Hey guys. Had a question about some geetar amplifiers. I really love the sounds of the evh 5150iii 50 watt head but its a lot of money. I have heard that the Randall Diavlo 45 watt head is similar and is much less money. Should i drop money on the Randall now or save my money and go for the EVH? Thanks!
I dont know much about the randall
however the EVH is an absolutely killer amp. i have never heard a bad tone out of it.

I am in the process of saving for one atm

Edit: After just watching a couple of videos of the Diavlo on youtube (dont hate me!) it looks like it had nowhere near the amount of gain that the EVH has. Sounds a little thin even in a mix. dunno whether it was the recordings/demos/players etc but the EVH seems to be a far superior amp.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Last edited by loki_lulamen at Aug 18, 2014,
I felt the same way after watching some demos. Im really not sure i want to drop 500 dollars extra on the EVH but from the videos i feel it might be worth it
And i know videos are nothing to go by but they are all thats available at the moment
While the Diavlo is an excellent amp for the price, the EVH is a higher tier of amp, and IMO has the EVH on all fronts.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
While I've never tried that particular Randall, I've only heard a handful of amps that can keep up with a 5150 III. They are seriously badass. I actually owned one for a year, & only sold it because I have 2 other similar sounding rigs. I regret selling it, but it was HUGE & heavy too. My next amp purchase will definitely be a 50W 5150 III. BTW- the white ones sound better
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Haven't played the Randall, but the EVH is a nice amp. I wasn't quite as wow'd with the 50w version as I was the first time I played the 100w, but for $1000 it's pretty hard to beat. Just use a 15% off code and pick it up for $850 new

Quote by riffhog
BTW- the white ones sound better

This is a 100% true statement.

Black EVHs are for chumps
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Haven't played the Randall, but the EVH is a nice amp. I wasn't quite as wow'd with the 50w version as I was the first time I played the 100w, but for $1000 it's pretty hard to beat. Just use a 15% off code and pick it up for $850 new

This is a 100% true statement.

Black EVHs are for chumps

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
How to ask for advice -

What ...(Insert Gear?)... Threads

(what you should include to get good advice)

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

Paragraphs of information about yourself are nice but we really just need the answers to these 6 things.
I recently purchased the randall rd45 and it's a supernice amp. The clean channel is surprisingly good and the dirt one is ace, lots of low end and more than enough gain (for my needs, mind you). The amp is well worth the money; it sounds awesome and seems sturdy and reliable, time will tell.

I've never played the 5150 (I wish) so I can't really compare them.
The reason i didnt give those answers are because i am just looking for a comparison. I am not looking for suggestions of other amps although it couldnt hurt if anyone had one similar to these two. But the point is i am solely looking for things about these two amps
EVH is pretty great.

That's all I can say. I can't sit here and tell you what tone sounds like.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
To be fair, I haven't played any of the new Randall amps.

I really want to, though.

Can never have too many small or "lunchbox" sized amps.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Well very few people, including myself, have played the Diavlo as where most on here (at least giving advice) have played the 5153. I've only played the 100w version so I guess my opinion may not count.

I have read that the 50w version has its limitations so dollar for dollar it may actually not be the best amp for you. For your money, especially used, there may be better options out there. This is coming from someone who is a big Eddie Van Halen fanboi and an EVH brand fanboi at that. I almost bought one - but decided on a Splawn instead

So if you are strictly only interested in those 2 amps and you come onto an amp forum asking for which is best - the answers you get will be somewhat one-sided in this case. See?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I almost bought one - but decided on a Splawn instead

Interesting. I have a strong desire for a Splawn...
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Ahh it makes sense now. Thanks 311. Sorry if i sounded like a jerk earlier
^ no problem. You might be surprised what else is out there that would work really well for you. If you want 'What Amp?' advice, then now you know how to get it.

^^ Yep. It was a tough choice at first, but I'm really really glad I made the choice I did. But don't get me wrong. The 5153 is probably on my top 10 amps list as well as my bucketlist.
i own the divalvo 20h and its an awesome awesome AWESOME little head. but....id go for the 5153 those amps are insane.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
ah jesus man 5153
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)