A couple days ago I got a metal muff nano which I love, it nails thrash rythyms perfectly but its a little ice picky for leads. So I'm looking for a pedal for a smooth creamy lead tone. I play a lot of pedal riffs and do a lot of fast hammer ons and pull offs so I need a pedal that will pick them up well. I am thinking of a rat, big muff, or big muff with tone wick. Amp- valveking 112, guitar- black walnut strat HSS with dragonfire invaders
My main axe is made from the crucifix, strung with barbed wire, and tuned to z standard then i use a boss metal zone, gain 10, into a line 6, bass 10, mid 0, treble 10, this is the only way to be truly brootal
something tubescreamer-based. use it to either boost your od channel or your distortion pedal. if you want more creaminess and sustain you probably don't want a distortion pedal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
OK thanks, but the big muff... Its so iconic! Hendrix used a muff, but I don't think it was ehx
My main axe is made from the crucifix, strung with barbed wire, and tuned to z standard then i use a boss metal zone, gain 10, into a line 6, bass 10, mid 0, treble 10, this is the only way to be truly brootal
Quote by elsatanica
OK thanks, but the big muff... Its so iconic! Hendrix used a muff, but I don't think it was ehx

For the most part Hendrix used a Fuzz Face (and variations of that circuit) there's no real proof he used a Muff, although Mike Matthews claims to have given him one.
Although that doesn't change that a Muff is a great thick lead sound, a la J Mascis and David Gilmour.

I'd still recommend a Tubescreamer or some other overdrive like that though.

edit: what kind of creamy lead tones you looking for? Any bands/guitarist in mind?
Last edited by jaybals at Aug 19, 2014,
Kirk hammets tone on one (that's the only tone I like from him) billy corgan, David Gilmore, hendrix when he wasn't bashing guitars, slash
I say deviever hyperion because it cuts through so god damn well, but be warned I doesn't clean up very well and has some compression which isn't always a bad thing. I'm only naming it because your looking for a muff for leads.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by elsatanica
Kirk hammets tone on one (that's the only tone I like from him) billy corgan, David Gilmore, hendrix when he wasn't bashing guitars, slash

So here's what I think: You'll need different pedals. Kirk Hammet is regular thrash distortion, Slash is also tube distortion, while everyone else you listed is fuzz, and different types at that. If you're happy with the Nano Metal muff, use that for Kirk Hammet and Slash. I suggest getting a Green Rhino for the overall 'solo' pedal. For a Fuzz pedal, I suggest either a Way huge Swollen pickle or the Deluxe Big Muff Pi since they allow different "flavors" of fuzz, and quite well.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
OK thanks, I will go with a muff just because I'm an ehx fan boy and even though I listen to metal I pretty much hate all metal guitarists lead tones, especially the nu "metal" ones, and I want a muff to do some smashing pumpkins style stuff. But is the tone wicker one good?
The tone wicker is good. It works well with bright, high output pickups. Meaning, it isn't as bright or gainy as the regular Big Muff Pi. with the tone switch on and wicker off. It's also quieter. So what pickups do you have?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
The tone wicker is good. It works well with bright, high output pickups. Meaning, it isn't as bright or gainy as the regular Big Muff Pi. with the tone switch on and wicker off. It's also quieter. So what pickups do you have?

I have SD crusader clones. They're actually better than the real thing, a lot less muddy and more mids. And they're in walnut which is a kinda bright wood with a complex mid range and not a lot of highs.
Quote by elsatanica
Hendrix used a muff, but I don't think it was ehx

pretty sure it was since they invented the muff and at that point there weren't tons of bootweakers making muff clones...

hendrix was mainly fuzz face though i think
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
So here's what I think: You'll need different pedals. Kirk Hammet is regular thrash distortion, Slash is also tube distortion, while everyone else you listed is fuzz, and different types at that. If you're happy with the Nano Metal muff, use that for Kirk Hammet and Slash. I suggest getting a Green Rhino for the overall 'solo' pedal. For a Fuzz pedal, I suggest either a Way huge Swollen pickle or the Deluxe Big Muff Pi since they allow different "flavors" of fuzz, and quite well.

yeah (though i'd say any tubescreamer-style pedal would do for the "solo" pedal)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Uh, do you mean Invader clones? At any rate, I don't know what to say for this one. With that kind of output I'd say the tone wicker and hope for the best on the highs. To my ears, the tone wicker with the stock settings I mentioned is smoother, not as fizzy. I really want to say Swollen Pickle because you can really nail specific tones with it. Example: I have a SH-6 in my So Cal, and with the trim pots turned down I can get the Siamese Dream sound, which is Strats with single coils on a big muff. With these pedals, I've found it really does depend on what gear you use.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Uh, do you mean Invader clones? At any rate, I don't know what to say for this one. With that kind of output I'd say the tone wicker and hope for the best on the highs. To my ears, the tone wicker with the stock settings I mentioned is smoother, not as fizzy. I really want to say Swollen Pickle because you can really nail specific tones with it. Example: I have a SH-6 in my So Cal, and with the trim pots turned down I can get the Siamese Dream sound, which is Strats with single coils on a big muff. With these pedals, I've found it really does depend on what gear you use.

No I mean crusader. The invaders clone the crusaders, dragonfire invader, SD crusader. And my amp is really dark so I think everything is pretty much evened out I will get the big muff with tone wick, thanks for the replies
It seems to be relatively unknown so far, but the TC Dark Matter is amazing for leads. Even with higher gain settings it sounds very pleasant and clear.