Hi all. After putting it off for years, I'm finally going to start modding my first guitar, a Squier Affinity Strat. As much as I love this guitar, it has several issues at the moment that prevent it from being in my regular playing rotation, and I hope to remedy that.

At the moment, the only sure-fire upgrades are coming in the form of a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge position and the addition of 500k pots. However, I know next to nothing about tuners and single coil pickups, and that's why I'm here.

So UG, what are some nice, stable tuners for a strat? And are there any neck/middle single coil pickups that can give me a nice, ska-reggae type clean tone why also giving a nice fat distortion sound? All help is greatly appreciated!

Also, for those that are curious, this is the guitar in question:

are you going for a full size JB or a single size one? if the full size one make sure the guitar is routed for it.

i dont know a huge amount about singles either but i world recommend an RW/RP (reverse wound Reverse polarity) for the middle
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Quote by loki_lulamen
are you going for a full size JB or a single size one? if the full size one make sure the guitar is routed for it.

i dont know a huge amount about singles either but i world recommend an RW/RP (reverse wound Reverse polarity) for the middle

Hey man, thanks for the reply.

I'm going for a full sized JB; thankfully the body is already routed for that. And I'll definitely start looking at those types of pick ups. Any ideas for quality tuners to throw on it?
Quote by Explorerbuilder
a 500 K pot with a JB might be way too harsh and bright. They are already insanely bright and trebbly.

Interesting you should think that, because I removed a JB after a couple of weeks because I thought it sounded like mud, and replaced it with an SD Jazz. But this was through a warm amp, a Blues Deluxe. I might think better of them through a bright amp like my current one.

jacob, if you're going to HSS, it is a good opportunity to get a flashy new pickguard.

I don't know too much about strat SCs, but I play mostly clean, and I'm very picky about string-to-string balance. So I would either get ones with a modern stagger, that is, a high 3rd string pole, or be prepared to adjust the pole heights to suit (on plastic bobbins only), which is what I do.
Don't go for a JB; I did exactly the same thing and it sounds extremely bright. Only really suitable for certain types of metal in a strat. Think Iron Maiden.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
a 500 K pot with a JB might be way too harsh and bright. They are already insanely bright and trebbly.

Hm. I was under the impression that a 500K's were pretty much necessary when using humbuckers.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Don't go for a JB; I did exactly the same thing and it sounds extremely bright. Only really suitable for certain types of metal in a strat. Think Iron Maiden.

Well I'm going with the JB since I play a lot of punk rock and pop punk, and from my research I found that JB provides a lot of great crunch without needing a ton of gain from the amp and without breaking up cleans (like say, a SD Invader). Not to mention that most of my favorite guitar tones come from guitars equipped with the JB. I'll definitely look around though for anything else that might be better suited.
Alright, after poking around online I've found out that the JB is actually supposed to be paired with a 250k pot, so I'll be doing that as to avoid getting excess treble in my tone. Apparently it also helps with the pickup cleaning up/sounding clearer with gain, so that's a big plus.

Would it be best to go with 250k tone pots here?
I have a 250k pot with mine. It's still extremely bright. It's a great pickup (as I said, I have it myself) but it will turn the bridge position of your strat into a bit of a one trick pony. The clean sound in the bridge is, for me, unbearably ice-picky and borderline unusable. Also, if you keep the other pups stock, there will be a SIGNIFICANT difference in volume between pickup positions. The bridge will be overwhelmingly louder than the others, to the point where switching pickups in a live situation is very awkward. I ended up having to replace the neck pickup too (I never use the middle one).

Strats have a very unusual and unique sound, as I'm sure you know. You have to be pretty careful selecting pickups for them. I regret that I wasn't.
Last edited by Pagan-Pie at Aug 22, 2014,
Just a simple suggestion regarding tuners - removing the middle string tree (D and G strings) actually improved tuning response and (surprisingly) stability a good bit for me.

Hope this helps!
You'll probably be better off with something like a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates or a 59 than a JB. Very trebly and harsh pickup, even with 250k pots.

If tuning stability is a problem, replacing the nut with a TUSQ one and the string trees with roller string trees often makes a huge difference and they're easy and very cheap to change. The bridge itself can also be a problem, but changing it quickly gets expensive. In cases of cheap 6 screw vibratos like yours, it's best just to block them.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 25, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

If tuning stability is a problem, replacing the nut with a TUSQ one and the string trees with roller string trees often makes a huge difference and they're easy and very cheap to change. The bridge itself can also be a problem, but changing it quickly gets expensive. In cases of cheap 6 screw vibratos like yours, it's best just to block them.

Yup yup. Already have the bridge locked down pretty well.