Hey!
I was looking for a new amp and i always wanted Engl. So i didnt know if i should buy Engl Fireball 2(100w) or Powerball 1 (first version) (because I can get them very cheap). but then everyone advised me that i must go for powerball 1, so now I just bought ENGL Powerball. And i am kinda disappointed .. I am playing stuff like Megadeth or pantera,..Thrash and alot of metalcore... and i cant get a good sound out of it.
And now i am asking if it is just that I dont know how to set the settings right.. or did i failed with an amp for that kind a music. ?
My box is home made with celestion g12t-75.

and another question.... Do you think I should get just a new box with "v30" ? or is the best way to sell the powerball and buy fireball (new version 100w) instead ?
if it's just settings pls tell me how should i set them... Gain,bass,mid,treble, presence , depth ??

Please help me tnx
Last edited by bboyjure at Aug 18, 2014,
Do you have a guitar store nearby? Maybe take it there and ask if you can play over a couple of different cabs just to get a feel for what the amp does with different speakers.
Other than that I can't really comment on the actual amp itself. I do know that it should be able to do some very decent high-gain tones. From what I've heard from word-of-mouth as well as recordings the Powerball seems to have a little more bottom-end grit and a little tighter gain than the Fireball, which should mean that thrash tones are right in its ballpark.

The fireball on the contrary has a very rich and smooth gain structure, even though the 60w version is a little lacking in the midrange department. I have a Fireball (the 60w old version) myself and the other guitarist in my band owns a new version (100w) and while they might suit your purposes better (the Fireball -either version- might indeed have been at least an easier choice, as it's a pretty easy amp to dial in) by no means is the Powerball an inferior amp.

But, I think the Powerball should be able to do tones like the bands you mention pretty well nonetheless. Selling it is an option but you should try it over different speakers, maybe radically change your approach to EQ'ing the thing, maybe throw a boost in front of it or an EQ in its FX loop, perhaps even try a different guitar... the possibilities are endless.
Last edited by Eryth at Aug 18, 2014,
i don't have a powerball but normally i'd run the treble and presence lower, and the bass and mids higher, since engls are pretty bright.

also +1 on trying different cabs. g12t75s are pretty good for thrash.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a powerball 1 and run a 4x12 with speakers similar to 75's. What settings are you using? Chris Broderick (Megadeth) has his settings for his Powerball 1 posted and you can find them via google and use that then tweak it to your liking.

Personally, for thrashy stuff, I use channel 3, gain just under 12 o clock, bass at 10 o clock, mid open at 2 o clock, treble at 1 o clock, bass boost off, presence at 1 o clock, and depth punch at 3 o clock.

If you can't get anything you like after about an hour of tweaking, then go test different cabs with different speakers. If you still can't get anything, then consider selling.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
Quote by thebestjoe
I have a powerball 1 and run a 4x12 with speakers similar to 75's. What settings are you using? Chris Broderick (Megadeth) has his settings for his Powerball 1 posted and you can find them via google and use that then tweak it to your liking.

Personally, for thrashy stuff, I use channel 3, gain just under 12 o clock, bass at 10 o clock, mid open at 2 o clock, treble at 1 o clock, bass boost off, presence at 1 o clock, and depth punch at 3 o clock.

If you can't get anything you like after about an hour of tweaking, then go test different cabs with different speakers. If you still can't get anything, then consider selling.

Thx for reply I know that Chris uses Engl. Sometimes fireball sometimes powerball..but i have searched for chris's settings and i cant find them anywhere. :/ if you know where to find them please sand me a link
Thx again for help....to all you guys
Quote by bboyjure
Thx for reply I know that Chris uses Engl. Sometimes fireball sometimes powerball..but i have searched for chris's settings and i cant find them anywhere. :/ if you know where to find them please sand me a link
Thx again for help....to all you guys

This link has one of his posts. http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/chris-broderick/204813-engl-powerball.html#post3982075
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
I have the powerball also and really enjoy it. Im more into metalcore than thrash, but you should be able to get a thrash tone from it. The above recommended settings by a previous poster should work pretty well. And ive tried chris brodericks settings that he posted on his forum and they sounded pretty good also.

Bare in mind thay the open/focus switch drastically changes the character of the amp. Lately i have been playing only focused mode (pushed in) and its very midrangey, punchy, and warm. From my own experience, i wouldnt run the presence any higher than 1-130, and the depth 2-3 at most. I usually have the bottom boost off, but i wonder how it would sound engaged recorded and then a high pass filter around 100. Might add more punch in a positive way. Live it might be too much though.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Watterboy
I have the powerball also and really enjoy it. Im more into metalcore than thrash, but you should be able to get a thrash tone from it. The above recommended settings by a previous poster should work pretty well. And ive tried chris brodericks settings that he posted on his forum and they sounded pretty good also.

Bare in mind thay the open/focus switch drastically changes the character of the amp. Lately i have been playing only focused mode (pushed in) and its very midrangey, punchy, and warm. From my own experience, i wouldnt run the presence any higher than 1-130, and the depth 2-3 at most. I usually have the bottom boost off, but i wonder how it would sound engaged recorded and then a high pass filter around 100. Might add more punch in a positive way. Live it might be too much though.

Tnx
I personally like thrash more...but i am in Metalcore band, so can I ask you how are your settings on your powerball right now ..or when you are playing metalcore ? Maybe your settings will work better in this band
I wont be home for some time to check, but from memory i am going:
Ltd mh 401(emg 85 bridge and 81 neck) to greenie classic tubescreamer gain 0 and volume 5/10, to engl powerball channel 3 gain 6/10, treble 4.75/10, bass 6/10, mids 9/10, presence 6/10, depth punch 6.5/10, focus mode off (button depressed), and low end boost on. I toggle the low end boost on and off occasionally, and when i do leads i just push in the focus button. The rhythm tone sounds very bfmv to me
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69