hey,

i just wanna know if anything would happen if i plug a stereo jack into a mono input?

im going to buy a DI that splits my signal to two xlr's
but what i need is to then get an xlr-to-jack to plug it into my amp(s)
the thing is that the webstie where i buy my music supplies the xlr-to-mono jack cables are only in a more expensive version €15 while the ones with stereo jacks are only €5
would it make a difference to just get the ones with stereo jack and plug it into the mono input of my amp?
the signal itself is mono anyway since it comes from my guitar.

thanks in advance
The signal coming from the XLR output on the DI box shouldn't be going to your amp, unless it's some kind of DI box I haven't seen before. There should be a standard guitar cable sized output on the box that's meant to go to the amp, and you just use a standard guitar cable for it. The XLR outputs should be going to a mixer or PA or something.

Typically, stereo and mono cables can be mixed with no problem, as long as the signal is mono to begin with, but only if you're going between various devices with line-level input and output. You shouldn't ever plug anything but a standard instrument cable into the input of your amp. If won't necessarily damage anything if you use something else, but the sound won't be right, and it'll hinder your tone.
Your explanation wasn't accurate enough to say.

Why do you want to get a DI box and what's the exact DI box?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
if you are trying to DI your guitar and to your amp at the same time. use the LINK output to go to your amp.

If you are trying to split your signal, buy an ABY box

the impedance from the XLR out on the DI will not match the impedance of your amps input and will not sound the same.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
this si the DI: Behringer DI20

the reason i want to use a DI and this one in specific is because from what i heard y-cables aren't efective, ABY-boxes are expensive
this DI is very cheap and i dont want to buy an expensive ABY because i just want to experiment so i dont want to spend a bunch of money for nothing
and i just want a permanent signal split anyway dont need any switching capabilities

the website of the DI says:
"By flipping a switch, you can use the DI20 as ... or a split-signal feeding two separate amps."
but it only has XLR outputs, thats why i need those cables

another thing about it is that it has 2 modes:
2ch - 2 inputs and two outputs
and a mode called LINK which send the signal from one in to two outs
im gessing this turns both outs to link outs
Last edited by DarkWaysLight at Aug 19, 2014,
you can build an AB/Y box for less than £10

and stay away from behringer... they are renowned for their poor QC and will most likely have a horrific noise floor.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Y cables work just fine as splitter cables, what they're not good at is summing signals.

Also DI boxes are not ideal for what you want to do.
I mean they would work but a simple ABY box would work just as good, as a Y cable would if you needed it to split the signal and send it into two different inputs.

As for the schem, use the second on this page ( http://www.rane.com/note109.html ) and use two TS jacks instead of a TRS one.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.