Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I'm currently playing in this band letterswv.bandcamp.com my current rig is a Washburn idol into a poly tune, a soul food, a flashback, then an egnater tweaker 40, which runs into a avatar 2x12 cab.

Basically I love this egnater, but, I find it lacking on dirty sounds, I play rhythm and just want that big junk. Every time I hit a sustained D I just want people to feel it. So basically my question is what amp would best get me there. I'm not the biggest fan of Marshalls. I feel their top end is too jangly. I like the dual recs okay. I like rockerverbs, but I've wanted one for so long that now I'm kind of disenchanted. So what do you guys suggest?

Also should I get a new amp or just keep this one and build a nice pedal board with the 1200?
If you're not satisfied with your amp, you indeed need a new amp, or possibly a new cab.

What speakers do you have in your cab anyway?
Is the cab oversized?
Is the cab's back open or closed?

For pop punk the first thing I'd think of is a DSL100.
Could it be that you feel like marshall's have a high end too sparkly because you've only heard JCM900's or Valvestate's or Mosfet Lead's with who knows what cabs and speakers?

Another idea might be a peavey xxx.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
@spambot
I don't like dsl100s last time I heard them they felt very thin and fragile.
My cab is not oversized, it is partial open back, and has a vintage 30 and a g12t-75. I love the cab a lot haha

I've never tried a xxx but I've never been a huge fan of peaveys. Isn't that mister satrianis old sig? I will have to check it out.

I like jcm800s, one of my favorite crunch tones, but I need smooth glassy clean abilities out of an amp too. I've tried a few marshalls, including the 900, but the 800 is the only one I vibe with. I think maybe I like American sounds more? I may be wrong.
If you like an 800 but want a clean tone I'd say a Laney VH100R or a JCM2000. I love my VH and you can actually get a decent used on pretty cheap, all you have to do more than likely is a retube.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
@thestig1214 don't lanes get kind of fizzy in higher gain? Just what I've heard, never played one.
No, they make lots of excellent amps that are designed pretty much for high gain.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Jsx,xxx,ultra+ would all be worth a look.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Well I can guarantee that a DSL100 sounds anything but thin with the right speakers and tubes. It has a great clean channel also

A closed back cab is what I suggest for what you want to play, you can just cut a new back panel to fit your cab very easy and pretty cheap.

If your in the USA, you can get a Mesa single/dual/tremoverb/rectoverb head for under your budget. DSL50/100 go for <$600 all the time. Splawn can be had used in your price range also. Mesa Mark IV/V will also work great

This is a DSL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aUultIb2pPc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ColeFleming
@thestig1214 don't lanes get kind of fizzy in higher gain? Just what I've heard, never played one.

Fizz? What fizz? My massive balls to the wall tone has no fizz.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
But then again, high gain =/= fizzy.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

For $1200, you can snag a nice, used Rockerverb 50, if not a 100 MK II, or a Thunderverb 50. If you like the big-sounding Mesa, you can score a Roadster, or a Tremoverb (very easily).

I like the Clean of the JSX and it also can sound big.
I've got one and they're great!

Rockerverb!
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

sounds like you need a closed back cab! thats where you'll find that "chunk"

also, don't shun off the marshall's completely yet...those are the go to amps for pop punk!
a JCM2000 DSL100 and a closed back orange cab would get you right where you want.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
Examples of pop punk you want to play? Are we talking 90s or like modern drop c pop pink ?
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Have you played a proper JCM2000 DSL? Or one of the new DSLs? They are not the same beast - the new ones pale in comparison stock.

If you like JCM800s, you should like JCM2000 DSLs. It can be dialed in almost exactly identically, but with a good clean channel as well.

That said, Rockerverbs are fantastic amps, if they work for you. I admire the idea of them quite a lot, and their cleans are just fantastic, though the gain didn't really work for me.

This is a little farther out there, and bear in mind I have no idea how much these are going for, but check out a Bogner Twin Jet. I think it'd do exactly what you want to do.

What don't you like about Rectifiers? A Tremoverb or Rectoverb should be perfect, just off your description. But of course, your ears know best.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by romeozdistress
Examples of pop punk you want to play? Are we talking 90s or like modern drop c pop pink ?

never heard any punk in drop C. the lowest I've ever heard them tune is D standard and that is Strung Out (not exactly pop-punk more of a Metalized punk)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Marshall JCM800 (used)
Peavey 6505+
Orange Rockerverb 50 (used) (My top recommendation)
Marshall JCM2000 (used)
Mesa Dual Rectifier (used)
EVH 5150 50 (used)
^ Punk and pop punk are not really similar in any way. And modern pop punk can indeed be Drop C or lower. I wanna say Paramore is (was?)?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
^ Punk and pop punk are not really similar in any way. And modern pop punk can indeed be Drop C or lower. I wanna say Paramore is (was?)?

OK, just never heard of any bands

but the only type of pop-punk I listen to is stuff on Fat Wreck Chords/Epitaph that I have since the 90's.

last band I consider a little bit pop-punk that I have heard and like is Pour Habit, actually I guess there isn't much pop in it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MeOElfoNEb4
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Never seen Paramore play Drop C before. ADTR are drop C and use dual rec's, A lot of the stuff my gf listens to is pop punk (she gets called pop punk princess a LOT) most of that is downtuned modern stuff.

Ive skimmed the latter half of this thread but my vote goes for a dual rec/rockerverb.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Are ADTR a pop punk band?
Quote by Offworld92
And modern pop punk can indeed be Drop C or lower. I wanna say Paramore is (was?)?
Drop C#.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
A day to remember and set your goals tube to drop c I'm pretty sure.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
There is Paramore in drop C#.

Get an old Recto.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Spambot_2
Drop C#.

I think so.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Hey guys I'm going to try to answer some more questions to offer some help. I like early to mid 2000s pop punk primarily, my favorite pop punk acts are old fall out boy, four year strong, old all time low, the wonder years, this time next year etc. However my favorite tones in pop punk are four year strong/all time low. Hands down the most powerful and large sounding ones.

I have only played through the newer 2000 and when I did it was too jangly and shrill sounding for me. But if I could hunt down an older one I would definitely try it.

The only thing I don't like about the rectos is how specific they are, they do that recto sound flawlessly, but cleans/mid gain is lacking which I use a lot. That's my same problem with 6505s

I'm going to drive the 3 hours to Columbus to check out some stuff at a guitar center in a couple weekends I guess. I really want an amp with great clean, and a huge drive sound. From there I can always add pedals to flavor, and as I do a lot of studio work, and have a rather diverse love for all music I would like a very versatile amp that I know will never disapoint.

Also if there is something that is end all beat all in the 1500-2000 dollar range, I can always spring for it, but I'd rather spend 1200.
Pretty sure ive read somewhere before that ATL used recto's. Fallout boy were recto's with something else.

Do you still have your 6505? Cause I got a pretty decent pop punk sound out of my 5150II on the crunch channel.

READ THIS ABOUT Dan O'Connor's gear.
http://www.guitarworld.com/dan-oconnor-four-year-strong-discusses-gear-and-recording-new-album-some-way-shape-or-form

ADTR are pop punk.

You have re-lighted my love for Four Years Strong though TS. I take my hat off to you.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Completely different than what I expected from dan... that's awesome though his tone is such a clean yet heavy tone. I wonder about those blacktop teles now, I need a new guitar, my main washburn is actually starting to fall in half, the wood is splitting right under the jack on it.

Nope the 6505 is long gone, I got out of metal a while back. Would a dual rec really be the way to go? That would truly be nicely under my budget so.... hmmm I just have no clue this is scary.
Quote by Spambot_2
Drop C#.

No, they are just fags

Yes any recto would work just fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 18, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
No, they are just fags

Im not gonna start a war about this BUT some pop punk bands are fags, ADTR aren't.

TS as for the blacktops, they are pretty nice to play, I swear by my tele for pop punk/rock. Granted its a bit different from a blacktop though.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
Im not gonna start a war about this BUT some pop punk bands are fags, ADTR aren't.

TS as for the blacktops, they are pretty nice to play, I swear by my tele for pop punk/rock. Granted its a bit different from a blacktop though.

Actually I think they are, and I have met and toured with them. Fags may have been the wrong word, Douche would be a better fit because they are not homosexual.

And I'm not starting a flame war, I was just being a smart ass
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hey what's up man! Just saw saw this thread. I am originally from Portsmouth, Ohio and have a few buddies over there still that play. My best friend Jeff plays in a punk/pop/cover/remake style band and has AMAZING tone. He plays the JCM2000 through a v30 loaded avatar 2x12 cab and his other guitarist plays the Rockverb through the orange 2x12. If you are interested in linking up with him he may be able to let you check it out so you don't have to go all the way to Columbus.
@surjer that would actually be unbelievably awesome! I would definitely love to do that, you think he would be okay with it?
^ And the problem is solved.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
On the topic of Rectos: There are a lot of different kinds of rectos. The 3 channel versions, and maybe even a regular 2 channel may well disappoint you.

Check out the Rectoverb (50W), the Tremoverb (100W), and the Roadster (100W). They have better clean channels than the standard Rectos.

You can also afford a used Road King II. It's quite a piece of kit, but it has a fantastic clean channel - it basically has a Lonestar built into it. It's a crazy amp.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
ADTR have used all of thee above haha. dual rec, rockerverb, and 6505.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
ATL used Egnaters at one point i do believe

Edit: the site says they use a Vengeance :http://www.egnateramps.com/EgnaterProducts/Vengeance/VengeanceSelector.html
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Page 1 of 2