the fishman preamp, and then to the boss gt-8 processor, then the mixer and then speakers.. So what I'm actually asking will it sound as good as the steel string acoustics with the processor (of course I wouldn't use a distortion or anything like that, just a simple chorus, phaser, reverb..)..
My other option is a Takamine EG260C (which is a steel string acoustic guitar), but I would really prefer a nylon string...
It won't sound as good as steel-string, it sounds different, you can't compare it. Two different beasts.
I agree with cranky, I would consider digital effects to be somewhat more effective for acoustic purposes.
TS. if you like nylon more than steel string, go for it.
Well, in a way, the ideal way to setup an acoustic would be through DI. GT-8, I am not sure how compatible it is to acoustic guitars. Zoom makes acoustic guitar multi-effects and electric guitar. Do not know if there is a compatibility problem with the sound, haven't tried.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by ssssmaster
Thanks for the response, so yea you think I should try it out at the shop? So the guitar's piezo pickup goes to the fishman preamp, and then to the boss gt-8 processor, then the mixer and then speakers.. So what I'm actually asking will it sound as good as the steel string acoustics with the processor (of course I wouldn't use a distortion or anything like that, just a simple chorus, phaser, reverb..)..
My other option is a Takamine EG260C (which is a steel string acoustic guitar), but I would really prefer a nylon string...

I agree with CC on this, very likely OK with ambiance effects, no good with clipping. But take it down the shop by all means and give it a try. - That's exactly what I do if I want to give a piece of gear a serious test. Or, conversely, take it home for a tryout if you are on friendly terms with the shop. But don't get beguiled into thinking that different is necessarily better - it is an easy trap to fall into.
Of course I know the steel string will sound different from the nylon, but in my acoustic band there is a small 3 element drum set, one guitar with a piezo that plays rhythm and this one would be a solo guitar, that's why I would use effects.. I know that it would sound best with a processor made for acoustic guitar but that's a bit much right now, and I was hoping I could make use of this Boss GT-8.. And after all if it's not going to sound good, Takamine it is then..
Quote by ssssmaster
Of course I know the steel string will sound different from the nylon, but in my acoustic band there is a small 3 element drum set, one guitar with a piezo that plays rhythm and this one would be a solo guitar, that's why I would use effects.. I know that it would sound best with a processor made for acoustic guitar but that's a bit much right now, and I was hoping I could make use of this Boss GT-8.. And after all if it's not going to sound good, Takamine it is then..

Even the Takamine might not sound good with the processor.
Go and try them out. Might work with your processor. A nylon over a piezo rhythm guitar sounds very nice indeed.
If you ask me which sound I like more. I couldn't tell. More the nylon sound for single notes and then steel string for strumming.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I've had some very good results playing my nylon string guitars through a multi-effects processor (I have an old Zoom 3000). You can (I would suggest modestly) tweak such effects as EQ, chorus, reverb and get some nice sounds. Try it.
Quote by Garthman
I've had some very good results playing my nylon string guitars through a multi-effects processor (I have an old Zoom 3000). You can (I would suggest modestly) tweak such effects as EQ, chorus, reverb and get some nice sounds. Try it.

What we are all suggesting is that the effects that would be useful on a digital stompbox are pretty much the same as those you would find built-in on most acoustic guitar amps.
This thread has sort of a comic aspect to it. Here's a Godin, "Multiac" (nylon strings synth access). Gee, I wonder if you'll be able to use it with effects?

And it's home page: http://www.godinguitars.com/godinmultnylonsap.htm

Carvin markets a nylon synth access guitar as well: http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/ns1
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 18, 2014,
Yea, Godin would be a fine choice
I'm goint to try it out on thursday and see if the results are better with a nylon string or a steel string (basic effects like delay and chorus)