Hi!

I play in a punk rock band and we rehearsed for the first time in 2 months now today.
When we rehearse I play a JCM800 (2204) into a Harley Benton cab loaded with v30's, at home I play my clean amp, a valveking 100h.

When I played the JCM800 today I felt like I didn't get the tone I wanted..
It didn't feel very warm (I play it at a a pretty low volume, 9 o clock, but still felt kind of harsh).
I use a Bad Monkey as a clean boost to overdrive the amp since I don't get enough distortion bypass.
That's another thing I noticed, I didn't really appreciate the crunch from the amp..

I listen a lot to band like NOFX, Bad Religion, Pennywise etc. so maybe I've grown into liking mesa's more (I especially like NOFX's tone, Bad Religion has 3 guitars so I can't achieve that thickness alone ). Could it be the tubes? Could it be that we rehearse on a concrete floor in a garage where everything sound prett shitty? Or is it all just in my head?

Last edited by juliusxxrock at Aug 18, 2014,
Yes.

But seriously, it could be all those things. I'd try a fresh set of tubes at first because that's the easiest solution. The wrong room can have a big effect as well, but not so much that you couldn't compensate with some tweaking I'd think. You may just want something different, it happens all the time, tastes change. It's hard to say, the only way to know is to try stuff until you get an answer.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Could be the tubes. Normally the 800s have more balls than a lot of other amps. I find mine is pretty beefy running into both v30s and g12-t75s
But then again I have mullards in the pre and winged Cs in the power.

Dual rec could work. But how do you like the peavey? Could you take that to rehearsal and see how that sounds.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Go try some new amps and see what you like.

You could probably get a used dual rec for a reasonable price these days but I have never looked as I'm personally not a fan.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
it could be the fact that the last you played it was 2months ago. 9o'clock seems pretty low to me and i believe most marshalls dont sound good (they sound harsh and thin) unless they are being goosed a bit.

could be tubes but not sure. throw down a rug or carpet on that floor though, that will eat away at the frequencies on the high and low end of the spectrum and warm everything up a bit.

maybe its just time for a change, at times we need that to stay fresh
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Did you love the amp before?

If you all if a sudden don't like it, something is up. Yes it could be the tubes or something, but it could also just be your perception of the amp. You've been using a different setup for 2 months and you just have this memory of what the marshall sounded like. I'd give it another couple of chances. Play with it and turn some knobs and tweak. If you're still convinced that it just doesn't sound as good, something may be wrong with it.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
^sound advice as well

Here are my thoughts:

For the record, I have a Splawn Quick Rod (very similar to your JCM800) and I run the volume around 9:30 or 10:00. I also use a Bad Monkey but not for more gain, only as a boost. I have my gain on the amp at 2pm. I run =C= EL34s, JJ preamp tubes, and a JAN Phillips 5751 in the phase inverter. I also used to own a Valveking. I also play in the basement.

Here are the differences: I don't gig in a band and my basement has carpet, insulation, and dry wall.

Now, if you just are not digging the tone of the JCM800 anymore - there is nothing wrong with that. There was a guy on here just the other week with the same issue. Normally, I would say get some fresh decent tubes in there before giving up but if you've listened to a bunch of 800 clips and your opinion is the same then I wouldn't spend money on tubes.

That said, if you want to sell your amp yourself (like on Craigslist) you will want it to sound good to sell it. It is possible it really does need new tubes. You may be able to sell it as is - just saying. The concrete in the basement is definitely an issue. My hunch is that issue will hamper the tone of any amp. What I would do is get a bunch of carpet remnants and cardboard boxes and try to dampen the crappy frequencies. These can be had for cheap if not free.

I just got a Single Rec - Solo 50. It is Rectoverb. It is a 50 watt head with two channels and different modes per channel. I just replaced the 6L6 tubes with EL34 power tubes and man that thing has more cut and snarl than ever. The Rectos just have this huge three dimensional sound that other amps don't have.

So you could get some new EL34 tubes for your JCM800 and maybe a new JJ 12AX7 and see what happens with a tube swap. Worst case scenario is you keep the new tubes for your next amp and sell the 800 as is.

Oh by the way - I got my Single Rec Rectoverb used at Guitar Center for $490

PS: Yes 9 oclock volume is pretty low. Also, if you want a good practice amp look at the Vypyr 60 tube hybrid.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 18, 2014,
Sounds to me like you need a Recto.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
In my experience, changing tubes hasnt resulted in a magnificent change of tone. But on the other hand, ive never heard or experienced dying tubes. Try to take a little break from your amp and then let somebody else who is decent at guitar play it. Sometimes i hate my tone for no reason, then i hear somebody else play my amp and the perspective change is refreshing
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Last time I saw NOFX they were using Rectos (Dual Rec IIRC). So were Pennywise.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Last time I saw NOFX they were using Rectos (Dual Rec IIRC). So were Pennywise.

Yeah, they might have been using those once, but when I saw them a couple of months ago, one used Mark V and the other dude used some EvH amp..

I'm seeing Pennywise soon though, so I'll check out Fletchers amp. I hate his tone tho
Mark V would be a fine choice.

Or dare to be different and go for a SLO. SLO's sound awesome for that sort of music, even if few ever use them for it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification