Hi! I'm new to the community and some feedback would be nice
Thanks for listening, guys.

So its a Prog Rock/Metal song with heavy djenty influences.
My gear is a PRS torero 24 going into a Zoom G5 diretly into cubase 6
Nice and simple

https://soundcloud.com/isa-cw/el-arsonista-1
Last edited by isaimeph at Aug 18, 2014,
Impressive!

But your playing is a bit sloppy sometimes. I don't know if that's your intention?
Like 0:11 - 0:18. and the break at 1:16 is a good example.
(love the synths and piano that come after that part!)

But you program your drums and also your bass? Because if you program them 100% on the grid it may sound less lively and if you play a bit sloppy you notice it more.

And I think the ending is very sudden. It feels to me that you haven't "said" everything completely. It feels like it's not a full composition though some parts and transitions go really well. But sometimes it looks like you just put some riffs together that are in the same tempo and feel. You know what I mean?

And to nitpick, at the end: let your crash fade out completely or draw a curve to let it fade out.
Thanks for the feedback! I love objective ones
And yeah, i know what you mean by the sloopyness sometimes, like in the chorus and a bit on the Synth and piano part the rythims are not 100% on time.

And nop, i program my drums and bass is not a music sheet like style then i just export it as a midi to Cubase.
Does it feel very sudden? I was going for a sudden ending but i guess its too sudden because the track is kinda short
And i guess i know what you mean about putting some riffs together just for the sake of it.
Like at 1:55 and 2:27
I'll admit those were riffs that when i was stuck on the section before them, it was kinda annoying so i just made them to get out of them, i know they dont transition really well into them but its something i'll definetly work on when i get back to this song (:
I too feel like its an uncomplet track and OH MY! Haha i just notice i didnt let the crash fade out complety ha! Sorry, looking like a total noob out here.
Last edited by isaimeph at Aug 18, 2014,
I don't think a drummer can play those ghost notes at around 0:20 and keep a groove on the kick and hitting the tempo on the hi-hat, but I've seen drummers doing crazy stuff these days, maybe a huge expert on one handed rolls could nail this part with "ease".

About the sloppiness, other than the part at around 0:15 I would let everything as it is, the rest is not noticeable unless you play close attention. A little sloppiness makes the song more lively, too perfect and it gets robotic and lifeless.

Production-wise the song is amazing, but I didn't like the way you panned the guitars at around 1:35 and 2:17, it makes the right side sound fuller. Other than that I can't find anything I didn't like about it.

I think the song is well arranged, don't think there are too weird transitions or anything like that. I really thought there would be something after that last part, though, the song kind of said that to me.

The song is amazing, just redo, or maybe edit, that part at around 0:15 and see what you can do about that ending and you're done.

Keep up the good work!
I'm kind of an "old-school" prog guy and I don't usually like djent but I love your song. It's technical without sounding "pretentious" (I hate that word), it has emotion and texture and it's well produced. Nice guitar sound as well; it's tight and you can hear the notes well. It's like The Mars Volta gone djent. The ending wasn't sudden to me at all. Once the last symbal is fixed it should be just fine

Cheers for fellow PRS user!
Quote by mp8andrade
I don't think a drummer can play those ghost notes at around 0:20 and keep a groove on the kick and hitting the tempo on the hi-hat, but I've seen drummers doing crazy stuff these days, maybe a huge expert on one handed rolls could nail this part with "ease".

About the sloppiness, other than the part at around 0:15 I would let everything as it is, the rest is not noticeable unless you play close attention. A little sloppiness makes the song more lively, too perfect and it gets robotic and lifeless.

Production-wise the song is amazing, but I didn't like the way you panned the guitars at around 1:35 and 2:17, it makes the right side sound fuller. Other than that I can't find anything I didn't like about it.

I think the song is well arranged, don't think there are too weird transitions or anything like that. I really thought there would be something after that last part, though, the song kind of said that to me.

The song is amazing, just redo, or maybe edit, that part at around 0:15 and see what you can do about that ending and you're done.

Keep up the good work!

Got it! Tho i cant seem to hear the sloppy part around :15
Would you point it out to me where exactly haha cant seem to heart it x.x
and you're right that part makes the right panned guitar to sound louder too
Thanks for the feedback, man!
I'll definetly may redo it this weekend, it kinda feels like an unfinished proyect when i heard it sometimes.
Quote by Akkeli
I'm kind of an "old-school" prog guy and I don't usually like djent but I love your song. It's technical without sounding "pretentious" (I hate that word), it has emotion and texture and it's well produced. Nice guitar sound as well; it's tight and you can hear the notes well. It's like The Mars Volta gone djent. The ending wasn't sudden to me at all. Once the last symbal is fixed it should be just fine

Cheers for fellow PRS user!

Thanks! This is a new thing haha most old school prog guys as soon as i tell them its in the "New wave" prog scene they just roll eyes without hearing Mostly my old guitar teachers at uni haha
Thanks! The guitar tone is a patch i made. You would be surprised if you knew how distortion-less the tone is, tho, in the mix sounds kinda heavy haha

Also. Hail PRS. Haha my newest guitar and def the best one in my set
Last edited by isaimeph at Aug 21, 2014,
Quote by isaimeph
Got it! Tho i cant seem to hear the sloppy part around :15
Would you point it out to me where exactly haha cant seem to heart it x.x
and you're right that part makes the right panned guitar to sound louder too
Thanks for the feedback, man!
I'll definetly may redo it this weekend, it kinda feels like an unfinished proyect when i heard it sometimes.

If you listen very carefully you can hear the left guitar going a little bit out of time when you throw the small lead in. By itself it wouldn't be a problem but since it's double tracked you can kind of feel there's something different in the left side and it's pretty distracting. I'd say it's at around 0:15:100 lol. But you know, I may be hearing things
Is this better, guys?

https://soundcloud.com/isa-cw/el-arsonista-20/s-hl8QG

I made something with the sudden ending too and a bit extras here and there. Added a djenty good 15 secodns before last chorus too. Im so sorry if this mix is worse than the first one. Sadly i made the mistake of getting a puppy and he chewed my sennheiser headphones so i cant really hear my mix outside my speakers haha
I think you got it now. The mix is indeed worse than the first one, but I'm sure you'll get it right latter.
Damn dude. This is some really cool stuff. I can't help but think of AAL while listening to this track, but that's definitely a good thing and quite an accomplishment.

Your tone is great too. Nice and bright, not too much distortion. Every note rings out and has clarity. I really have no gripes. Keep writing music dude!
Quote by moostifur
Damn dude. This is some really cool stuff. I can't help but think of AAL while listening to this track, but that's definitely a good thing and quite an accomplishment.

Your tone is great too. Nice and bright, not too much distortion. Every note rings out and has clarity. I really have no gripes. Keep writing music dude!

AAL is my biggest influence in the instrumental parts Tho, my playing is nothing like Tosin's haha!
Yup, theres just a little distortion and an overdrive pedal without any gain just to give it an extra punch (:
Thanks!
Also, if some of you wanna record some vocals on top of this let me know! I'm definetly interested in vocals ontop of this (: