Hey!
I was looking for a new amp and i always wanted Engl. So i didnt know if i should buy Engl Fireball 2(100w) or Powerball 1 (first version) (because I can get them very cheap). but then everyone advised me that i must go for powerball 1, so now I just bought ENGL Powerball. And i am kinda disappointed .. I am playing stuff like Megadeth or pantera,..Thrash and alot of metalcore... and i cant get a good sound out of it.
And now i am asking if it is just that I dont know how to set the settings right.. or did i failed with an amp for that kind a music. ?
My box is home made with celestion g12t-75.

and another question.... Do you think I should get just a new box with "v30" ? or is the best way to sell the powerball and buy fireball (new version 100w) instead ?
if it's just settings pls tell me how should i set them... Gain,bass,mid,treble, presence , depth ??

Please help me tnx
free bump day

First of all, I'm not an Engl expert. I have played the Fireball 60 head and thought it was pretty decent. The word on the street is that the Powerball II is far better than the Powerball I. I think the issue people had with the Powerball I was that it was overly compressed and lacking mids and cut. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

As far as the speakers go, you could try a different speaker cabinet (box). I would think Vintage 30s would be a good addition to the Powerball - but another idea would be to get 2 - V30s and put them in an 'X' pattern with your t-75s

V T
T V

That said, there may be some better/cheaper speakers out there that would work even better. WGS Veteran 30 or the Eminence et65.

You may also want to look into the brand and age of your tubes.

You may want to grab an OD (Overdrive) pedal to boost and tighten your amp. A Tubescreamer or Digitech Bad Monkey would work well for Megadeth regardless of the amp used.

As far as settings, my general suggestion is to basically set everything at 12 noon (except the volume) and just start turning dials until you get what you like. Again, maybe someone with more experience with the Powerball can help further.

I'd probably try:

Gain: 2 oclock
Bass: 11 oclock
Mids: 3 oclock
Treble: 12 oclock
Presence: 11 oclock
Depth: 12 oclock
Volume: 9 or 10 oclock

Good luck!
Quote by bboyjure
Megadeth or pantera,..Thrash

Firstly Powerball is probably way too modern and smooth for these tones. Look into a Blackmore or Savage, they would suit you way better. The Blackmore is around the same price as the Fireball 100, it's basically a no-frill Savage.

Also PB is one of those amps that only shows its strength on very downtuned stuff due to the way it's voiced. If you play Megadeth and Pantera I assume you are around standard tuning or drop D?

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I think the issue people had with the Powerball I was that it was overly compressed and lacking mids and cut. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

You may want to grab an OD (Overdrive) pedal to boost and tighten your amp. A Tubescreamer or Digitech Bad Monkey would work well for Megadeth regardless of the amp used.

Powerball raised the hi mid in the overall voicing compared to their older designs like the Savage, but other than that they didn't really cut anything further. Under the same "perceived" volume it would seem like it lacks the lower mids.

Powerball II is better than Powerball I mainly because it fixed some issues on the noise gate.

It's a very very tight amp already, a boost wouldn't really make it better, probably only "narrower" sounding.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Last edited by godgrinder at Aug 19, 2014,
Quote by godgrinder
Firstly Powerball is probably way too modern and smooth for these tones. Look into a Blackmore or Savage, they would suit you way better. The Blackmore is around the same price as the Fireball 100, it's basically a no-frill Savage.

Also PB is one of those amps that only shows its strength on very downtuned stuff due to the way it's voiced. If you play Megadeth and Pantera I assume you are around standard tuning or drop D?

Powerball raised the hi mid in the overall voicing compared to their older designs like the Savage, but other than that they didn't really cut anything further. Under the same "perceived" volume it would seem like it lacks the lower mids.

Powerball II is better than Powerball I mainly because it fixed some issues on the noise gate.

It's a very very tight amp already, a boost wouldn't really make it better, probably only "narrower" sounding.

Do you own a powerball? I own one, and i think i agree with pretty much everything you said here. Seems like you know it well. I noticed that it does seem pretty high-middy, especially with focus mode. It doesnt quite have the same low mid thump that my egnater vengeance has.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69