So, I'm a huge fan of how ernie ball regular slinky strings sound... for the first week. Can you guys recommend me any bass strings that sound bright and twangy (or however you want to describe them) just like ernie ball strings, except they last longer? I hate how they go dead so fast.

Thanks!
Circle K/Kalium Strings are my go to, they last forever and are available in tons of gauges.
Bassist/Vocalist-Visceral Violation
Mesa-Boogie Big Block 750/SWR Megoliath
Warwick Corvette
I have never liked the Ernie Ball sound, but really, if you're looking for brightness, go for something steel (not nickel wound) - like Rotosound Swing 66's.

I've been thinking of swapping mine out for a set of D'Addario Pro Steels, as they sound great on Youtube demos, but I'm a bit unsure on the price.
If you like the sound of the EBs new, I would recommend Roto 66s. They cost more but they last much longer. If you are living in the UK, I'd recommend Stadium Elites. You can order them to be shipped to the States as well, but it can take a few weeks.
The strings I use are D'addario Prosteels. They give a brighter tone and (in my opinion) a bit more output than nickel strings. They are a bit expensive, but I prefer them over nickel.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
Quote by anarkee
If you like the sound of the EBs new, I would recommend Roto 66s. They cost more but they last much longer. If you are living in the UK, I'd recommend Stadium Elites. You can order them to be shipped to the States as well, but it can take a few weeks.

If you're living in the UK anyway, Rotosound are a great option because they're pretty cheap over here. Just don't buy the Swing branded ones (with the silk-coated ends) - you can get the same strings cheaper without the silk and it doesn't really affect anything.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Last edited by Ziphoblat at Aug 18, 2014,
I thought I read the sticky and it said that rotos were super-bright?

I went with d'addario since amazon had a deal on them.

they sound pretty good. from within the packet.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Spaz91
Ernie Ball strings are hella crap. If you want a long lasting sound then consider investing in some high quality coated strings like DR Dragonskins.

Just don't get DR Neons or coloured strings like the Black Beauties. If you play with a pick, they look/sound like shit in no time.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
I've never had enrie ball strings on but the brightest I've found so far are warwick red label. Brighter than the fender and d'addario 40-100 steel roundwounds I've tried, however they are incredibly lacking in the harmonics department. I was surprised how much of a difference that made. If they didn't have that problem, they would be perfect for me.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
It's too difficult, or else play the game.vipgw2gold.com as the most reputable Guild Wars Gold supplier in world,is specialized in providing you cheapest Guild Wars 2 Gold with the best service.If you need to buy Guild Wars 2 Gold,just take a look here GW2 Gold,you will take fancy with this site all along.
thank you for averse. MICHAEL DOSS ,My favor is six bass string D'addario's
All strings sound a bit bright and twangy when they are new. Yes, there are some differences but pretty much all brand new roundwounds will sound like brand new roundwounds. I think you just have to try a bunch of strings and that way you'll find the ones that you prefer.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I tried out this set of round wound slap bass strings by Dunlop and I think they had that twangy, bright sound you're after. They lasted quite a while and were quite cheap too!
Last edited by ThatWogBoy at Sep 14, 2014,
It might be due to aggressive playing or pickstyle but Elixirs have a horrible tendency to start flaking which looks and feels rather nasty. The best coated strings, or so I've heard, are DR Dragonskins; I'll be trying them out next time it comes to restringing because I liked their other coated strings.

Best way to get long lasting strings is to learn to love flatwounds.
Quote by Spaz91
It might be due to aggressive playing or pickstyle but Elixirs have a horrible tendency to start flaking which looks and feels rather nasty. The best coated strings, or so I've heard, are DR Dragonskins; I'll be trying them out next time it comes to restringing because I liked their other coated strings.

Best way to get long lasting strings is to learn to love flatwounds.

Dont really like the tone of flatwounds....I like the metally Geddy Lee/Billy Gould esque sound.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Nakedstrings.com

Seriously, you can get the same gauges as the strings you like and get 3 pairs for the same cost as one in most stores.

They last a good amount of time too.
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists