I personally don't like the look of them much, but I'm wondering (not having one - yet!): if you remove it, what can you do with the screw holes??
Pretend they're a real problem and spend time and money filling them with epoxy and then paint-matching to cover it up?

Or you could ignore them because it's not a big deal and nobody is going to notice or care.
To some people, the look of what you're playing matters.

To others, well...

If it really bothers you, find someone who refinishes guitars. They'll not only close up the holes, they'll make them disappear.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Definitely not a big deal and yeah, some people care about how a guitar looks. :-D
Are you talking about a guitar you own and want to change, or are you contemplating a purchase?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Contemplating a purchase. Would probably not touch it but who knows... my guess is that the holes left behind would be too much of a pain to deal with and weird not to deal with. So...
Quote by dannyalcatraz

To others, well...

If it really bothers you, find someone who refinishes guitars. They'll not only close up the holes, they'll make them disappear.

What you talking aboot? Willie's got all kinds of carvings on the top of his guitar!
Quote by dannyalcatraz

To others, well...

I see your Willie Nelson and raise you one John Mayer.

Quote by OliveG
Contemplating a purchase. Would probably not touch it but who knows... my guess is that the holes left behind would be too much of a pain to deal with and weird not to deal with. So...

I ask because not all semihollow and hollowbodied archtops have pickguards. The vast majority, perhaps, but not all.

What are you looking at in particular?

Quote by chrismendiola
I see your Willie Nelson and raise you one John Mayer.

That just looks cool to me
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I ask because not all semihollow and hollowbodied archtops have pickguards. The vast majority, perhaps, but not all.

What are you looking at in particular?

Epiphone ES-335 Pro Limited Edition.

Granted one of the ignition coils on my car just died and the new one cost me $100 plus $100 diagnostic fee at the shop (which won't happen again, I'm getting a diagnostic tool for $20... ), so that Epiphone is started to fade in the distance...

Actually, a friend of mine has a Gibson ES-335 and a Gibson Les Paul he's not using because he's not playing guitar at all these days (young kids) so he offered to loan them to me. Who am I to say no? I'll put nice new strings on them.