I definitely should have asked before I did this, but oh well too late

I bought an signaflex a/b pedal and a y-cable to flip between two chains of effects pedals that meet back up and go into the same amp. I thought it was reasonable that there might be a little added hum or buzz from this, but there's a noticeable volume drop and tone change, depending which pedals are on.

The first chain is an AMT E1 into an EQ pedal and the second chain is a Joyo AC Tone into a Mooer Shimverb. The most noticeable difference comes when the Shimverb is on and I'm using the other chain with the AMT E1. It basically sounds like I turned the tone knob on my guitar to 0 and cranked the bass on the amp. When the pedals in the unused chain are flipped off, there really isn't any tone difference but the volume drop is still there.

Is this a product of me using a cheap pedal and cable, or is this what's expected in a set up like this? Should I get a two channel FX loop pedal thingy?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
How do they meet back up and go to the amp? Are you just tying the outputs together? That may be your problem. The output of the inactive chain may be loading down the output of the active chain. Not really a good idea to mix two outputs by shorting them.
That exactly is
Quote by tas38
what's expected in a set up like this

Bridging pedals' outputs with the Y cable you're trying to load the output of the inactive part of the chain with the output of the active part of the chain, resulting is a hell of a signal loss and a high frequency content loss.

Either place the Y cable at the beginning of the chain to split the signal or get a stereo to mono summing box.
Or make one yourself, it's hella simple.

Also read this if you wanna know a bit more - http://www.rane.com/note109.html
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Thanks so much guys I'll try putting the y-cable at the beginning with the a/b at the end. If that doesn't work, I'll look at the more sophisticated options.
Well this works very well with one exception. The y-cable adds a bit of noise to the signal. I've tried several different combinations and I'm 100% sure the noise is coming from the y-cable.