Should I get a 50W head that sounds great for it's clean channel, or maybe only channel, with pedals to give me gain for a djent sound? I will have both with a noise gate, Or should I get a head that sounds great for metal by itself, like a 5150 or something with no pedals?

EDIT: Or if you just want to give me a head and cabinet great for djent etc. for less than $900 please do
Last edited by MantraStrategy at Aug 17, 2014,
Used 5150/6505/5150II/6505+

For cab, something simple like a used Mesa 212 will do.

Run your favorite OD in front and noise gate/suppressor in front/loop.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Never, I REPEAT NEVER, use pedals to get your overdrive sound. It should be based in your amp, then boosted with a pedal.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Never, I REPEAT NEVER, use pedals to get your overdrive sound. It should be based in your amp, then boosted with a pedal.

don't listen to this guy. if you like the sound of pedals better then use pedals.
i have a single channel amp and use a tube screamer and a metal zone, they sound great. im sure if you took a clean tone and threw a good distortion pedal and Misha mansoor's overdrive in front of it, it would sound djenty as fux
Last edited by moses132049 at Aug 17, 2014,
Quote by moses132049
don't listen to this guy. if you like the sound of pedals better then use pedals.
i have a single channel amp and use a tube screamer and a metal zone, they sound great. im sure if you took a clean tone and threw a good distortion pedal and Misha mansoor's overdrive in front of it, it would sound djenty as fux

Except it probably wouldn't. Just look at the rigs.

Periphery and Animals as Leaders- Both use the Axe FX but the base of the overdrive sound is a 5150 model. As does TesseracT I believe.

Monuments uses actual amps, the Laney Ironheart.

Twelve Foot Ninja uses HD500X (technically an amp model, not a pedal) with a Treadplate (aka a Dual Rectifier) model and no cab model.

Not saying a Metal Zone or other high gain solid state distortion pedals don't have their uses, but the sound the OP is going for is best accomplished by an actual amp's overdrive tone.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Aug 17, 2014,
Y..yeaaa. Just buy anything with Misha's name on it.

Instant Djent.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
Y..yeaaa. Just buy anything with Misha's name on it.

0nst0nt Dj0nt.

Fixed lol.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Save your money and find an amp that has versatility. I have a Dual Rectifier and I am perfectly content with the clean channel. I didn't have to sacrifice anything. Although for a djent sound, if you don't have an amp modeler you will need certain things like an EQ pedal and probably an OD pedal.
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
Quote by TheStig1214
Never, I REPEAT NEVER, use pedals to get your overdrive sound.

not true at all, if you ever have heard the smashing pumpkins amazing tone it is based on doing exactly that with a big muff.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Quote by 457undead
not true at all, if you ever have heard the smashing pumpkins amazing tone it is based on doing exactly that with a big muff.

Whereas that may be true, he doesn't want to sound like Smashing Pumpkins.

Good advice in this thread - see if you can get a used 6505/5150 and either an oversized or closed back 2x12 - you want your bass end to be pretty tight.

Also, if your budget allows, I second a noise gate in the loop and OD in front to push the amp - an MXR 10 band EQ would probably be very useful too.

Remember though, bands like Periphery, Monuments etc will be tracking an awful lot of guitar parts and using their studio wizardry to make it sound huge. So if you didn't already, don't expect to sound like that, with just an amp/pedals.

Or just Axe FX and download their patches?
Most people here will reccommend you get something like a 6505 or a 5150 (or any amp with a good drive sound) and a Tubescreamer-y overdrive pedal for a boost.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by TheStig1214
Except it probably wouldn't. Just look at the rigs.

Periphery and Animals as Leaders- Both use the Axe FX but the base of the overdrive sound is a 5150 model. As does TesseracT I believe.

Monuments uses actual amps, the Laney Ironheart.

Twelve Foot Ninja uses HD500X (technically an amp model, not a pedal) with a Treadplate (aka a Dual Rectifier) model and no cab model.

Not saying a Metal Zone or other high gain solid state distortion pedals don't have their uses, but the sound the OP is going for is best accomplished by an actual amp's overdrive tone.

"You should always use a real amp for distortion, here's a list of bands that don't use amps for their distortion."
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Neither. Get a POD HD Pro or a POD X3 Pro and a power amp. Go used, you should have a couple bills left over.

EDIT: Or a Line 6 HD147 or Vetta II.

HD147 - $350 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Used--Line-6-2008-HD147-300W--Chrome-Guitar-Amp-Head-110190877-i3808548.gc

Vetta II - $580 (rather pricey) http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-LINE-6-VETTA-II-AMP-HEAD-073013-109351449-i3302747.gc

POD X3 Pro - $375 (kinda pricey) http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Used-Line-6-Pod-X3-Pro-Audio-Interface-110281504-i3868071.gc

POD HD Pro - $500 (pricey) http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Used-Line-6-POD-HD-PRO-Effect-Processor-110420369-i3898138.gc

Gem Sound XPS 300 - $150 (no idea about these. 150W Bridged mono @ 8ohms http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gem-Sound-XPS-300-Power-Amplifier-107230773-i1444999.gc
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 18, 2014,