I was about to buy myself an American Strat, but my dad suggested that I buy a 1980s MIJ Squier. I asked him why, and he told me he used to have one, and that they're just as good, if not better than American Strats. I haven't had a chance to try one yet, but I'm curious about their sound. So are they really that good?
Quote by laxer1997
I was about to buy myself an American Strat, but my dad suggested that I buy a 1980s MIJ Squier. I asked him why, and he told me he used to have one, and that they're just as good, if not better than American Strats. I haven't had a chance to try one yet, but I'm curious about their sound. So are they really that good?

Your dad is telling you that all MIJ Squiers are as good as, if not better than American Strats based on the ONE that he had.

No.
I wouldn't touch anything with the name "Squier" on it with a ten foot pole, if an American Fender is within your budget. The Japanese FENDERs that I've played have been great. I've played a few MIJ Fenders from the 90s, both guitars and basses, and they've been on par with the USA ones. I've never played a Japanese Squier, but I've never been impressed with a Squier. Even for their cheap price, I don't think they're worth it.
Buying MIJ Squiers made sense back when they were cheap. But now that the prices have come up you can do a lot better. Just get yourself an MIA strat and you don’t have to second guess your options…until someone convinces you to try a Suhr.
MIA strats are really kind of a waste of money, the REAL Fender to look for is one of the actual MIJ Fenders from the 80s, though I have heard great things about the 80s squiers.
some great, some turds.

that goes for MIJ, MIA, MIM, MI?, etc. but your dad is right that a lot of the old squiers were great guitars for the money. like jpc posted, the prices have jumped on them over the years.

as much as i love my MIJ's there's no telling what you would prefer.
the early MIJ Squiers are pretty decent guitars. be aware though that they have the old specs as well. 7 1/4" fretboard radius, 21 frets and the neck has a gloss finish (maple). the pickups and electronics aren't first rate either. if you love the feel of old strats then they can be a good guitar. as for the 80s MIJ fenders those are pretty good as well but also suffer from the pups and electronics not being great. the US made fenders are good guitars overall and are well worth a look.
Quote by the_bi99man
I wouldn't touch anything with the name "Squier" on it with a ten foot pole, if an American Fender is within your budget. The Japanese FENDERs that I've played have been great. I've played a few MIJ Fenders from the 90s, both guitars and basses, and they've been on par with the USA ones. I've never played a Japanese Squier, but I've never been impressed with a Squier. Even for their cheap price, I don't think they're worth it.

While the cheap Bullet Strats, and even the Afinity Series may be worthy of that sort of opinion, the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified Series of these last years are decent guitars. Not just for the price, but overall.

I currently own 2 American Standard Telecasters and one American Standard Stratocaster, and while they are nice guitars, I do not believe those Squiers are far behind. The craftmanship is outstanding for the price range.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.