Hello,

I'm after a pretty specific kind of amplifier.

A single speaker amp, e.g 1x12, for portability purposes. However, it's got to be loud enough to gig with. So at least 30 watts tube, or 75, solid state.

Ideally, I'd like it to have three channels and independent EQs and reverb for all of them. And an effects loop.

Brand new would be preferable. I've had bad experiences with second had equipment in the past.

All this without breaking the bank. In fact, cheap as possible. Does such an amp exist for under £500?

Cheers.
I'd suggest the Carvin Nomad and it fits for everything but the three channel requirements.
Just two.
50W (EL84s). Shown below in faux tweed, but other colors of tolex are available. http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/NOMAD

$549 dollars. US.

I have the Belair, which is the 2x12 version (still pretty portable; see its specs). There are aftermarket mods available for these amps; google Hasserl Mods for more information. I have the Stage II Hasserl Mods on mine. Highly recommended.
I can't say anything will deliver all of that, but the Fender HRD would fit the bill quite well. I have one- it's rock-solid, sounds great (clean, not the dirt channel) and should be in your price range. The Carvin Nomad would too, but I bet it is more than £500 in the UK. Carvin isn't as good a deal over there as it is here.

I can't remember which it was, but when I bought my HRD, its stiffest competition came from a 30w (or so) Peavey and a similarly powerful Vox. I'd be surprised if you can't find a Vox that gives you most of what you want at within your budget.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 17, 2014,
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 17, 2014,
i think you're asking too much there if you're adamant it has to be new.

unless you're willing to chance a bugera.

EDIT: to clarify, i have no problem with new gear, in fact i prefer new gear too. But if what you want isn't available under budget (apart from bugera who don't have the best rep for QC, it must be said), you might have to either compromise on whether it has to be new, whether all those features are absolutely necessary, or on just biting the bullet and raising the budget.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 18, 2014,
Champagne taste on a beer budget.

Trying to find a viable 3ch tube amp new for less than $1k will probably result in really awful quality. If you need new, and you want lots of switching, consider a Digital Multi Effect "DME" pedal and powered wedge. Lots of flexibility, no tubes.

My Mesa has 3 chnl gain stages but I only ever use 2 so I don't see much value in it. Best value on a limited budget is usually a 1 chnl amp that just really sounds good. It's way better than a 3 chnl amp that sounds lousy.

Think Vox, Laney, Orange, Jet City in the UK and you won't be disappointed.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
If you can up your budget by £180 then i would suggest these:
Carvin v3m
http://www.soundunlimited.co.uk/products/carvin_v3m_amp_head?gclid=CMeHkYisncACFabLtAod5VsAMQ
and a Harley benton 1x12 V30 cab
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112vintage.htm

Total: £678

Ok so its not a combo but it covers everything you need and will be ever so slightly more portable than a combo as you can split them up.

The v3m is a great amp and i have heard nothing but good things about the harley benton cabs (for the price)
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Last edited by loki_lulamen at Aug 18, 2014,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Best value on a limited budget is usually a 1 chnl amp that just really sounds good. It's way better than a 3 chnl amp that sounds lousy.

Think Vox, Laney, Orange, Jet City in the UK and you won't be disappointed.

Yeah. Even 2 channel amps are available within his budget (Ok, so the jet cities are more like one channel with a switchable extra gain stage and where each channel has independent volume and gain controls, but shared EQ, but still, near enough), and using an od pedal as a boost can make them pseudo-3 channel (actually pseudo-4 channel if you also use the pedal on the clean channel).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What kin do fmusic are you playing? You mention 75 watt solid state is a choice. The Line 6 SPider IV 75 with an FBV Express pedal would meet your budget an dothe rrequirements. A lot of peole disparage L6, but unless you are doing heavy metal or need 'genuine tube warmth' it might be a choice for you.
My reverbnation page

2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73 Epi 6830E
72 Fender Telecaster
Epi Dot Studio
Epi LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e uke
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
If you wanna go modeller:

Vypyr tube 60

Tube power section, modeller in the front and a 1x12 combo.

About £330 ish as well
However you might be hard pressed to find a new one though.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Just so you know, an amp with everything in it you want will not be super portable. Just a heads up, even in a 1x12 format, you can't just pick them up and swing your arms with them, they're not lunchboxes or anything like that. They have a good bit of heft (think 40-50 lbs, and that is very much on the light end).

Another thing is that I don't think you're going to get that new for 550. A big reason why being that there simply aren't many amps with everything you want period, let alone out in circulation right now.

My first thought was a Peavey XXX, used. They come in 1x12 and 2x12 formats, but now I'm not sure if the 1x12s have 3 separate EQs. The 2x12s do for sure.

I'm not sure what else to rec. Maybe an Engl Thunder? I don't know anything about their combos/cheaper amps. You might be best off with a modeling amp, like someone mentioned. They are lighter by their nature, and have virtually unlimited channels.

Ideally, check out the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. If it absolutely must be new, check out the Peavey Vypyr VIP-3. Again keeping in mind that it's not a featherweight or anything. Also remember that you'll need a Sanpera to control it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by rythmking24
Hello,

I'm after a pretty specific kind of amplifier.

A single speaker amp, e.g 1x12, for portability purposes. However, it's got to be loud enough to gig with. So at least 30 watts tube, or 75, solid state.

Ideally, I'd like it to have three channels and independent EQs and reverb for all of them. And an effects loop.

Brand new would be preferable. I've had bad experiences with second had equipment in the past.

All this without breaking the bank. In fact, cheap as possible. Does such an amp exist for under £500?

Cheers.

One thing being overlooked here is that you can't physically fit all the separate EQ & reverb pots & wiring for 3 channels onto a 1X12 combo chassis. There's simply not enough space. I discussed this at length with Mike Soldano when he built my 1X12 mini SLO combo for me (single channel). He had to remove the reverb to put in the extra gain stages needed (Astroverb chassis). He said that even putting reverb in there would be such a pain in the ass that it'd cost an additional $600 or something because he'd have to move a lot of shit around. I don't see how you could possibly fit it all in, unless you get some super double-decker custom thing which would be outrageously expensive.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
^ That's a good point. the screamer has 4 channels (though realistically it's more like 2 channels with 2 different gain levels... maybe even more realistically like one channel with 4 different settings ) but it has shared EQ across the whole thing. And as offworld rightly said, if you're trying to keep the weight down etc. you're already pushing things without wanting tons of extra features.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry for the delayed response. Been visiting relatives. But yeah, thanks for all the advice/ information. People have rightly pointed out that I'm not likely to find a 1x12 with my desired specifications. So I'll have to re evaluate. And in doing so, I'll take into consideration all the suggested alternatives. Much appreciated guys
No worries. Let us know what you decide on, or if you have any other questions.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?