I've been using the USB output on my Fender mustang so that I can record some somes and riffs, but - as you can probably guess- the tone isn't there, it sounds very low quality and there's a lot of noise.

I'm thinking about picking up a used USB interface so that i can plug a XLR cable from the RedBox DI built thats into my H&K TubeMeister 5 into the interface and then into Reaper.

this would solve my issues with the Mustangs USB out and give me a *hypothetically* Professional sound that i could use for demos and eventually an EP.

Am I correct in my thinking? is there anything else i would need? any suggestions for an interface? i'm thinking something like a M-Track Pro or a 2i4.

B
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Define what you mean by professional sound in this case? Will it make you sound like Andy Sneap? No.

Will it sound better? probably.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
You'd be better off getting an interface alone and use an amp sim if ya ask me, so you wouldn't be limited by the sounds you amp can achieve, which while not that bad are not stellar either.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Does the USB port have a cab (speaker) simulator 'built in'? If not, you might want to try that. If the tone sounds too dry, has too much high-end etc. the USB is probably sending the amp's direct (wet) signal to your computer, which means that you'll have to use a cab impulse in order to make it at least sound better (don't expect professional results all of a sudden, as the person two posts above me said as well).
IF you like the sound that comes out of your amp's speaker(s), then get an interface and a decent instrument mic. If you don't like the sound coming out of yoru amp, then DI straight into an interface and then use a sim.
My reverbnation page

2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73 Epi 6830E
72 Fender Telecaster
Epi Dot Studio
Epi LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e uke
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Quote by MikeBmusic
IF you like the sound that comes out of your amp's speaker(s), then get an interface and a decent instrument mic. If you don't like the sound coming out of yoru amp, then DI straight into an interface and then use a sim.

This. A Shure SM57 or an Audix i5 placed around the speaker can give you difference and better tones than the emulated out on your amp.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Ideally you will want to record both a dry signal and a mic'd signal. If you only have the budget for one I would record dry and do all your processing itb.

Mic'd is great, but if later you decide you don't like the tone you can easily fix it. Also, if you have a nearly perfect solo and biff a single note you can easily fix that with a dry signal i, if you only have a mic'd version that will not work as well.

Another plus about a dry signal is that you can always send it back out through your amp and record a mic'd version that way.

This will give you the most control of you tone and editing.