Local guitar shop has a used peavey VK100 head. Any personal reviews or experience? I am a Metalcore player. Would you reccomend this head? And before I forget, they are asking $200 for it. Thanks
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7
83 Peavey Patriot Special

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 MKii
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
just save your money for a peavey vypyr tube 60. the red 6505 model will be heaven for you.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
It would only be Good if you plan on running a pedal through it.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
i just dont see a scenario where that amp would make a persom completely satisfied playing metalcore. maybe im wrong.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
$200 is pretty cheap. What pedals do you own?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by DimeShreder1
I am a Metalcore player. Would you reccomend this head?

No.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Look for an used Peavey 6505+ 112 combo.

Throw a Bad Monkey or other overdrive in front of it to tighten it up, and it's perfect for metalcore.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
For $200, if it was me, I'd grab it and mod it. There are heaps of VK mods out in the wild. New speaker, a day or two with a soldering iron, bada bing bada boom, metal amp.
Or can you pick up used 6505's over there for around $200? If so, then yeah, 6505 all the way.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I used to own a VK, back when I used to play metalcore. All of the VK mods out there still didn't put it even close to the 5150 I got after. Owned them at the same time, side by side. The VK is an absolute waste of money for *core tone.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Even the Mesa mod?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Even the Mesa mod?

It works though not really optimal for metalcore I think. But with a tubescreamer its doable. But now that I have the Rockmaster pre its so much better than my modded Valveking that its not even funny.

That reminds me, TS try to find a used Peavey Ultra which my Rockmaster preamp should be based on. Its gainy and tight as **** when the gain knob is pulled. Doesnt even need a tubescreamer, pulling the gain knob already does a noticeable bass cut that clears all mud (bit too much for some).

Anyway, that is incredibly good price for the head though. Too bad its not really THE right amp for you but for someone else that is a damn good deal.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 19, 2014,
Would you guys recommend it if I also bought a line 6 hd500 board to plug into the VK?
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
Quote by DimeShreder1
Would you guys recommend it if I also bought a line 6 hd500 board to plug into the VK?

That would work. Hd500 has some really good amp models and valveking makes a decent power amp. Connect the pod into fx return of the amp, disable cab sims in the pod and you are good to go. Just mind the presence knob. Pod already has presence control that brightens the sound. Adding more presence from valveking will become a fizz fest fast.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 19, 2014,
Quote by MaaZeus
That would work. Hd500 has some really good amp models and valveking makes a decent power amp. Connect the pod into fx return of the amp, disable cab sims in the pod and you are good to go. Just mind the presence knob. Pod already has presence control that brightens the sound. Adding more presence from valveking will become a fizz fest fast.

Thanks for the reply. I have had my eye on the hd500 for a while now. From a lot of the information I have collected if I were to get my hands on a good tube head, plug a HD500 to it, I would be pretty set! Just have to put some time into dialing in a sound I want, and preset my channel selects. This will be a new experience for me, I have owned a spider iv hd150 half stack, used the fbv shortboard to preset my channels. Sold that half stack, I am just looking for more out of a amp now. This will be used live with my band. And as said before thanks for all the feedback guys
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
Quote by MaaZeus
It works though not really optimal for metalcore I think. But with a tubescreamer its doable. But now that I have the Rockmaster pre its so much better than my modded Valveking that its not even funny.

That reminds me, TS try to find a used Peavey Ultra which my Rockmaster preamp should be based on. Its gainy and tight as **** when the gain knob is pulled. Doesnt even need a tubescreamer, pulling the gain knob already does a noticeable bass cut that clears all mud (bit too much for some).

Anyway, that is incredibly good price for the head though. Too bad its not really THE right amp for you but for someone else that is a damn good deal.

I'll second looking for a used Ultra. They're cheap and they sound great.
All day long. Great option.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
I'd just get the peavey vypyr tube 60
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
HD500 into the power amp of a VK would be a fine solution. Stick a better speaker in it though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Even the Mesa mod?

Well I did exaggerate a bit.

I didn't do any internal mods. But I think that's kind a ridiculous step to go to to try to make an amp that was not designed for modern metal at all to do what a 6505 does.

At that point just boost a Jet City or something.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Lol I fell so wishy washy. Plugged up to a couple heads today. Bogner Uberachall, 6505+, and a Mesa dual recto. (All friends of mine amps) Seemed like the 6505+ sounded good especially for the price, but the bogner and Mesa really impressed me ultimately, then I looked at the price. The Mesa didn't bug me as much on price that the bogner did lol. (Found a few good used ones) I am a lead guitar player, I want something that will hit good on lows and sing in solos. I liked the 6505+ but I really loved the Mesa. Just kind of wanting y'all's opinion. I'm not paying that bogner price (unless it comes with a mail order bride) just maybe I could dish out $1900 for a Uberachall on eBay) thank you for y'all's patients.
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG652AHM
Ibanez Prestige RG1527
Ibanez RGT42
Schecter Hellraiser C7

Amps:
EVH 5150iii 50watt head
Mesa 4x12 Cab
Albion GLS-412 Cabinet
Line 6 Spider Jam
In MY opinion, the VK is a great amp. If it's in solid working order and doesn't need anything, its def a great deal at $200.

Yes, there's obviously amps that can do it better but you can get some really solid tones out of it by tweaking the knobs.

I had one for a few years and it treated me really well.

Ran it without any pedals or over drive. I didn't have the greatest cab but whenever we played a show and there was friends with better cabs, I'd use theirs and it was great.

Actually, if someone were selling one locally in good shape for 2 bills, I'd buy that right now.

Use it as a back up for my 5150.
Quote by grim1
WTF is Metalcore????

By the strict definition of the genre its the opposite of Thrash. Thrash mixed hardcore punk elements to metal and metalcore is other way around, hardcore music with metal style riffs. However nowadays, while not exactly correct, the name is usually used (often in deragory manner by more elitist metalheads) for a lot of New Wave Of American Heavy Metal music, Lamb Of God and that style of music.

Thats the best way I can explain it, maybe bit oversimplified. I dont listen to Metalcore nor NWOAHM so I cant really give you examples. But its a real genre with its own subgenres, mostly all of them taking influence from metal counterparts. Like Deathcore from Death Metal.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Sep 10, 2014,