Hi,

I've known that a power chord is neither major nor minor. I can play power chords pretty well. But I have a problem. To easily understand, for ex, I have a chord progression like F-G-Am (the basic kind of metalcore :P) but at the end of the song I want to finish it with F-G-A (like epic music :P). I don't know how to do it with power chord because A and Am sound the same with PChord.

Thank you!
Quote by nothing.left
Hi,

I've known that a power chord is neither major nor minor. I can play power chords pretty well. But I have a problem. To easily understand, for ex, I have a chord progression like F-G-Am (the basic kind of metalcore :P) but at the end of the song I want to finish it with F-G-A (like epic music :P). I don't know how to do it with power chord because A and Am sound the same with PChord.

Thank you!

Don't use powerchords, use intervals or triads. Powerchords don't really work as chords, they're more like fluffed up single note lines.
Quote by Velcro Man
Don't use powerchords, use intervals or triads. Powerchords don't really work as chords, they're more like fluffed up single note lines.

When the gain is high, how can I play triad? I haven't tried but I think it will be dirty . For ex, how can you play A?
Quote by nothing.left
When the gain is high, how can I play triad? I haven't tried but I think it will be dirty . For ex, how can you play A?

If say

D 2
A 4
E 5

is too dirty, try implying them with arpeggios or just the notes on the E and A string.

Just mess around with different intervals to find what you like, a good reference is the beginning of Go Into The Water by Dethklok
Last edited by Velcro Man at Aug 19, 2014,
It sounds dirty probably because the tuning/intonation on your guitar isnt that good. In order to play major/minor and other complex chords you need to have perfect tuning/intonation, especially the B and G strings. That and you dont need as much gain as you think you do.
Quote by nothing.left

G 6
D 7
A 0

or maybe

D 11
A 0

or

G 14
D 11
A 0

or

G 6