This is an amp that I am thinking about buying. I would like to I know what y'all think about them. I have a Mexican Strat and love to play blues and classic rock. No metal or super distortion needed. I would not only use this for the bedroom, but also for playing in a contemporary youth band at the church. What are the pros and cons of this amp, and how does it compare to the others in its class?
what type of blues and classic rock? could you list some bands/guitar players? EDIT: if you have a rough budget too that'd help in case we want to suggest other alternatives.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Budget:$600
SRV Clapton BB King Zeppelin The Who Beatles and anything else not considered Punk or metal
Ok thanks. a BJ would probably work, with a few pedals.

depending on whether you need pristine cleans or not, 15 watts might be pushing it.

alternatives would be the hot rod deluxe and blues deluxe. traynor ycv20 (again the headroom problem), 40 and 50 are quite nice and might be under budget. peavey classic 30. kustom coupé if you can find one.

probably a bunch of other options I'm not thinking of, too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think 15w is fine... With mic and or PA I shouldn't even need all of its volume. I'm not playing in huge crowds or Insane drummers.
I use to own a blues junior. And we seek to play the same type of music.

I did not find the BJ to suit me very well the cleans were great a little too chimey at times but great none the less ( fender is known for there cleans).

And it was great for bedroom levels for clean stuff but I could never get a good classic rock crunch out of the amp without pissing people off.and even then the drive on the BJ was not where I wanted it to be.

What I have found is to get both a clean and a driven sound at decent volumes that don't piss everyone off is to look for a amp with 2 channels. Thats just a suggestion and personal preference.
Quote by Fret Frier
I think 15w is fine... With mic and or PA I shouldn't even need all of its volume. I'm not playing in huge crowds or Insane drummers.

no worries, you'll know better than me the exact volume level you need
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It'd work perfectly, with the addition of a nice OD.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Blues Jr. + TS9... perfect. A nice amp with big sound in a small package.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by tubetime86
It'd work perfectly, with the addition of a nice OD.

agreed.

like a jcm800.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That's a very nice amp, I recorded a fusion player and he was getting great sounds with that amp for cleans and for dirt he used Jekyll&Hyde.
Look into Crate Palomino which is a lower cost AC30 as an alternative.
Last edited by diabolical at Aug 19, 2014,
^ no worries, i was only joking about the jcm800

i don't think i've tried any pedals with the BJ. I think tubetime said a rat worked well with his (a rat works well with most things, in my experience ). might be a little too modern-sounding for what you want, but a killer pedal that covers loads of ground.

a higher gain overdrive or lower gain distortion pedal would likely be worth a look. fulltone OCD, one of the catalinbreads or wamplers or something like that. if it's not silly putting a very expensive pedal into a fairly cheap amp.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My blues junior takes pedals so good. even pedals that don't do much to my other amps work great on the blues junior. I can use a digitech black13 with good results with that amp for thrash tones
Quote by Dave_Mc

a higher gain overdrive or lower gain distortion pedal would likely be worth a look. fulltone OCD, one of the catalinbreads or wamplers or something like that. if it's not silly putting a very expensive pedal into a fairly cheap amp.

You don't have to go that expensive, overdrives can also be found under $100.
oh yeah absolutely. there are a fair few cheapo clones even of those pedals about (though not the catalinbreads or wamplers, i don't think).

that's probably a better plan, actually. normally i'm the one saying "you don't need to spend tons on pedals"
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
After further research I found at that it has one channel and does not have a standby switch... Is this a big deal?
Quote by Fret Frier
After further research I found at that it has one channel and does not have a standby switch... Is this a big deal?

standby switch- not really

one channel- no if you only want one channel, yeah if you want more.

i think you can footswitch the fat setting, but that's more like a bit of a boost i think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ no worries, i was only joking about the jcm800

i don't think i've tried any pedals with the BJ. I think tubetime said a rat worked well with his (a rat works well with most things, in my experience ). might be a little too modern-sounding for what you want, but a killer pedal that covers loads of ground.

The Rat is my favorite of the ODs I use with it. It can cover just about everything from blues to hard rock. I also have a Dist+ clone and a Timmy clone, but they're a bit underwhelming to me. Fuzzes work very well also, I use a muff clone and a fuzz face clone a lot too.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Fret Frier

1. It being single channel is the reason for needing an OD. That becomes 'channel two.'

2. Standby switches are not necessary. There is no practical drawback to not having one, at least that I've found. The tubes in my BJr are three years old and going strong.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Alright, I think this amp could work with the praise band I am playing in... Is the tweed worth the extra $$$?
Quote by Fret Frier
Alright, I think this amp could work with the praise band I am playing in... Is the tweed worth the extra $$$?

Tweed is just the covering and doesn't affect the sound. If you love the tweed, get the tweed. It has no value other than style points.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Quote by Fret Frier

I haven't tried one, and I love the look, but I can't imagine the Jensen in the NOS sounds any better than the Cannabis Rex I dropped in mine... And it comes out about the same, except I still have my stock speaker to throw back in should I sell the amp. I'd definitely keep the Cannabis Rex for a future amp. Amazing speaker.

Check this out though, it will walk you through the possibilities (or at least many of them) for speakers including the Cannabis Rex and the Jensen:

http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=295

Unless you really, really love the tweed look I'd say buy a speaker of your own choice instead.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Cajundaddy
Tweed is just the covering and doesn't affect the sound. If you love the tweed, get the tweed. It has no value other than style points.

Look again...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Ok sounds good, I plan on getting one used. Any precautions or questions I need to have when look at one? How much should I pay, and where would be a good place to buy?
When you go to buy used, play it for a good bit (at least fifteen minutes I'd say) and twiddle all the knobs... Including cranking it for a second. If you hear pops, hums, rattles or anything like that walk away. Other than that, just ask lots of questions and inspect for any signs of abuse. There's really not much to go wrong that shouldn't be apparent pretty easily.

You in the US? If so they're on craigslist constantly for $250 to $300, at least in my area.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Look again...

Cool enough, I did not know that!

Not a huge selection where I live...I have seen a few where I would have to drive a bit... Online a bad idea?
Quote by Fret Frier
Not a huge selection where I live...I have seen a few where I would have to drive a bit... Online a bad idea?

I wouldn't buy used online, but then again that's just me. With the protections ebay and paypal offer maybe it'd be safe. You'd have to decide for yourself. Shipping is damn pricey too.

Just FYI, those amps come with Chinese power tubes that suck. Putting JJ EL84s in made a pretty big improvement. You'll want spares anyway so when you get your amp buy a set and set the Chinese ones aside just in case. Preamp tubes can help too, but not as much as power tubes... But having spares of those isn't a bad idea either.

First thing we ask in a troubleshooting thread is 'have you tried your spare tubes?' If you say 'what spare tubes?' you'll catch hell.

Quote by Cajundaddy
Cool enough, I did not know that!

Ya they've done a couple with different speakers... But in my mind it's better to drop in exactly what you want. Way too many speakers out there to let Fender choose for me.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Ok thanks for all of your help. Lots to think about. I'm new to tube amps and can't wait to get my hands on one!
No problem, I'm happy to help.

The Blues Junior is pretty stellar for what it is. Nothing over the top, but it's great for the price and small package... It'll make a perfect first tube amp. Happy hunting!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
The Rat is my favorite of the ODs I use with it. It can cover just about everything from blues to hard rock. I also have a Dist+ clone and a Timmy clone, but they're a bit underwhelming to me. Fuzzes work very well also, I use a muff clone and a fuzz face clone a lot too.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Where I live, there is not a huge selection of used gear. CL only had one ad that was a blues junior and it looked like it was bad in shape. Are there any other options for getting it used?
"Sometimes you have to go insane, to out sane the sane"- Mortecai
Quote by Fret Frier
Where I live, there is not a huge selection of used gear. CL only had one ad that was a blues junior and it looked like it was bad in shape. Are there any other options for getting it used?

Major retailers have used gear all over and you can have used gear shipped to you or to one of its stores. Guitar Center does this but it doesn't give you much of an idea about the condition of the item. Try eBay, Reverb, and the likes, also.
Quote by Fret Frier

Go to the used section on the guitar center site. I think you have to pay for shipping but the prices are good and there's still a 30 day return policy.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Ok, so is 350 fair for a blues jr?
"Sometimes you have to go insane, to out sane the sane"- Mortecai